Falling in love with life.
Town: La Libertad, Columbia
- Mother was alcoholic, she spent all the families money and savings on her addiction.
-She had many children, all with different men; who all abandoned her.
-Mother brought in a child named German off the streets, who was 9 years older than Beto(who was the youngest).
-German stole, and beat Beto and his siblings. He was sent to jail.
Environment and Neighborhood
-He lived in the poor community of La Libertad, Medellin.
-The town was full of gangs, which many members of his family joined.
- Gangs were a way for the people to get away from the suffering at home.
-His brother Fredy died of a drug over dose, he was also an active gang member.
- Betto, due to the problems at home turned to the help of the church.
-He wanted to be a community leader.
-He joined an organization called Corporacion Regional.
-He ran recreational, theatrical, and artistic events to motivate children to vote for the childrens movement.
Have they been threatened?
- German threatened to beat Beto and his siblings.
- They were not threatened by gangs in the area though.
Why did he fight for peace?
-Beto was sick of the violence at home and in his community.
-He saw a chance for peace in Colombia.