The Towler Times
September 16th, 2016
A Peek at our Week...
- This week we read Henry and Mudge and the Starry Night. Ask your learner to name a character trait to describe Mudge, or maybe Henry's mom! With this story we reviewed character and setting and began learning how to give text evidence to prove an answer. We also began guided reading groups and centers. The students really enjoy the independence of the centers and being immersed in fun literacy activities such as; buddy reading, listening to reading, Spelling City, etc.
- In social studies, we continued our study of communities.
- In math, we are continuing our work on place value. We have focused this week on all of the different ways to show a number such as; standard form, word form, base ten form, unit form, and expanded form.
- In writing, we are finishing up a summer writing project. We continued working on our heart maps. We also practiced friendly letter writing by writing letters to our Star of the Week.
3 Different Ways to Solve the Same Problem...
Everyone Sharing Their Thinking...
I Think They Enjoyed our First Read Aloud....
Read aloud is one of my favorite times of the day. I thoroughly enjoyed the student's engagement while I read my favorite book, The Chocolate Touch. Daily, the students begged me to not stop reading. We were all sad that the story had to come to an end, but we are all looking forward to a year FULL of stories that take us on amazing adventures. Ask you learner to share his/her favorite part of The Chocolate Touch with you!
Most Fridays your learner will be writing a newsletter explaining his/her favorite/most meaningful moments of the week. If you keep the year's worth of newsletters...by the end of the year you should have a nice snapshot of our 2nd grade year. In addition, you will be able to see your learner's writing growth from the beginning of the year to the end.
Star of the Week...Sam!!
Hi! My name is Sam. This week I was Star of the Week. On Tuesday I brought in a Buckeye and Steeler's pennant. I love ice cream cake and I read book to the class. I read the book My Two Holidays because it's all about me. That's what I did as Star of the Week.
Written and Typed By: Sam
- September 23rd: School Spirit Day: Wear crazy socks and/or Geneva HS spirit wear to celebrate Homecoming
- October 7th: Grandparent's Day
- September 6th - October 11th: Columbus Race
Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.