Team Thomson News & Notes
December 4, 2017
Important Information for You!
Early Release Day-Follow-up
As I had shared earlier in November and Melissa Wing discussed at our Early Release PD last week, there is some wonderful resources/modules regarding the Essentials for Early Literacy put out by the MDE. In the link below you can register for full access, but even without registering you can get to a video section that links you to short YouTube videos that demonstrate the bullets in each of the essentials. Currently, there are five videos demonstrating Essential 1. Again, I encourage you to visit the site.
Also discussed was the Michigan E-Library. Here is the link to that wonderful free resource for potential shared reading titles.
Lastly, I took time to read through the PD surveys. First, while I greatly support time to work together, the reason we gave a short time to work on writing lesson plans for the shared reading titles was so that Megan, Melissa, and I could answer questions arose. Refocusing on Balanced Literacy is very important and we will continue to focus on this. I encourage you to work with your PLC as well to further develop your understanding. In speaking with Megan, Crystal and Lori after the PD, we will be working out a systematic plan for PLCs to work on Shared Reading lesson plans that support the curriculum map. We will discuss this plan at our next staff meeting. In the meantime, if there are Balanced Literacy topics that you would like to see professional development offered on, please let Megan or I know.
Cool to Care
We are getting very close to our Cool to Care goal. I know this is coming late, but anyone who donates $5 or bring in 10 items tomorrow will receive a 'jean day coupon'. Please turn in money to the office or let us know if you bring in the 10 items on the envelope sheet and I will get the coupons out Tuesday.
Save the Date-Genesee County Literacy Conference
As Megan and I shared, the Genesee County Literacy Conference is Saturday, January 20, 2018 from 8:00 a.m. -2:30 p.m. If you are interested in going, please let me know and as soon as the registration is available I will let you know.
As most of you are aware, I will be out of the building this Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday as I attend the Michigan Elementary and Middle School Principals Association Conference in Traverse City. Amy Chorley will continue as Head Teacher and Ron Adam has been hired by the district to cover Central and Thomson. I am sure that everything will carry on as usual, however, I will be monitoring email and my phone between sessions.
Quotes Worth Reading
"Be around the light bringers,
the magic makers, the world shifters,
the game shakers.
They challenge you, break you open,
uplift + expand you.
They don't let you play small with your life.
These heartbeats are your people.
These people are your tribe."
I love my Thomson tribe, together we can move mountains!
Celebrations & Announcements
Happy Birthday to: Brenda Pietras, December 5th...Happy Birthday to you!
Important Upcoming Dates:
- Monday, December 4th-Cool to Care ends; PTO Flower Sale Pick-up, Delivery at 1 p.m. and Pick-up from 3-6 p.m.; Board of Education meeting, 7 p.m. H.S. AMR
- Wednesday, December 6th-Cool to Care Pick-up; Social Studies Curriculum Committee, 4:15-6:15 p.m.; ELA Curriculum Mapping Teacher, 3:45-?
- Wednesday, December 6th-Friday, December 8th-Natalie attends MEMSPA
- Week of December 10th-PLC Week
- Tuesday, December 12th-Child Study Day (please be sure to fill out the SIDR); DI Meeting, 4:15-5:15 p.m.
- Wednesday, December 13th-Staff Meeting, 7:35 a.m. (Agenda: Social Studies survey; Special Education Qualifiers; ELA Curriculum Mapping Update/Plans)
- Monday, December 18th-Handsome Harry visits; PTO meeting, 6:30 p.m.
- Tuesday, December 19th-Handsome Harry visits; Staff Luncheon put on by the Office Staff
- Friday, December 22nd-Christmas Vacation begins at the end of the day!