Chandler High Wolf Bytes
School of Champions
May 8, 2017
TRACK TEAMS WIN STATE
The CHS Girls and Boys Track Teams are 2017 State Champions! Chandler Girls won their 11th state championship in 12 years, finishing with 187 points, and Chandler Boys won the state title by two points over Desert Vista, making them back-to-back champions. For the second year in a row the boys state championship came down to the final event of the meet, and for the second year in a row the boys showed their grit. Going into Saturday, the boys team was down by 18 points. They knew they had a chance, but it came down to everyone executing their discipline and competing at a high level. The teams are head coached by Eric Richardson and Russell Scott. Congratulations, Wolves!
2017-18 STUDENT COUNCIL ELECTION RESULTS
Congratulations to the newly elected 2017-18 Student Body Executive and Class Officers:
- Student Body Executive Officers: Bridget Abraham (Student Body President), Rene Rutia Plancarte, Kacey Huntsman, Alejandro Fernandez, Mayci Vannsap, Dalton Mitchell, Jackson Zuber, Abel Uriarte, Aidan Eckstein
- Senior Class: Alexia Hicks, Aleyna Mee, Aubrey Katterman, Kalina Berggren, Kassandra Agramon, Selena Dominguez
- Junior Class: Anna Iverson, Damijah Carter, Kameron Dawson, Randi Mitchell, Ruth Chavez, Ty Templeton
- Sophomore Class: Alana Alfredo, Austin Morrow, Hannah Matlack, Jazmyn Montez-Williams, Miranda Gonzalez, Tessa Cowell
SWIMMERS COMPETE INTERNATIONALLY
Chandler High has two exceptional swimmers who have gained a great deal of respect in international competitions.
Freshman Sydney Chun recently competed in the Singapore National Age Group Meet where she won the 400 Individual Medley and placed second in the 200 Butterfly.
Sophomore Jarod Arroyo competed in the Puerto Rico Nationals where he won two events- the 200 Individual Medley and the 400 Individual Medley. Jarod also placed 2nd in the 800 Freestyle.
Congratulations to two amazingly fast Wolves!
This past week, several Chandler High Softball Players were named to the All-Premier Region and All-CUSD Teams. Those honored included:
- Rachel Brown, Grade 11 (2nd Team: Catcher)
- Emily Castle, Grade 10 (2nd Team: Pitcher)
- Courtney Schollmeyer, Grade 10 (2nd Team: Position Player)
- Sydney Babik, Grade 9 (2nd Team: Position Player)
- Lilly Saucedo, Grade 9 (2nd Team: Position Player)
- Abbey Brumfiel, Grade 12 (Honorable Mention)
- Allison Pangaldan, Grade 11 (Honorable Mention)
- Sydney Babik, Grade 9 (1st Team: Utility Player)
- Emily Castle, Grade 10 (Honorable Mention)
- Rachel Brown, Grade 11 (Honorable Mention)
Congratulations to Zach Barnes and Antoine Mistico (1st Team), Pedro Trejo (2nd Team), Brady Lamb and Jordan Gonzalez (Honorable Mention) for being named to the Premier All-Region Team.
Mikaila Williams (pictured right) was named to the All-Premier Sand VB Team and All-CUSD Sand VB Team. Additionally, Rosa Alvarado was named to the All-CUSD team and Honorable Mention to the All-Premier Team. Congratulations, Mikaila and Rosa!
Last week's WINS
- Boys Volleyball def. Hamilton 3-0 in Round 1 of State Playoffs
- CHS Unified Basketball (pictured below) tied Hamilton 39-39
THIS WEEK’S home EVENTS
- Tuesday, May 9th: Varsity Boys Volleyball vs Mountain View in Round 2 of the Playoffs @ 6:30 pm. Adults $10 and Students $5- doors will open for sales at 5:30pm; CHS Awards Night for freshmen, sophomores and juniors in the top 5% and Department Winners @ 6:00pm in the CCA Main
- Wednesday, May 10th: CHS Scholarship Night @ 6:00pm in the CCA Main
- Thursday, May 11th during both lunches: CHS Honors Academic Celebration; Theatre Quarter 4 Showcase @ 7:00pm in the CCA Bogle
DISTRICT 9 CONGRESSIONAL ART EXHIBIT
Congresswoman Kyrsten Sinema’s 5th Annual District 9 Art Competition and Exhibit was held on April 29th at the Art Institute of Phoenix. Congratulations to Kaden Dawson for earning 3rd place in Photography.
BEGINNING DANCE CONCERT
CHS Beginning Dancers performed 15 terrific numbers in front of a packed Bogle Theatre two nights last week. Students performed their own choreography beautifully. The dancers are directed by Mrs. Kathie Buren and Mrs. Marie South.
Most IB Art students participate In the International Baccalaureate Visual Arts program for two years. Students record a variety of information such as planning out their exhibition (artwork) pieces, studying different artists, studying different cultures worldwide, self-reflections, experimenting with different mediums, i.e. pastel, charcoal, acrylic and oil paint, etc, and making gallery visits. Students also complete a comparative study where they research different artists who have similarities to their own studio work. Congratulations to Nicolas Brown, Leslie Portillo, Genevieve Robillard, and Chloe Wong for completing their IB requirements and exhibits. Pictured is an accumulation of the students’ studio work. Their teacher is Ms. Jennifer Knoll.
STATE BAND FESTIVAL
The CHS Symphonic Band earned a Superior rating at the ABODA State Festival. In addition to performing, CHS also hosted the multiple-day event at the Chandler Center for the Arts. Thanks to CHS Band Directors, members and volunteers for providing a great experience for high school bands across the state!
Support CHS Band by dropping off unwanted items from 8:00-11:00am on Saturday, May 20th in the junior parking lot for their Goodwill fundraiser. The more items you donate, the more money band can raise!
IMPORTANT INFO FOR GRADUATING SENIORS
- Starting May 1st, if you would like to invite parents, grandparents and great grandparents who have graduated from Chandler High School to the 2017 graduation ceremony, we have arranged for special seating on the grass on Austin Field for multi-generational families. To have your request approved, please pick up a form from Mrs. Claudio in the admin office, have it completed and returned by May 15th.
- Also starting on May 1st, for those of you who will have family members or friends attending the graduation who require handicapped seating, we will start taking names and assign seating on May 1st. Please see Mrs. Baum in the admin office for further details and to make the arrangements.
Graduation is right around the corner! Check out other important senior information on the senior webpage.
Mark your calendars with these important dates leading up to graduation: