Rethinking "Space" & "Time"
FLIPPING EMPHASIZES LEARNING BY DOING
3. OR YOUR ENTIRE CLASSROOM STRUCTURE
GO BIG OR STAY SMALL......
IT'S HELPFUL TO ADD A DISCUSSION COMPONENT TO THE FLIP. EDMODO IS A GREAT WAY TO DO THIS. STUDENTS SUPPORTING EACH OTHER.
Benefits of a flipped learning environment
2. Makes learning more personal
3. Repurpose time for inquiry and application
4. Students can watch a video over and over until they gain increased confidence with the material
5. Teachers can spend more time giving students individual support and attention
6. Get your students engaged in some of the higher tiers of Bloom's Taxonomy (evaluation and creation!)
7. Move students from being passive learners to being active learners
WHAT IS FLIPPING?
Recommended Guidelines for Videos Used in a Flipped Lesson
- For example: A 10th grade class the "direct instruction video" should be about 10-15 minutes max.
- Better to make/use more videos of an appropriate length than fewer videos that are too long.
- Videos can be created by you (film yourself) or videos that you find online.
IS FLIPPING FOR EVERYONE?
WHERE does THE FLIPPED CLASSROOM MODEL MAKES THE MOST SENSE FOR YOUR COURSE?
The following questions may help you identify a good place to start:
- What classes do you currently have an in-class activity that you rarely have time to complete during class and requires the students to apply their knowledge and skills?
- What concepts or topics do students struggle the most to understand based on exam scores and/or assignment grades?
- What topics would students benefit from the opportunity to apply the concepts within the classroom where your expertise could guide their development?
What do i do with the time i have gained?
TOOLS TO FLIP
An interactive whiteboard that helps you create flipped lesson. Also try, educreations.
And follow @flippedlearning on twitter:
Khan Academy,a non-profit educational organization created by educator Salman Khan provides "a free, world-class education for anyone, anywhere". The organization produces micro lectures in form of YouTube videos. Resources are available for free.