"Keep Calm and Carry On"
This Title is a Saying in the Battle of Britain
Summary of Event
Before this all took place June 17, 1940 France was defeated in a battle against another country and being the defeated Britain was left to defend itself, and this was before it gave up some of its bases to change its tactics. This hurt Britain a lot, and this hurt because their resources came from France. Without these things, food, shelter, and weapons to fight back were diminished. This battle was won by Britain. This is because America would send ammunition, trucks, fire arms, and other goods through their Lend Lease Policy. Also because the Germans lacked intelligence.
There was one point in the war where the Germans had the advantage, but because they lacked experience and resources, they were not well trained and failed. In concussion the war was won based of of intelligence and resources, and it was won because of those reasons.
FIRST HAND ACCOUNT
"It was really a terrific sight and quite beautiful. First they seemed just a cloud of light as the sun caught the many glistening chromium parts of their engines, their windshields, and the spin of their airscrew discs. Then, as our squadron hurtled nearer, the details stood out. I could see the bright-yellow noses of Messerschmitt fighters sandwiching the bombers, and could even pick out some of the types. The sky seemed full of them, packed in layers thousands of feet deep. They came on steadily, wavering up and down along the horizon. 'Oh, golly,' I thought, 'golly, golly . . .'" Walter Graebner~
FACTS AND STATISTICS
- One of the battle formations that British Air Force used is called the four fingers. There was the flight leader, the flight leaders wing man, the element leader, and the element leaders wing man.
- The Finger Four tactic becomes a squadron of basically four of the same groups. They would travel together then each formation would split if they had to. They were also identified by colors Blue, Red, Yellow, and Green.
- In Britain, the officially start to finish dates are 10 July – 31 October 1940, overlapping with the period of large-scale night attacks known as "The Blitz."
- The Battle of Britain has been described as the first major campaign to be fought entirely by air.
- During this time factories, homes, and many other places became targets of the German air forces. This was because the more they bombed these things they would end up short of people, ammunition, and other resources to use.
The Independent. Independent Digital News and Media, n.d. Web. 09 Feb. 2016. https://thebattleofbritan.wikispaces.com/Background
History.com." History.com. A&E Television Networks, n.d. Web. 09 Feb. 2016.
Seth Konoza's Modeling and Animation Portfolio: Environment Game Models (World War II). N.p., n.d. Web. 09 Feb. 2016.
Spitfire Pulled from Irish Peat Bog." Times of Malta. N.p., n.d. Web. 09 Feb. 2016.