Mrs. Hernandez's Family News
May 8, 2016
Important Dates & Information
May 6-Let's Celebrate our Mothers with Mom's & Manicures at 8:30 a.m. in our family room. More information is coming!
May 14-Crawfish Boil at The Waters, 12:00 noon-7:00 p.m. All proceeds benefit the Pike Road Patriot FundMay 20-C1 Market Day! (see more information below)
May 19-Ocean/Aquarium Exhibition Night and Market Preview Night 5:30 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. More information coming
May 20-Community One Market Day for our learners
May 23- Let's Celebrate our Dads with Kickball with Dads at 1:30 p.m. More information coming.
May 24-Let's Celebrate our Learners' Birthdays Party. More information to come.
May 26-Last Day for Learners
Please make sure that you send in $5.00 cash to help cover supplies for a masterpiece that our learners are creating for your family. Your support with this is greatly appreciated and I assure you that you will be pleasantly surprised! Please send in A.S.A.P!
We Had a Blast at the Inaugural Patriot Games & Spring Fling!
Our Ocean Zones Are Completed!
Our Baby Humpback Whale
Again, our learners used their mad math skills to solve for "x" in determining how wide to make the baby whale's tail fin. I am astounded at their abilities when given a little assistance.
Our Twilight Zone
Our Twilight & Midnight Zones
Our Learners Participated in A T-Shirt Design Contest for their LC2 Spirit Shirts for Next School Year
Getting Ready for our Manicures, Muffins, & Moms Celebration
Watch Our Wonderful Celebration of Our Mothers
Teacher Appreciation Week
Mr. Matt Entertains Us For The Last Time This Year
WE ARE SO THANKFUL FOR HIS SERVICE TO OUR PRS LEARNERS!
Check Some More Fun That is Available For Our Learners This Summer With Mr. Matt at The Pike Road Library
Pike Road Branch Library’s Summer Library Program 2016
Summer Reading Challenge – The Challenge Begins Monday, June 6.
For Picture Book Readers: For every five books read by a child in the “I Can Read All By Myself” category or read to a child by a grown-up in the “My Grown-up Reads to Me” category, readers may earn one treasure from Captain Matt’s treasure chest. The reader in each category who has enjoyed the most books by the end of the program will receive a Books-A-Million gift card courtesy of the Friends of the Pike Road Branch Library. Readers may begin recording titles on their reading logs on June 6. Reading logs must be turned in by 6 p.m. on Friday, July 15. The top readers in each category will be announced during the final summer event on July 26 at 3 p.m.
For Chapter Book Readers: For the Chapter Book Challenge, kids will record the number of pages read instead of the number of books. Once a reader finishes a book, he or she will record the title and total number of pages in the book on the reading log. Grown-ups must verify the number of pages read by initialing the page counts for each book on the child’s reading log. We will have three categories:
- Rising Second Graders through Rising Fourth Graders
- Rising Fifth Graders through Rising Eighth Graders
- Rising Ninth Graders through Rising Twelfth Graders
The top reader in each category will be determined by total pages read and will receive a Books-A-Million gift card courtesy of the Friends of the Pike Road Branch Library. Readers may begin recording titles on their reading logs on June 6. Reading logs must be turned in by 6 p.m. on Friday, July 15. The top readers in each category will be announced during the final summer event on July 26 at 3 p.m.
Please note that a child should only sign up for one reading challenge at one MCCPL location.
Summer Events for Rising First Graders through Rising Fifth Graders – Tuesdays at 3 p.m.
- June 7 – Tommy Johns presents “READING: The Sport of Champions,” a brand new, mega fun show featuring magic, puppets, comedy, storytelling and audience participation! This engaging and hilarious show will entertain kids and parents while they learn that good readers are WINNERS who can do almost ANYTHING! Tommy Johns appears courtesy of the Friends of the Pike Road Branch Library.
- June 14 – The Auburn University Southeastern Raptor Center will introduce us to some of the magnificent birds in their care. The Raptor Center appears courtesy of the Friends of the Pike Road Branch Library.
- June 21 – Cowboy Bruce and Vernie return with their ever-popular Wild West Show. Cowboy Bruce and Vernie appear courtesy of the Friends of the Pike Road Branch Library.
- June 28 – The Montgomery Zoo comes to the library with several animals.
- July 5 – Dr. Magical Balloons uses his balloon-sculpting talents to tell stories. Dr. Magical Balloons appears courtesy of the Friends of the Pike Road Branch Library.
- July 12 – State Archaeologist Stacye Hathorn and Amanda McBride from the Alabama Historical Commission share artifacts and games played by Native Americans in Alabama.
- July 19 – The Alabama Department of Archives and History presents “Alabamians in the Olympics.”
- July 26 – It’s our annual visit to the chocolate fountain. Plus, we’ll announce the top readers in each of our summer reading challenge categories.
Lego League – Thursdays at 4 p.m.
- Each week, builders (ages 5 and up) will face a new challenge and create something awesome.
Summer Story Time for Ages Three through Six – Mondays at 4 p.m.
- Afternoon Story Time moves to Mondays at 4 p.m. from June 7 through July 26.
Good Morning Story Time for Ages One through Three – Wednesdays at 10 a.m.
- Children and grown-ups enjoy songs and stories each week.
- Angry Dragons – By popular demand, the Angry Dragons book club for third graders and up will continue throughout the summer. Check our Facebook page or join our email list for updates.
- Teen Book Club – The Teen Book Club will also continue their discussions throughout the summer. Check our Facebook page or join our email list for updates.
9585 Vaughn Road, Pike Road, AL 36064 - Phone: 244-8679 facebook.com/pikeroadbranchlibrary
Check Out Our Learning From Last Week
Community 8 Invited Us to Visit Their World's Fair
Carson Re-created Games from Sumdog Using Dominoes
Ethan Created this Rubick's Cube Using Pattern Blocks
Shawn Austin is Showing Off His Lego Engineering Skills