Ms. Kilar's Class News
Friday, November 13, 2015
Emmet County Transfer Station
We had another beautiful day for our field trip! We have really lucked out this fall. The students had a great time at the transfer station. We learned a lot about what is recycled at the facility, where the recyclables go from there, and what they are made into. It was awesome to see the impact recycling has on our community and that it does make a difference. Thank you to Mrs. Gretzinger, Mrs. Lauria, Mrs. Deegan and Mr. Hoffman for helping to chaperone our trip.
- Reading: This week we focus on character traits in our story "Me and Uncle Romie" about a young boy who spends the summer visiting his uncle in Harlem. We also reviewed visualizing.
- Writing: We worked on writing a book review. We talked a lot about writing an introductory sentence and writing a summary of a fiction book, without giving away too much information.
- Grammar: We focused on progressive verb tenses. We also talked about figurative language in writing and speaking.
This week in math, students were excited to learn how to use regrouping to multiply a multi-digit number by a 1-digit number. Please continue working on math facts with your student!
Science and Social Studies
- Science: This week in science we watched and discuss "The Lorax" in preparation for our field trip to the transfer station. We learned a lot about recycling on our field trip. We also worked on our unit about animal structures to support survival by reading and taking notes.
- Social Studies: This week in social studies we remembered the 40th anniversary of the sinking of the Edmund Fitzgerald. We also wrapped up our unit on the Northeast Region. We will be having a quiz over that region on Wednesday, Nov. 18. There is a study guide in the Friday Folder. If you don't have internet at your house and would like your child to bring home a book to review please just let me know by email or remind your child to grab a book. Finally, we will be reading "Flat Stanley" the two days before Thanksgiving and sending him on some adventures around the U.S. Please see the note in the Friday Folder.
- Monday - Gym
- Tuesday - Music
- Wednesday - Library
- Thursday - Art/Gym
- Friday - Music
- Thanks to Mrs. Lauria for sending in school supplies.
- Thanks to Mrs. Tippet for sending in snacks.
- Nov. 18 -Ch. 4 social studies quiz
- Nov. 24 - Book Order Due
- Nov. 25-27 - No School - Thanksgiving Break
- Dec. 4 - Half Day of school
- Dec. 9 - Holiday concert at 5:30 at the PAC
Mrs. Kowalski is looking for a parent volunteer to help out with our class during math time. She could use a volunteer from 12:30-1:30 any day of the week. Please contact me or Mrs. Kowalski if you are available to help. firstname.lastname@example.org
- Spelling: Front and back of the worksheet, new spelling list
- Grammar: Front and back of the worksheet
- Math: Front and back of the worksheet
- Homework is due on Thursday
- Students can practice spelling on Spelling City
- Raz Kids is available on their iPads for reading and comprehension practice
- Moby Max has practice problems and fact practice.