Mrs. McGeorge's Super Second Grade
Week of February 8, 2016
What We're Learning
We are continuing our unit on non-fiction, reviewing text features, the differences between fiction and non-fiction, and searching for main ideas. In writing, we are continuing to write how-to guides. We will not have a spelling list or test this week, but we will continue with our next unit next week.
We are wrapping up a brief unit on skip-counting. We are reviewing separating numbers into ones, tens, and hundreds and are using this information to compare two or more numbers.
We are continuing our unit on motion. We are looking at various motions as either pushes or pulls and learning about gravity.
We are open for Student-Led Conferences Monday night!
In Other News...
- Scholastic book forms came home last week. Order forms are due back this Thursday, February 11 if would like to purchase books. There is also an online order option (explained on the flyers).
- Our Valentine's Day party is this Thursday! Flyers came home about a week ago, but I am sending new ones home because we still need a lot of help. Please see the flyer for more information. We will also have a Valentines card exchange prior to the party for those students who would like to participate (this is a want to, not a have to). We will create bags for holding Valentines, and I will send home a list of names tomorrow for if you and your child are interested.
- Summer school information is also coming home Monday. This year, summer school is open enrollment, so anyone can come! Please see the packet in your child's Take Home folder for more information.
- Six Flags Read to Succeed packets were due this previous week, though I am still taking packets for the next week or so (and then I do have to turn them down, my due date to Six Flags is quickly approaching). Congratulations AJ, Aiden, Alexa, Ryder, and Alex for earning your free Six Flags tickets.
- Several students completed all of their reading logs for the month of January and are receiving free pizza's via Pizza Hut's BOOK IT program for their hard work. Congratulations AJ, Aiden, Alexa, Lilly, and Alex!