Peek at the Week
Week of 5/16/16
May 16, 5:30pm SSC Meeting (Toller, Witte, Anderson, Ghazi)
May 17-20: Chelsea will be off site at a Leadership Retreat, Ms. Morgan will be in charge during these days
May 18- Interim Housing Committee Meeting (Morgan, Toller, Ratto, Wong)
May 25- SEL Retreat (Cuny, Alexander, Brodsky, Sullivan, Wong, Smith, Litt, Toller, Morgan)
June 1, 9:30-10:15am 2nd and 3rd Grade Drumming Performance
Save the Date!
5/31, BOOM BALL!
6/1- Retirement Party at Ms. Zika's House
6/7, 4pm Superintendent's Focus Visit to Sequoia (Glenview invited!)
Moving Minds- Instruction and Academics
2015-16 Oakland Unified Big Question of the Year
2015-16 Big Question
How are we aligning strategies for all targeted groups to ensure closing achievement gaps?
5/6/16 - ABI is now open for you to start working on report cards
5/26/16- Report Cards due to Chelsea for Review and Editing
6/3/16- Send Report Cards home so you are all done and can focus on packing the last week
Report Card Support doc with sample comments
Reminder of Glenview Report Card Expectations-
Report Cards should include:
- A positive statement about each student
- Data about student progress in ELA,Science, Math, Social Studies, and Writing
- Provide the range of what grade level is when an assessment result is given
- Indicatation if attendance is impacting achievement
- Next Steps for Family's to support their child at home
- No typos or formatting errors
SRI/SMI Reminder from Mr. Miller
It is time for the final SRI and SMI. Grade two has to do the SRI and grades 3-5 have to do both. Please sign up for times to complete both tests. The sign up sheets are located in the Chromebook folder which I shared with you earlier this year. Once you have filled in the time you plan on testing please let me know that time. Tom and Debbie, if you need to do it during the first hour then let Bart know and change the calendar to reflect the change. The goal is to have every child tested by May 20th. The classroom teacher is expected to complete the testing themselves. Please let me know if you have any questions.
F & P
Professional Development This Week
-ILT Members will share the PD calendar and plan for next year
-Anne Diskin, our 2016-17 ELA Consultant will be at our meeting for a meet and greet
Mindfulness: 5/11 (Wong)
Moving Bodies- Operations & Logistics
Extra Recess Reminder
As we get closer to the transition to Summer, students need structures more than ever. Extra recess for long periods of time without structure or direction leads to- behavior problems, peer conflict, and interruptions to other classes who depend on the yard (PE, garden, etc.) which only makes your job harder!
If your students (and you!) need a break consider:
1) Mindfulness: You have learned many mindfulness strategies in the last year from your colleagues
2) Clean up break: Students love to help clean up and the break will help you get more organized for the move! Take 10 minutes and see how clean it can get.
3) Structured PE: Here's some good activities: http://www.sparkpe.org/physical-education/lesson-plans/elementary/
4) Quick 10 minute dance parties or yoga in your classroom
5) Keep learning and keep planning! If you are well planned, you will have plenty to do and will not need extra recess :-)
If you are rewarding your students with extra recess as an incentive, please do this sparingly and for no more than 10 minutes.
You are expected to keep everything in your classroom even if you do not intend to move to to SF. During the week of June 6, the auditorium will be set up to accommodate moving "piles".
The auditorium will be in full use through June 3 for graduations. Our office is very small and Ms. Lisa and Ms. Yolanda will have their own work to do to pack up the office. DO NOT LEAVE ITEMS IN THE AUDITORIUM OR IN THE OFFICE.