The Franklin Press
Principal's Update - February 2016
Snow, Report Cards, and Great Learning at Ben Franklin
Our first snow storm brought tons of snow and many smiles on the faces of our children. Playing in the snow provides wonderful opportunities for imagination, discovery, engineering, and physical play.
With all of the snow around, Mr. Meurer used snowballs as an object lesson at our latest Spirit Day. Ask your child how snowballs can teach us to stick together and how when we stick together we can accomplish so much more!
With the cancellation of school comes a revised school calendar as well. Scroll down to the bottom of this newsletter to find a button that will link you to the updated school calendar.
Beyond the snow and shovels, children at school have greatly enjoyed the return of The Benny at lunch time and are growing excited about our school's St. Baldrick's fundraiser. Report cards go home on February 5. These report cards capture so much of how your child is learning in school. While report cards do capture some aspects of your child's learning, nothing can truly capture those special moments we experience in classrooms everyday:
- That moment when a child realizes s/he is a reader
- When a student makes a new discovery in science
- The feeling that comes from solving a difficult problem with friends working with you
We are all also excited about the coming PTO's Winter Blast on February 27! Have you purchased your tickets for this event yet? If not, check out the link in The Weekly Update email in your inbox. It promises to be a great evening!
Team Ben Franklin gets ready for St. Baldrick's!
It's St. Baldrick's time again! The members of Team Ben Franklin will soon be going bald, and we would like to invite all members of our Ben Franklin family to step forward with them and have their heads shaved to support the fight against childhood cancer.
If you dare to go bald, your gleaming head will be a display of solidarity with children who have cancer, while raising funds for life-saving research. Please help give these kids the best chance for a cure!
Event: St. Baldrick's Fundraiser
Place: Amalfi's Restaurant, 146 Lawrenceville-Pennington Road, Lawrenceville, NJ
Date: Saturday, March 12, 2016
Time: 11:00 am - 5:00 pm
This is Team Ben Franklin's sixth year participating in the event and we would like it to be our largest group yet. For information on how to join Team Ben Franklin or for details on the event, visit www.stbaldricks.org. Type "Team Ben Franklin" in the "Search" box and follow the prompts for details.
Not interested in shaving your head...you can still support your friends and the St. Baldrick's cause:
- Make a donation to a Team Ben Franklin member on www.stbaldricks.org
- Buy a Team Ben Franklin t-shirt and wear it with pride. Proceeds from t-shirt sales will go toward Ben Franklin's donation. (Order forms online)
- Drop by Amalfi's on March 12th and support the team!
Thank you for your support with this important cause!
Calendar of Upcoming Events
- Feb 12 - School Closed
- Feb 15 - School Closed
- Feb 17 - PTO Meeting 7 pm
- Feb 18 - First Grade Concert - 9:45 am
- Feb 26 - Spirit Day - Wear Blue & White
- Feb 27 - Winter Blast - Parents’ Night Out 6:30 pm at ETS
- Mar 1 - Spring Clubs getting started
- Mar 2 - Read Across America Day
- Mar 2 - PTO Book Exchange
- Mar 11 - College Day
- Mar 16 - PTO Meeting 7 pm
- Mar 23 - Second Grade Concert - 9:45 am
- Mar 24 - Spirit Day - Wear Blue & White
- Mar 25-Apr 3 - Spring Break
Text @benfran to 81010
Trouble texting? Try texting @benfran to (609) 482-3342
Want to receive texts in your email? Send an email to email@example.com