The Weekly Scoop
JANUARY 8, 2023
WELCOME OFFICER TERRERO!
Officer Terrero will be joining our PRMHS team as our School Resource Officer. Officer Terrero joined the West Newbury Police Department in 2019, and on December 30, 2022 he graduated from the 30th ROC Municipal Police Training Council Full Time Academy. Prior to his law enforcement career Officer Terrero worked as a School Safety Officer. Officer Terrero is committed to supporting the students, staff and members of the Pentucket Community.
A PROJECT SAFE CHILDHOOD PRESENTATION FOR PARENTS
The United States Attorney’s Office is hosting a virtual Internet safety presentation for parents the evening of Wednesday, January 18th from 6:30 – 7:30 pm. The presentation, entitled Keeping Kids Safe and Secure Online: A Project Safe Childhood Presentation for Parents will bring awareness to the dangers of the internet, including gaming and social media platforms that predators use to groom children with the intent of exploiting them sexually online or for an in person meeting. The presentation will focus on prevention by educating parents and community members how to help keep children safe online. We will be covering the following topics:
- Social Media 101 & Digital Footprint
- Victim Support
- Protecting Against Online Predation
The presentation is free. Registration is required. The link to register is included on the attached flyer. You may also find it below. Please feel free to pass along this opportunity to your community.
Please register at the following link: (via Chrome browser))
Event address for attendees: https://usao.webex.com/usao/onstage/g.php?MTID=ec3d8ccd61ccdd26ee39d8c6ffd5c57aa
Questions or difficulty registering? Please contact
Karen Legace @ USAMA.PSCOutreach@usdoj.gov
OPENING ON THE WHITTIER REGIONAL VOCATIONAL TECH SCHOOL COMMITTEE
Whittier Regional Vocational Tech High School School Committee has an opening for a Merrimac representative. The term begins on April 1, 2023 and runs for three years. If interested, please reach out to Marianne Naffah in the Superintendent's Office at 978 363-2280, extension 132 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- January 10 - MS/HS Staff Meeting (Staff Unavailable After School)
- January 11 & 12 - Math 8 iReady Assessment
- January 13 - Early Release Day/Staff PD
- January 16 - No School: Martin Luther King Day
- January 17 & 18 - ELA 8 iReady Assessment
- January 18 - ELA 7 iReady Assessment
- January 19 - Math 7 iReady Assessment
- January 23 - School Council Meeting
- January 25 - End of Second Quarter/End of 1st Semester
- January 25 - Grade 8 Information Night
- January 26 - Start of 3rd Quarter/2nd Semester
- January 26 - MS Math Meet
THE MIDDLE SCHOOL
SCHOOL COUNCIL MEMBERS NEEDED
The next School Council is scheduled for Monday, January 23, 2023 at 4:00 pm in the main office. At this time, the middle school is looking for parent/guardian representatives for this council.
Responsibilities would include:
- Attend 1 meeting (Monday afternoon) each month
- Adoption of educational goals for the school that are consistent with state and local policies and standards.
- Identification of the educational needs of the students attending the school.
- Review of the school building budget.
- Formulation of a school improvement plan that may be implemented only after review and approval by the Superintendent.
If you are interested in being a member of the School Council, please email Mr. Conant at email@example.com.
UPCOMING COUNSELING LESSONS
Mrs. Sanford and Mrs. Mastone will be visiting Ms. Maloney's 8th grade Wellness classes on Monday, January 9th and Thursday, January 19th. The counselors will be facilitating a lesson on healthy relationships with the students. By the end of the lesson, students will be able to identify the differences between a healthy relationship and an unhealthy relationship, ways to cope with an unhealthy relationship, and appropriate ways to manage a relationship ending. Students will also understand how to set boundaries within relationships and who to seek out for support if needed.
Please be on the look out for new resources located in the Middle School Student Services Resources webpage throughout the month of January! January's theme will focus on internet safety.
GRADE 8 ELA: ALL QUIET ON THE WESTERN FRONT INFORMATION
Below is parent information regarding the upcoming grade 8 Wit & Wisdom unit "The Great War", and the anchor text for this unit is "All Quiet on the Western Front".
AQOTWF- Parent Letter
1/5/2023 Dear Parents and Guardians, As you are aware, your 8th grade student will be reading All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque this quarter as part of our new curriculum, Wit and Wisdom. Although this book is a classic, it follows the experiences of German soldiers fight...
Minding Your Mind Parent Letter
January 9, 2023 Dear PRMHS Students and Caregivers, Recently, the Student Services and Wellness staff had the opportunity to attend a presentation by Mallory from Minding Your Mind. We are thrilled to share that through the PRSD partnership with KyleCares we are able to invite Mallory back to ...
UPCOMING PUBLIC LIBRARY EVENTS
The public Libraries have some teen programming coming up...
1. Youth Chess Tournament Grades 3-9 Saturday, February 4th from 11:30-4:30 at Merrimac Public Library Use QR code on attached flier to register. Any 10th -12th graders who know chess and would like to earn community service credits as monitors/judges, please reach out to Tracy Shaw at firstname.lastname@example.org
2. Teen Paint Party Grades 7-12 Wednesday, January 25th from 2:15-3:45 hosted by GAR Library in West Newbury but event is taking place at PRMHS Library. Open to only 12 students so gather your friends and plan to register early.
It doesn't matter which town you live in, you are welcome at any of these programs.
For more Information about programs or TAG (Teen Advisory Group), Contact your teen librarians at your public library for more information...
West Newbury-->Kelly Scott email@example.com
Groveland--> Begen Daley firstname.lastname@example.org
Merrimac-->Tracy Shaw email@example.com
24 Main Street
West Newbury, MA 01985
Phone: (978) 363-5507
Fax: (978) 363-2730