Gender equality in education
by Cate Goodman
Why educate girls?
The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization states that educating girls will lower the teen birth-rate, family sizes, the child mortality rate, and the amount of child marriages.
Ways to improve girls education
- Making education free: by making education free families will be more inclined to send both their daughters and sons to school.
- Stricter education laws: By making education mandatory until a certain age parents will have no choice to send both their sons and daughters to school
- Child Labor legislation: stricter child labor laws will make girls more likely for girls to stay in school for longer.
According to the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization, "31 million girls of primary school age out of school."
Help young women worldwide get the education that they deserve
How you can help
- Post hashtags such as #62MillionGirls to social media to make people aware of the lack of gender equality in education
- Donate to charities such as the Maillia Fund that aim to close the gender gap in education.