8th Grade Cardinal Newsletter
May 8 - May 19
All 8th grade students will take the Science STAAR test this Wednesday, May 10. They have been through an intense review the past two weeks and we are very excited to have them show what they know on STAAR!
Once STAAR testing is complete, we will move on to shark dissections and rockets.
*The science department is currently needing donations of non-latex gloves for our Dogfish dissections. Any quantity would be greatly appreciated!
Math & Algebra
Week of 5/8 – 5/12
· Monday – Review 8th grade Chemistry and Physics concepts to help students prepare for the 8th grade Science STAAR test
· Tuesday – Review 8th grade Chemistry and Physics concepts to help students prepare for the 8th grade Science STAAR test
· Wednesday – 8th grade Science STAAR test
· Thursday – 8th grade Social Studies STAAR test
· Friday – Apply 8th grade concepts learned throughout the year to complete an Algebra Review Packet
Week of 5/15 – 5/19
· Monday – Friday: Apply 8th grade concepts learned throughout the year to complete an Algebra Review Packet
Week of 5/22 – 5/26
Monday – Friday: Apply 8th grade concepts learned throughout the year to complete an Algebra Review Packet and to produce projects demonstrating the real world application of these skills.
Tutoring is offered Monday-Friday in the morning (8:10-8:40) and Monday-Thursday after school (4:10-5:00). Please continue to check Parent Portal to keep updated on your child's averages in their classes . Please contact your child's teacher at any time if you have any questions or concerns and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
Kristi Brakebill: firstname.lastname@example.org
Whitney Vana: email@example.com
Ashleigh Weeaks: firstname.lastname@example.org
Christie Weaver: email@example.com
Week of 4/24 – 4/28
- Monday: Lesson 33 & 34 STAAR Review
- Tuesday: Lesson 35 & 36 STAAR Review
- Wednesday: Lesson 26-36 STAAR Review Test
- Thursday: Finish Lesson 26-36 STAAR Review Test
- Friday: Last Minute STAAR Prep
Week of 5/1 – 5/5
- Monday : Last Minute STAAR Prep
- Tuesday : Algebra I STAAR Test***
- Wednesday : Science STAAR Prep
- Thursday : Science STAAR Prep
- Friday : Science STAAR Prep
Please know you can always check your child's grades through Parent Portal. As always if you have any questions or concerns please email your child’s teacher and we will be happy to explain any confusions, or answer any questions.
8th Grade Writing has just started our biggest project of the year. Students are creating portfolios to showcase their work! After selecting a topic, students are tasked with choose 3 different writing styles we have created this year. This project will be intense and really test their focus and time management, but we are excited about the pieces they have been working on. They never cease to impress us! The final portfolio will be due at the beginning of May!
In 8th Grade Reading, we have begun reading our last novel of the year, Tangerine. It is a novel about a boy named Paul and his life living in Tangerine County, Florida. This book has already sparked wonderful conversations not only in the classroom, but outside as well. Students have been heard discussing it among themselves in the lunchroom and hallways. If I could just keep the kids from spoiling all of the surprising events that are happening in the book, that would be great! In addition to enjoying a great book, the kids are practicing annotating in their own books and reading independently to prepare them for high school level novels. Students are given nightly reading assignments which are written in their planners. I have stressed that they stay up with the class, so they don't get behind. Please encourage them to do so. Even though we are reading a class novel, I would like for the kids to still be reading novels of their choice, too. Also, I have created a Pinterest page that includes book suggestions, homework and study tips, TED Talk recommendations, etc. Search for "Mrs. Van Schepen's Class" and follow my boards!
US History News
Follow us on Facebook!
We love to post pictures and videos to share what is happening on campus!