SSD in Affton Monthly Dispatch
2021-22 School Year
We are so happy that in a few short weeks your students will be back in our halls learning and growing! Please take a look at the Affton School District website if you need any information regarding our return to learn plan.
We want you to know that we are your partner as we enter this school year. Please make sure that as you think of questions or if you have any concerns that you are reaching out to your students case managers, Ky Schlundt (SSD Special Education Coordinator for Gotsch and Rogers) and Katy Meers. Teachers begin returning on August 13, however, they are required to attend many meetings. Please reach out, but also have patience knowing that we are working to support a safe and appropriate plan that meets your students need for the return to full time in person learning. We will return your emails and phone calls as quickly as possible.
Spring Survey Action
Thank you to all of you who completed our spring survey! I wanted to share with all of you some things we learned that we will work to improve and sustain as we enter the 2021-22 school year.
Areas of Opportunity Action Steps
- We are going to continue to provide surveys and newsletter to keep you updated. We appreciate the feedback so much, but want you to know that it is very varied. Some want more communication and some want less.
- Please let your student's case manager know if you need more data communication. We have some people who stated they wanted communication bi-weekly or monthly. Please communicate this with your case managers at the beginning of the year so that you can work something out that works for you both. We are required to communicate with you 4 times a year on progress reports when report cards are due, but if that is not enough for you, we need to know. The surveys were anonymous so that you could speak freely and we don't have a way of communicating with you if you stated you need more. Please voice that as we return and contact you.
- We hope to find more ways to show you that we are communicating with your students.
- We will make sure that we are communicating with families with at least 10 days notice of IEP's unless you provide us permission to have the meeting sooner.
- If you would like to be more a part of the IEP, please tell your case managers how. Take a look on this newsletter on information that you can gather with Charting the LifeCourse that can help us better understand the direction your family hopes to be in for the IEP's. We will be working on finding ways to get you more involved and make sure your voice is heard.
- Let us know what else we need to know!
Have you ever wanted to really think about the goals you have for your student and your family? Charting the Life Course is a great activity to complete with your family that can also help you communicate with your student's case manager the goals that you have for them in the future. There are many free resources. Please take a look and let us know if we can help!
PEDA's Family & Community Resources Center
The Family & Community Resources Center (FCRC) provides just what its name promises, vast array of special education and disability-related tools and resources for SSD families and the community at large. The FCRC's collection includes thousands of books, journals.
Materials may be sent home through school mail to families whose children receive SSD services. For those not served by SSD, materials are still available for checkout but must be picked up and dropped off at either the SSD Central Office or SSD Learning Center location.
If you would like to visit the Family & Community Resource Center to browse the materials, we strongly encourage scheduling an appointment. Please contact us to schedule at 314.989.8460 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Do you have a teacher or staff member who has gone above & beyond for you or your child - supporting them, encouraging them to do their best or being a listening ear when they need someone? Take a minute to write a note of thanks!