Depletion of the Fish Stock
Canadian fishing industry
- Canadian fishing industry is the world's most valuable commercial fishing industry.
- It provides more than 120,000 jobs to Canadians.
- Also it is the economic mainstay of 1500 communities in rural and coastal Canada.
- People recognized that the fish had been depleted to such an extent that the fishing has to stop.
- The government asked Canadian fishermen to wait a few years and let the fish recover, but Canadians are not the only ones who want the fish.
- Meanwhile, there are thousands of Canadian fishermen have no desire for a new livelihood.
- Whole communities have become dependent on government, which is not good for a country trying to get rid of a massive debt.
HOW WILL THIS ISSUE BE SOLVED?
- The issue has been taken to the international negotiating table, but not everyone respects such decisions and the problems will no doubt continue until the fish have returned in large numbers.
Many research shows that Canada's fish stock is dropping fast these years.
About 32% of world fish stocks are estimated to be over-exploited or depleted.
Many people in Canada enjoy fishing.