Standing Bear News
September 26, 2022
Message from the Principal
Greetings Standing Bear Families,
We had a great FUN RUN! Thank you to all the students and families who made it a BIG success! There will be a video for families to view, we are having some technical difficulties so it will be posted soon. Thank you for your patience!
FUN RUN updates: Video to follow soon!
Total Pledges: $54.973.95
Total School Profit based on 99% collection- $38,766.18
- $96 per student average
- 69% of pledges was non parent giving
- Pledges from 42 states, 2 counties
- 78% students registered, 65 % students pledged
- past 8 year profit $215,000
- 2019 Profit- $29,753
- 2021 Profit- $33,914
Total Amount Raised: $51,796.41 (Total Raised in 2021: $47,885).
Class with the most pledges/pizza party winner: Mrs. Talacko- raised $3442.60
Last Candy Bag Winner: Mrs. Birch's 1st Grade Class
Grade with the most pledges: Kindergarten- $13,177.80
Top Overall Student: Vincent Ekwerekwu- Mrs. Loper's Class, raised $760.10
Top Early Childhood: Mrs. Wright, $875.20
Top Early Childhood Student: Weston Anderson, Wright, $560
Top Pre-K: Mrs. Lidgett- $1525.
Top Pre-K Student: Carson FIscher, Lidgett, $300
Top Kindergartner: Mrs. Talacko, $3442.60
Top Kindergarten Student: Grace Frederick, Talacko, $660
Top 1st Grade: Mrs. Loper, $3305.50
Top 1st Grade Student: Vincent Ekwerekwu, $760.10
Top 2nd Grade: Mrs. Heng, $2696.20
Top 2nd Grade Student: Henry Bauer, Kahlandt, $600
Top 3rd Grade: Mrs. Briggs, $1789
Top 3rd Grade Student: Alexandra Cronick, Briggs, $450
Top 4th Grade, Mrs. Jones, $2065
Top 4th Grade Student (tie): Austin Goos, Malsom, $355 and Jackson Goos, Jones, $355
Stay positive, patient and flexible!
Mark Your Calendars......
September 27th- PTO Dairy Chef PTO Night
- Let Dairy Chef do the cooking tonight and help support Standing Bear PTO. Dairy Chef will donate 5% back to the PTO. Tell the cashier you are with Standing Bear Elementary to participate with this fundraiser.
5th- School Picture Day
10th- Report Cards Home
11th- PTO Meeting @ 6:30pm
- Join us to learn about events and get involved with events. We will meet in the library and will have a hybrid Zoom option as well. The Zoom URL is TBD and will be added to this event.
21st- PTO Panera Family Night
- Take a night off from cooking and help support Standing Bear PTO.
Bring this flyer or show a digital copy to your cashier when ordering at the cafe or enter promo code FUND4U at online checkout. Fundraiser is good for in person, drive thru, pickup, or delivery orders.
25th- Halloween Celebration (Parade and Party)
26th-27th- Parent/Teacher Conferences
28th & 31st- No School
Standing Bear Staff "Shout Out"
If you have a staff member who you want to give a "Shout Out" to, use the QR code or LINK below to submit. It is always nice to hear good things! We appreciate all the hard work the Standing Bear staff does each day.
- Contact the main office if your child will not be in attendance or late
- If you will be picking your child up early for any reason
- If the dismissal procedure for your child has changed (another person picking up, no bus, etc.)
- Please provide a doctor note for any appointments so we can mark the absence as medical and excused
Phone: (531) 299-2140
Fax: (531) 299-2159
Nurse Fax: (531) 299-2158
Notes from the School Nurse....
Students enrolled in Omaha Public Schools are provided free health screening in accordance with Nebraska State Statute. Screenings are conducted throughout the school year and may begin as early as August. Students in early childhood, kindergarten, first, second, third, fourth, seventh, and tenthgrades are screened for hearing, vision, dental, height,and weight per the rules and regulations set forth by the state of Nebraska.The screening is conducted to help identify health concerns in as early a stage as possible, in an effort to enhance learning. Screening is not intended to be diagnostic, but to identify students with potential problems. Findings that need further evaluation by a health care provider will be sent home.Contact your school nurse for any questions regarding screening.
Please fax to 531-299-2158 or email the school nurse at email@example.com with any documents or questions.
Important Information from Standing Bear
For the safety and security of our students and this building, anyone entering the building must stop in the office first.
Drop Off Zone
We ask that you please continue to pull all the way down to the second crosswalk if possible (by main front doors). We can then unload around 10 vehicles rather than 5.
We currently have a school staff member assisting your child to breakfast or the classroom at the main doorway for all student’s morning arrival. REMINDER: School doors don’t open until 8:35 AM for classroom entrance and breakfast opening hours.
We ask again not arrive for end of school day pick-up until 3:55pm to prevent traffic flow congestion issues .
Please be attentive and cognizant of all school crossing guard officials and adhere to their requests during student morning drop-off and pick-up times. Our goal is to ensure your child’s overall safety.
School Blackboard Communication
We will be using Blackboard for mass communications to families. All newsletters, updates and reminders will be sent via email or text. Please make sure to contact the office if you need to update your contact information.
We ask that only non-food items be brought for birthday celebrations. Please check with your child's teacher to discuss day and time for treats to be dropped off.
- Drop off is 8:35AM, that is when breakfast is open and staff are on duty
- Please have student(s) ready to get out when you pull up
- Pull all the way down if able
- If you need to get out to assist your child, go into the parking lot lane not the main drive
- If your student is NOT eating breakfast they need to enter through the main front doors rather than the cafeteria doors
- Grab and Go Breakfast- if your student is eating breakfast, they need to enter the building through the cafeteria doors. They may enter through the main front doors if they choose not to eat the district provided breakfast.
Dismissal and pickup
When parents pull onto school grounds, outside staff will input your family number to indicate that you have arrived. Classroom teachers will get your student(s) ready to dismiss. How this works- We will enter your Family Number into a form, this will be visible to classroom teachers in the building and they will dismiss. Students will be dismissing out the main front doors staggered based on your arrival time. Students will NOT be dismissing out any other doors.
It will be extremely helpful if you let your student(s) know your preferred lane for pick-up. This will help them know to look for you in the main drive or the parking lot lane. Once your student(s) are loaded, you can pull out of the pick-up line to leave.
What you will need at dismissal:
- You will need to place your car hanger number on your rearview mirror so it is clearly visible to outside staff.
- You will need to pull all the way down to the front door (as cars move ahead, you move ahead) if you are picking up on the main drive, pull all the way down to the front main entrance or up to the vehicle in front of you. If you are picking up in the parking lot lane, you will still need to pull all the way forward. ALL students will exit out the main front doors.
- We will call your student(s) out as you arrive, continue to pull forward whenever possible until all your students are loaded.
** Kindergarten students- dismissal will remain the same for parents who walk up to get kindergarten students. If you are choosing to drive through for pick up, parents will still pull up like all other vehicles with their family number visible.
** Early Childhood will remain the same. Parents will need to park and come check out their child.
** Walk up parents- A staff member will be located out front, you can provide them with your family number so teachers are aware you are ready to pickup. You student(s) will then be dismissed.
** Each family will receive 2 car hangers. If you would need additional ones, please contact the office. It is imperative not to lose your issued designated car hanger numbers. Please clearly display upon arrive so there is no confusion to expeditiously release your child for pick-up.
WE WILL BEGIN DISMISSAL (ENTERING NUMBERS) AT 4:00PM. PLEASE DO NOT ARRIVE AT SCHOOL BEFORE 3:55PM TO PREVENT AN INITIAL BACKUP. The line moves very fast once we begin the dismissal process.
Thank you for everything!
Early Pickup for Students
If you are picking up your students early for a doctor appointment, etc please call the office ahead of time and we will have you child ready to go at the designated time. Parents will need to come into the office to check out your student(s).
Omaha Public Schools does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, age, genetic information, citizenship status, or economic status in its programs, activities and employment and provides equal access to the Boy Scouts and other designated youth groups. The following individual has been designated to address inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies: Superintendent of Schools, 3215 Cuming Street, Omaha, NE 68131 (402-557-2001).