What is design cycle?
The Design Cycle as it applies to MYP Music Technology is a set of integrated procedures that lead to the goal of successful project completion.
It is described in many places on the internet and off, yet is difficult for many to get their head around because it can be rather dry and unapproachable until students acquire greater experience with both its procedures and its benefits.
criterion A: Investigate
criterion B: Design
criterion C: Plan
criterion D: Create
criterion E: Evaluate
What do we do in each criterion?
• evaluate the importance of the problem for life, society and the environment
• outline the design brief.
Criterion B:Students design the product/solution. At the end of the course, they should be able to:
• generate several feasible designs that meet the design specification
• evaluate the designs against the design specification
• select one design and justify its choice.
Criterion C: Students plan the product/solution. At the end of the course, they should be able to:
• construct a plan to create the product/solution that has a series of logical steps
• construct a plan to create the product/solution that makes effective use of resources and time
• evaluate the plan and justify any modifications to the design.
Criterion D: Students use appropriate techniques and equipment. At the end of the course, they should be able to:
• use a range of appropriate techniques and equipment competently
• ensure a safe working environment for themselves and others.
Criterion E: Students evaluate the product/solution. At the end of the course, they should be able to:
• carry out tests to evaluate the product/solution against the design specification
• evaluate the success of the product/solution in an objective manner based on testing, their own views and the views of the intended user
• evaluate the impact of the product/solution on individuals and on society
• explain how the product/solution could be improved.
Atitude in Technology class
During the course, students should:
• carry out units of work in technology using materials and techniques safely and responsibly
• work effectively as members of a team, collaborating, acknowledging and supporting the views of others
• provide evidence of personal engagement with the subject (motivation, independence, general positive attitude) when working in technology.