October 11, 2019
Become a Substitute Teacher
If you hold a bachelor's degree, obtaining a substitute authorization is easy. Sign up to become a sub today through the local Area Education Agency!
Great Prairie AEA:
Upcoming home events -
* Fri, Oct. 11: Homecoming Pep Assembly & Parade
* Fri, Oct. 11: 9-10/Varsity football v. South Tama - 445 PM
** Marching Band, Dance Team performances
* Sat, Oct. 12: Homecoming Dance - 800 PM
* Mon, Oct. 14: 7 volleyball v. Newton - 430 PM
* Tue, Oct. 15: 7 volleyball v. Oskaloosa - 430 PM
* Tue, Oct. 15: 7 football v. Oskaloosa - 430 PM
* Tue, Oct. 15: Central Iowa Debate League - 530 PM
* Thu, Oct. 17: 8 football v. Grinnell - 430 PM
* Thu, Oct. 17: JV2/JV1/Varsity volleyball v. Winterset - 530 PM
* Sat, Oct. 19: Varsity volleyball Invitational - 830 AM
Big wins this past week -
volleyball over Mount Pleasant
* Our volleyball team is now 20-1, 5-0 in the conference, and ranked #9 in Class 4A!!!
** Impressive active streaks for our volleyball team - 6 match home court winning streak, 10 match conference home court winning streak, 18 match conference winning streak
* Freshmen Norah Pearson is currently ranked #5 in the Class 3A individual state cross country rankings!!
Postseason competition is coming soon!
* Marching Band has State Contest on Sat, Oct. 19
* Cross Country has their State Qualifying Meet on Thu, Oct. 24
* All-State Music Auditions for band and chorus students are on Tue, Oct. 23 (piano) and Sat, Oct. 26
* Volleyball will host either Oskaloosa or Carlisle in a Regional Semifinal on Tue, Oct. 29 at 700 PM
- All home events in the Knoxville High School gym and all school concerts in KPAC will be streamed LIVE on the NFHS Network! Go to www.nfhsnetwork.com for more details!
- Get schedules for all extra-curricular middle school and high school activities by going to www.knoxville.k12.ia.us and then clicking on "Activity Calendar". You can even sign-up for email notifications so whenever we make a change to a schedule - you can be notified immediately.
- Follow the Knoxville Activities Department on Instagram! @knoxvilleactivities
KHS SPRING MUSICAL: Audition Information
AUDITIONS: Monday, October 21
REQUIRED DANCE CALL/CALLBACKS: Tuesday, October 22
Full Company Music Boot Camp: Saturday, December 14 (8am-2pm)
Full Company Rehearsals: Begin January 3
First Set Build: Jan 4
Performances: March 6, 7, 8th, 2020 @ KPAC
Click here for more information!
Please direct any questions to:
Heidi Feldman, KHS Drama Director
Dance Team Fundraiser: LYM Beanies
Custom Knoxville Love Your Melon beanies are still available through the Knoxville Dance Team! If you would like a beanie, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with the quantity you would like. Beanies will also be available before the parade in front of McKay Group on the square or at the concession stand during the football game!
DMACC Career Discovery Days
DMACC Career Discovery Days are open to 9th–12th grade students, educators and parents. Explore career pathways through hands-on activity sessions, learn about educational opportunities by hearing from DMACC instructors, and connect to future careers and professionals by touring related businesses. Click here for more information.
Students are working hard on creating the yearbook for this year! They are working on many skills such as editing photos, organizing pictures and text, photography, and interviewing.
If you would like to purchase a yearbook for your student (or yourself), go to www.jostens.com. They will be $28 until December 31st.
Check out some of the great photos that we've taken this year!
1st Graders Visit the Library
Notifications for School Delays & Cancellations
Knoxville Schools utilizes GovDelivery to communicate weather cancellations, delays and/or changes to district activities. We recommend all parents/guardians sign up to receive email and/or text notifications. Anyone is welcome to subscribe, including community members interested in schedule changes for activities purposes.
If you signed up in the past for this service, you do not need to sign up again but you will want to adjust notifications if your child changed to a different school building this year.
Screenshots are pictured below of the subscription process.
If you need assistance, please contact: Lisa.Willis@kcsd.k12.ia.usor 641-842-6551 opt 1.
Neighbor Helping Neighbor
End of the Month Meals
Hello, everyone! It’s that time of year again. The End of the Month Meal program will be starting up November 18th - 22nd.
For those of you who haven’t heard of our program here’s a little bit of it’s history...
The End of the Month Meal program or E.O.M.M. was started in 2002 by Lillie Brandon of Knoxville, Iowa. God laid the need of the program on Lillie’s heart. There are a lot of elderly people on fixed incomes in our community that tend to have more month than money, especially during the colder months of November- March. So Lillie began the program with elderly people on fixed incomes as her core target. The program is community based and run by volunteers. It is a not-for-profit organization and can only continue as long as generous people are willing to donate their money, time, can food items, or grocery gift cards. Any of these donations may be dropped off at New Covenant Church at 1510 West Madison Knoxville, Iowa. If you send a check please make it out to New Covenant Church and put “E.O.M.M. program” in the memo section.
My name is Shiloh Schrader and I took over the coordinating position from Lillie in 2015. Lillie still takes care of all things financial for us though, thankfully.
We have expanded our core target since 2002 to include not only the elderly, but anyone who finds themselves down on their luck and in need of a meal. Last season we served a total of 6,564 meals to people. Our season runs from November through March. November and December begin the week before the holiday and January through March are the last full week of the month. We send out our deliveries from New Covenant Church 1510 West Madison. If people would like to have their meals delivered to them please call the church office at 641-842-3176 preferably the week before we start serving meals so that we can have an idea of how much food we need to prepare. The only information we need to have is your name, address, a phone number where we can reach you, and the number of meals you would like to have.
If you prefer to dine out you are more than welcome to go to the Jenkins Center on Main street. We provide the casserole and vegetable or salad, whichever is on the meal plan and the people from Living Word Fellowship provides the dessert, coffee, and excellent service. No questions asked.
Our meals usually consist of a casserole for the entrée, a dinner roll, a hot vegetable, or a cold “salad” (these are flip-flopped each meal) , and a dessert. I also like to have a sandwich meal at least twice during the season. This would consist of a Manwich burger, scalloped corn, cole slaw, and a dessert. Our meals are “comfort food” and are good sized portions because nobody should go hungry.
These are the dates for the 2019-2020 season:
- November: 18th-22nd
- December: 16th-20th
- January: 20th-24th
- February: 17th-21st
- March: 23rd-27th
If anyone has questions or would like to have someone talk about our program please E-mail me at email@example.com.
KCSD ADMIN. OFFICE
Stay connected by frequenting our website or following us on social media!
- High School: www.facebook.com/KHSPanthers/ & twitter.com/KHS_Panthers
- Middle School: www.facebook.com/PanthersKMS/ & twitter.com/Panthers_KMS
- Northstar: www.facebook.com/NorthstarElementary/ & twitter.com/MrKeitges
- West: www.facebook.com/knoxvillewestelementary/ & twitter.com/pantherswest
Rate us on greatschools.org!