WEEK OF DECEMBER 12, 2022
Message from the Principal
GLOW Students & Families,
As we wrap up the end of 1st semester, and anticipate the new year ahead, we find ourselves both in reflection of our time spent together and in anticipation of all that is to come. Thank you for continuing to partner with us as we work to provide unique opportunities to prepare your daughter to graduate from high school, go to college, and be successful in whatever she wishes for her future.
Reminder: Friday, December 16, is an Early Release Day, with student dismissal at 1 PM. There is no school the week of December 19th or the week of December 26th. As we head into the new year, please note we will welcome back students on Wednesday, January 4, 2023.
Be sure to read through and secure your free tickets to the Thalian Hall Community Theater's upcoming production of The Wizard of Oz, updates about student initiatives, and lots of photos!
However your family spends this holiday season, we wish you rest, safety, good health, continued traditions, and time spent with the ones you love!
Wishing you all a great week ahead!
Kate B. Tayloe
✅ REMINDERS ✅
High School Exam Schedule
- All high school courses include a final exam.
- Some high school exams are a state mandated EOC, some are teacher made final exams, and in some instances students are completing projects this week that will count as their exam grade.
- Students are required to attend school for all exam periods; however, if exams/projects have been given previously and there is no exam scheduled for your student on a specific day, then her attendance is not required.
- Your student's individual Exam Schedule will indicate whether or not they have exams scheduled on each exam day (December 9-16).
- Students who miss one of their scheduled exams on December 9-14 should attend school on December 14 and/or 15th to make-up these exams.
HIGH SCHOOL MASTER EXAM SCHEDULE
- Friday, December 9 - English II EOC (state mandated)
- Monday, December 12 - 1st & 3rd Period Exams
- Tuesday, December 13 - Biology EOC (state mandated)
- Wednesday, December 14 - 2nd & 4th Period Exams
- Thursday, December 15 & Friday, December 16 - Make-Up Exams
If you have questions, please contact your student's Leadership Advisory Teacher.
✅ UPDATES ✅
Winter Concert & Art Show
Congratulations to our Chorus, Guitarist, and Art Students for a fantastic evening celebrating your work and thank you to all of our parents & extended family that attended. We are so proud of you! Special shout out to our student volunteers who helped to make sure everything ran smoothly, and to Mr. Frederick, Ms. White, Ms. Tomlin, Mr. V, Mr Greyson, and Ms. Kittlaus for all your help and you all killed it on stage closing out the show with students!
YOU DID IT!
🤧 Cold & Flu Season is Here
Cold and flu season is upon us. To prevent widespread flu, GLOW will be following the recommendations and guidelines outlined by the CDC and New Hanover County Health Department:
Please do not send your child to school if she has or has had:
- fever of 100 degrees or higher within the last 24 hours (must be fever-free without medication for 24 hours before returning to school)
- Vomiting or diarrhea within the last 24 hours.
- Symptoms that make it hard for your child to participate in school such as frequent coughing, headache, body aches, fatigue, earaches.
- Strep Throat- until on antibiotics 24 hr.
Additionally, tips for staying healthy can be found in the image below!
COVID Testing Available
🌎 OPPORTUNITIES IN OUR COMMUNITY 🌎
The Wizard of Oz - Free Tickets!
GLOW Families - you are not going to want to miss this!
CLICK HERE to reserve your FREE TICKETS (up to 5) to the Thalian Hall Community Theater production of The Wizard of Oz. Use password TOTO at check out.
- Theater Location: 2nd Street Stage at the Hannah Block Historic USO/Community Arts Center, 120 S. 2nd Street (corner of 2nd & Orange Streets)
- Dates: January 20 - 29, 2023
- Times: Friday-Saturday, 7:30 pm shows, Sunday 3:00 pm shows
Pro tip - Plan to arrive early as the 2nd Street Stage is general admission seating and the doors open 30 minutes before show time. Parking details may be found by clicking HERE.
For questions or more information, please call Community Arts Center Box Office at 910-341-7860 or the Thalian Association at 910-251-1788.
New Hanover County Community Remembrance Project Essay Contest
The New Hanover County Community Remembrance Project, in conjunction with the Equal Justice Initiative (EJI), based in Montgomery, Alabama, is sponsoring an essay contest for all 9th-12th grade public high school students in New Hanover County. At least $5,000 prize money will be awarded to the winner(s) of this contest. We would like you to make your students aware of this contest. The contest launches September 1, and the final date for entry of an essay is December 15, 2022.
We have attached a flyer which describes the purpose of the contest. More information about the contest is available at our Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/nhccrp) and at a website which has all the specifics about this project (www.tinyurl.com/EJI-Wilmington-EssayContest).
If you have questions you can contact us via the Facebook page or at email@example.com.
Please encourage your students to enter this contest.
⭐ GLOW FREQUENTLY REFERENCED RESOURCES ⭐
Click this button to access our Student/Parent Handbook or click on the images below to access some of our most frequently accessed policies.