Oppression of Children
By: Monica Caggianiello
Oppression of children is a type of injustice, a manipulative, and abusive act on the helpless youth of foreign and domestic countries around the world. A survey was conducted to find out individuals of different genders and ages viewpoint on this topic. Whether or not they believe that first world consumers, 3rd world employers, parents, or all of them contribute to children around the world being oppressed. If there are enough global labor laws, if individuals have the power to stop the oppression of children, if first world consumers take into consideration where and how the products are being produced and lastly, if they feel children are also oppressed in first world countries.
Who are the oppressors of children?
It is said that children are oppressed through manipulation of higher individuals in power. The question that was asked to the surveyors is whom they think oppresses children. Results came back that 44% of people surveyed thinks that first world consumers oppress children and 26% think that third world employers oppress children. These results suggest that children are oppressed through companies and work. It is the first world consumers that have a high demand for good quality products, but at a cheap price. In order for companies to provide satisfaction to their customers they have to do anything possible to make revenue as well. The third world employers want to please the companies employing them, so they can make a living wage, however the only way for them to make that wage is to under pay their workers and making children work for an unlivable wage.
Do you think there are enough global labor laws?
The purpose of global labor laws is to set and establish a worldwide minimum level of protection from inhumane labor practices. The majority chose no which is 64% of the people surveyed. This indicates that more people believe there are not enough global labor laws. There are still more cases in the world where children are found in poor workplace conditions without protection or livable wages.
Do you think consumers from 1st world countries take into consideration of what they are buying?
Most of the time when people are purchasing items, they do not take into consideration of where their product is being produced and who produced it. This is proven because the results that came back from this investigation is, 84% of people surveyed essentially said they do not believe people take into consideration to who made that product, or where the product was being made before purchasing it. While 16% of people believe that 1st world consumers do take into consideration of what they are buying.
Do you think consumers from 1st world countries have the power to help developing nations stop the oppression of children?
Do you think children are oppressed in 1st world countries?
Children are not only being oppressed in third world countries, but in first world countries as well. This is proven through the results of this question, 64% of individuals believe that they children are being oppressed here in first world countries. On the other hand, 36% of individuals think children are not being oppressed in first world countries. This is a controversial question because in first world countries children have the resources to not be oppressed, while in third world countries, resources are something children are lacking.
To conclude all the data collected, many individuals believe that oppression not only happens in third world countries, but in first world countries. They also believe that most of the oppression from children in third world countries come from companies in first world countries that essentially demand cheap labor to third world employers. As well as, the majority of people also believe that people do have the power to help children not be oppressed. Although the majority of oppression is clearly happening in third world countries and although children in first world countries have the resources to not be oppressed they still are through inequality.