Welcome Students and Parents!
Georgia Virtual School: American Government Class
Students and Parents,
Welcome to Georgia Virtual School. I will be your student's teacher. The student’s first task is to complete the Student Orientation Course. It is important to complete topics in order and complete all items on the checklist.
The following items are required for the completion of the Student Orientation Course (SOC):
- students complete all sign off
- students complete all agreement quizzes
- students make a 100% on the final Student Orientation Quiz.
- Students may choose to opt out of the Student Orientation Course; however, students who elect to opt out of the Student Orientation Course are still responsible for all content presented in the course.
Students must finish or opt out of the SOC before gaining access to the course. Following successful completion of the SOC, the date on which students will gain access to the course is dependent upon which schedule was selected at the time of registration.
Initial Course Access Date
Schedule Start Date
August 4, 2014
August 4, 2014
August 11, 2014
August 18, 2014
August 25, 2014
September 2, 2014
September 8, 2014
September 15, 2014
**NOTE: AP courses do not offer a 12 week schedule option**
Regardless of the start date, the course ends December 5, 2014. Student work is due bi-weekly on Fridays at midnight. Check course schedules for specific due dates. Work turned in after the deadline on the course schedule will be accepted within 1 week with a late penalty assessed. Late penalty begins on Saturday and is deducted at a rate of 10% of the assignment value per school day. Work submitted on Saturday, Sunday, and Monday is considered 1 day late.
Important Parent Information
The Parent Account gives you information about your child’s grades and progress in their course. If your child’s grade drops below a 75, you will receive an automated phone call. If your child’s grade drops below a 70, you will receive a phone call from me.
If you already have a parent account please do NOT create a new one.
1) Please check to see that your parent account is linked to your student’s account.
2) For more information click Help on the Log in page or click the following link. http://helpdesk.gavirtuallearning.org/support/index.php?/Knowledgebase/List/Index/14/gavs-parent-info
If you are uncertain about whether you have a parent account or not,
1) Log in to GAVS at www.gavirtualschool.org and at the Log In page type in your username and password.
2) For more information click Help at the top of the Log In page or click the following link. http://helpdesk.gavirtuallearning.org/support/index.php?/Knowledgebase/List/Index/14/gavs-parent-info
*Information for parents who have NEVER created a parent account.
1) Login to our website www.gavirtualschool.org
2) Click the “Log In To GAVS” icon
3) Click “Create An Account” from the navigation bar.
4) You will need to know your child’s GTID and date of birth.
5) Please follow the directions on the screen.
6) Be sure you have linked your parent account to your student’s account.
7) For more information simply click HELP at the top of the Log In page or click the following link. http://helpdesk.gavirtuallearning.org/support/index.php?/Knowledgebase/List/Index/14/gavs-parent-info
Georgia Virtual School will have D2L Help Sessions for students and parents on Adobe Connect on the following dates:
Tuesday, August 5 at 11AM
Thursday, August 7 at 7PM
Tuesday, August 19 at 11AM
Thursday, August 21 at 7PM
Tuesday, September 2 at 11AM
Thursday, September 4 at 7PM
Tuesday, September 16 at 7PM
You will join by entering the meeting as a Guest. Your username is your first and last name. Here is the link to join each D2L Session:
The space for each session is limited. We ask everyone to join the session using only ONE computer at your home. If the session is full, the recording will be posted within the learning management system and you will have an opportunity to review the recording OR attend another upcoming meeting. The schoolwide D2L meetings are separate from individual Welcome sessions held by each teacher. Please plan to attend the meeting with your teacher as well. Your teacher will notify you about the date of that meeting.
Additionally, I will conduct synchronous office hours for students once per week on Tuesdays at 8:00pm.
If you have questions or concerns, feel free to email me or call at the number below. You may also reference the Fall 2014 Student Handbook for additional information and answers to general questions.
Dana A. Bauries, M.S.
Department Coordinator and Master Teacher, Social Studies
Georgia Virtual School
Stay updated about GaVLTwitter/ Facebook/ Pinterest/ YouTube