Poison Safety in Daycares

By: Hope Cunningham

Poison Facts:

  • about 2/3 of total poisonings each year happen in children under 5
  • almost anything can be poisonous to children
  • the National Safety Council says that most homes contain more than 40 poisonous products
  • if you're not sure if a child has eaten something it's always better to just assume the worst
  • if you think a child has eaten a poisonous substance call the nearest poison control, if they're is not a poison control near you call the nearest emergency room and asklhow to treat the child

Poisonous Substances

  • batteries/battery acid
  • candle wax
  • glue
  • lighter fluid and matches
  • paint and paint thinners
  • shoe polish
  • common cleaners: bleach, detergent, ammonia, lemo oil, dusting spray, etc.
  • cosmetic/personal care items: sunscreen, make-up, nail polish, mouthwash, soap,etc.
  • flowers and plants: consult greenhouse for names, plant food, pesticides
  • medications: most prescription and OTC medicines, vitamins

Emergency Procedures

Swallowing poisonous products or breathing toxic fumes can cause poisoning. Don't rely on first aid info or product info, because this information can be outdated or wrong. Contact the local poison control for cases involving poisons. When you call be ready to provide symptoms, first aid procedures taken, time substance was taken, and age and weight of the child. If the substance came out of a conainer, have the container ready. All first-aid stations must have emetics. Emetics are substances that induce vomiting. Do not give the child an emetic unless poison control tells you to. One of the biggest poisons that kill children is plants. Check with florist before buying any plants.

Poison Control Number

1 (800) 222-1222