VAMS Panther Pause Newsletter
December 4, 2015
- Thursday, December 10 - College Day
- Thursday, December 10 - Band Concert @ 7:00 PM @ the VAHS gym
- Friday, December 11 - Student Dance - 5th/6th grade dance 5:30-7:00 & 7th/8th grade dance 7:30-9:30
- December 14-16 - Quarterly Tests (see schedule below)
- Thursday, December 17 - Fundraiser Party 8:30 AM -10:30 AM
- Friday, December 18 - Early Release @ 1:25
- December 21- January 4 - Christmas Break
Teacher of the Month
Zane Scheller - 5th Grade
Regan Semons - 6th Grade
Liz Ward - 7th Grade
Hallie Storment - 8th Grade
Way to go! You make us proud!
Please note there is a slight change to the testing schedule below
College Day will be on Thursday, December 10. On this day, we will celebrate different universities and colleges. During this time, our 8th graders will learn about things they will encounter at the high school (GPA, SAT test, ACT test, graduation endorsements, scholarship opportunities, and much more), and in college.
On College Day, students are to wear college attire, including a college hat if they would like. Please ensure that your child does not wear something that would be disruptive to our learning environment. We look forward to this being a fun time and for the students to learn more about the possibilities and opportunities that lie before them!
7th Grade Science
All-Pro Dad Advice for Fathers: 10 Ways to Know You are Being a Good Father
As fathers we can sometimes feel lost. We can have self-doubt about how we are doing as dads. If you practice the following 10 things consistently you’ll know you are on the right track to being a good father. You will know you are setting the example your children need.
- When you help your kids with their schoolwork.
- When you take an interest in their hobbies.
- When you show affection to your wife in front of them.
- When you advocate that they speak to you and each other respectfully.
- When you just enjoy being with your children and they with you.
- When your son or daughter comes running to you when they get hurt.
- When your calendar is full of things to do with your children.
- When you calmly and gently discipline your children without yelling or screaming.
- When you tuck your children into bed at night and tell them: “I love you”.
- When you know their friends by first name.
Hour Of Code
The Hour of Code is Coming!
Mark your calendar for 12/8/2015
Van Alstyne High school room 305
4:00 – 5:00 pm
We live in a world surrounded by technology. And we know that whatever field our students choose to go into as adults, their ability to succeed will increasingly hinge on understanding how technology works. But only a tiny fraction of us are learning computer science, and less students are studying it than a decade ago.
That’s why our entire school is joining in on the largest learning event in history: The Hour of Code, during Computer Science Education Week (Dec. 7-13). More than 100 million students worldwide have already tried an Hour of Code.
Our Hour of Code is a statement that Van Alstyne ISD is ready to teach these
foundational 21st century skills. To continue bringing programming activities to your students, we want to make our Hour of Code event huge. I encourage you to volunteer, reach out to local media, share the news on social media channels and consider hosting additional Hour of Code events in the community.
See http://hourofcode.com/us for details, and help spread the word.
Leigh Moreno & Leigh Evans
Van Alstyne High School Technology Dept.
Questions? Email questions to email@example.com
Yearbooks are priced at $40 (online order, cash, or check) through January, and $45 until the end of May.
You can send a check, in an envelope marked YEARBOOK AND your child's name to the office made payable to VAMS or you can ORDER ONLINE.
Online orders: https://ybpay.lifetouch.com Code 9482916
Girls Basketball - Monday, December 7 @ 4:30 in Tom Bean (7B, 8B, 7A, 8A)
Boys Basketball - Monday, December 7 @ 4:30 vs. Tom Bean at home (7B, 8B, 7A, 8A)
Lady Panther Basketball Results
VA vs Leonard 11/30/15
8B won 41-4
Point Leader: Fonseca-21
Rebound Leader: Fonseca-2
Assists Leader: Stephens-1
Steal Leader: Fonseca-6
Hustle Award: Fonseca
7A won 28-13
Point leader: Donald-10
Rebound Leaders: Donald-4 & Mullins-4
Assists Leader: Fernandez-1
Steal Leaders: Donald-5 & Young-5
Hustle Award: Fernandez
8A won 34-23
Point Leader: Riddick-10
Rebound Leader: Riddick-6
Assists Leaders: Welch-2 & Riddick-2
Steal Leaders: Riddick-4 & Earley-4
Shot Block Leader: Brogdon-1
Hustle Award: Brogdon
Click this button to access the Volunteer Approval Form. We appreciate our volunteers!