The Counseling Capsule
From the CYES School Counselors
For the Week of January 11, 2016
1) Classroom Attendance Banners - please hang your banner outside your classroom door when you have 100% attendance. A Counselor will be walking around to collect data based upon the number of banners hanging in our hallways to record daily attendance rates. Classrooms with perfect attendance will be announced and recognized on the afternoon announcements.
2) Attendance Pledge Cards - The counselors sent home a letter to parents about the importance of attendance. These letters contained a pledge card that was to be signed by the parents and the student. Please collect these and return them to the counselors. Classrooms with 100% return rate can earn participation points towards your individual classroom rewards.
3) Classroom Attendance Contest - the classrooms with 100% attendance (or the best attendance rate) for January will be entered into a raffle drawing for a pizza party.
4) Classroom Attendance rates will be monitored daily, weekly and monthly by the counselors and displayed in a location for our CYES community and visitors to view each day.
January's Pillar is RESPECT
Character Chat topic: RESPECT
Friday, January 15 - Character Spirit Day: wear Yellow
Tuesday Jan. 19 - Friday Jan. 22 - National No Name Calling Week (Spirit Wear Days T - F)
Spirit Wear for each day will be announced shortly!
School Wide Character Activity - Hands Down Respect Wins! Hands due to the counselors by January 22nd.
Hands Down, Respect Wins!
Please have students trace one of their hands and write a way that they show respect to others inside each finger.
Inside the palm of the hand, they are to write their name and grade.
Hands are to be returned to the Counselors by January 22 so that a display can be made here at CYES to show how we are On Track With Character by being Respectful.
Later our display will be shared with the PWC Police Department in honor of Officer Yung.
Mrs. Lang's Schedule (Grades 1, 3 and 5)
Mrs. Lang's Schedule is as follows:
Monday, January 11
9:15- 9:45 Counselor Administers Sample School Climate Survey - Mr. Barton Grade 3
9:45 - 10:15 Counselor Administers Sample School Climate Survey - Bouch, Jones Grade 3
9:15 - 10:45 Counselor Administers Sample School Climate Survey - Mrs. Crouch Grade 3
11 - 11:45 Making Good Choices GRADE 1 Lunch Bunch
12:30 - 1:15 Making Good Choices GRADE 3 Lunch Bunch
1:30 - 2 Counselor AVAILABLE to administer Sample School Climate Survey to Mrs. Borror's 3rd Grade Class
2 - 2:40 Classroom Counseling Mrs. McDonald Grade 5 - Conflict Resolution Part 2
3-3:30 Making Good Choices Group (Ms. Gearhart)
Tuesday, January 12
9:20 - 10 Classroom Counseling Mrs. Borror-Grade 3 - Decision Making as Teams
11:15 - 12 Making Good Choices - GRADE 1 Lunch Bunch (Ramirez)
12:30 - 1:15 Changing Families -GRADES 3, 5 Lunch Bunch
2:25 - 3 Classroom Counseling Ms. Gearhart- What Tadoo Video
3 - 3:40 Stress Less Small Group
Wednesday, January 13
11- 11:45 Making Friends GRADE 1 Lunch Bunch
12:30 - 1:15 Making Friends GRADE 3 Lunch Bunch
2 - 2:40 Classroom Counseling Mrs. Woodby Grade 5 - Conflict Resolution
Thursday, January 14
9:20 - 10 Classroom Counseling
10 am - 4 pm Mrs. Lang at Elementary Dept Meeting at KLC
Friday, January 15
SPIRIT DAY! Wear Yellow for RESPECT
AM Character Slips announcements
11 - 11:45 Goal Setters GRADE 1 Lunch Bunch
12:30 - 1:15 Goal Setters GRADE 3 Lunch Bunch
2:25 - 3:00 Classroom Counseling - Mrs. Coster Grade 1 - Positive Work Habits
3:45 PBIS Training
Monthly Awareness Dates : January
Get Organized Month
National Mentoring Month
National Blood Donor Month
National Thank You Month
Jan 1 - Emancipation Proclamation Anniversary
Jan 1 - Global Family Day
Jan 15 - Martin Luther King's Birthday
Jan 18 - Martin Luther King Holiday
Jan 17 - World Religion Day
Jan 18 - 22 National No Name Calling Week
Jan 25 - 31 National Drug Facts Week
These principles are what we use to guide our collaborative efforts in creating a firm foundation for our school community based upon the Six Pillars of Character.
Briefly, these principles are:
- The school community promotes core ethical and performance values as the foundation of good character.
- The school defines “character” comprehensively to include thinking, feeling, and doing.
- The school uses a comprehensive, intentional, and proactive approach to character development.
- The school creates a caring community.
- The school provides students with opportunities for moral action.
- The school offers a meaningful and challenging academic curriculum that respects all learners, develops their character, and helps them to succeed.
- The school fosters students’ self-motivation.
- The school staff is an ethical learning community that shares responsibility for character education and adheres to the same core values that guide the students.
- The school fosters shared leadership and long-range support of the character education initiative.
- The school engages families and community members as partners in the character-building effort.
- The school regularly assesses its culture and climate, the functioning of its staff as character educators, and the extent to which its students manifest good character.
These 11 principles are the goals of Chris Yung Elementary School and our community as we work together to form new traditions, incentives, and a positive school climate within our school culture.
Bet you didn't know there were 11 of them!
CHARACTER EDUCATION ARTICLES, LINKS, AND RESOURCES
Teaching Good Citizenship - Five Themes
Tips for Creating a Culture of Kindness in Your School
The Responsive Classroom - Why is everyone so nice in here?
WEBSITES and LINKS
Awesome Blog by Barbara Gruener
Have a great week, everyone!