The SPIRIT of SKS
Saint Kateri School's Weekly Newsletter ~ September 30, 2020
“The giant in front of you is never bigger than the God inside of you.”
~ This inspiration was sent to Principals from our Superintendent this week at a time when I especially needed it. Do you need to hear this? What is your giant?
This year we will be having a Virtual Curriculum Night beginning the week of Monday, October 19th. We will begin the week with an Introduction to the 2020-2021 School Year ~ similar to how we have gathered together in the past, only virtually. During that week teachers will be inviting families to a classroom Curriculum Night presentation on Zoom. Parents will learn about classroom learning expectations, schedules, communication, content overview, faith development, etc. Curriculum Night will look a little different this year but we hope it will still serve to highlight the partnership we have together ~ school and home.
Christ the King campus has been blessed with the presence of the Sisters of Saint Joseph on our campus for over 40 years. This year it has become necessary for them to move into different living situations and they will be missed. Our students and faculty will remember a day last January when they welcomed us into their home ~ all 200 of us! When I was teaching Kindergarten at St. Lawrence School, it was Sr. Concepta that volunteered with my Kinders during lunch, sharing her puppet with them. Saint Kateri School wishes a huge THANK YOU to all the Sisters for their prayers and support over the years.
Godspeed to you all! God is good ~ all the time! All the time ~ God is good!
Peace and Light!
Mrs. Terri L. Morgan, Principal
Phone: (585) 467-8730
Wednesday Communication papers sent home included:
- 2020-2021 Halloween Guidelines
Upcoming Calendar Dates:
- 10/5: Save Around is DUE ~ return all monies and books to school
- 10/5: Pick Up Patrol begins for ALL PK-5th grade students
- 10/6: K-5 School Mass at 9:00: 4th grade leading
- 10/9: NO SCHOOL ~ Superintendent's Day
- 10/12: NO SCHOOL ~ Columbus Day
- 10/13: Quiet Mass at 9:00am: 5th/2nd
- 10/14: School Pictures (more info coming)
- 10/15: School Pictures (more info coming)
- 10/19: Virtual Schoolwide Curriculum Night Presentation
- Week of 10/19-10/23: Virtual Classroom Curriculum Night Presentations (see your child's teacher)
- 10/20: Quiet Mass at 9:00am: 4th/1st
- 10:21: Saint Kateri Prayer Service at 9:00am
- 10/27: Quiet Mass at 9:00am: 3rd/K
- 10/30: Halloween Costume Parade
Reminders from the Main Office
Save Around Books are DUE... Monday, October 5th
Any money collected and/or Save Around books not sold will need to be returned then.
What's New in Extended Care
- In an effort to bill our families appropriately for the Extended Care program they are using ~ Mrs. Syracusa has sent out letters to compare Extended Care registration to actual usage. Please contact her at Annette.Syracusa@dor.org if you have any questions
- We are asking families dropping off in Before Care to ring the Extended Care doorbell when you arrive to alert us that you are there. You can park at the door (like in the Car Line), ring the bell and someone will come out and perform the Daily Health Check on your child(ren).
- This year, due to COVID-19, we are asking that you please pack an After Care snack for your child in his/her lunch box. Please label it "After Care" so they know not to eat it during their school day. We will have limited snack supplies on hand for emergencies.
Did You Know ~
You Are A Member of the Parents Association
We are asking for all of your help this year to continue to provide the many traditional FUN-raising and FUND-raising events that our families have come to love!
Our meetings will be held virtually on the first Wednesday of the month at 6:00pm.
The schedule is:
- October 7
- November 4
- December 2
- January 6
- February 3
- March 3
- April 7
- May 5
- June 2
Pick Up Patrol (PUP)
Pick Up Patrol (PUP)
- When we begin using Pick Up Patrol (PUP), families will submit their child's daily health screen each day before 8:00am when Car Line Drop Off begins.
- You will be able to make dismissal changes in PUP up until 2:00pm, after that, any changes will need to be made by calling the Main Office.
- This week you will receive an invitation to create your Pick Up Patrol account. Don't waste any time setting up your account, the invite is time sensitive.
SKS Parent Meeting on October 1st from 6-7pm ~ Q & A
We will meet through ZOOM tomorrow, Thursday, October 1st from 6:00-7:00pm. The ZOOM invite is below. Please be sure the screen name on your device is identifiable as an SKS family.
Thank you ~ and we will see you then!
Does my child need a COVID-19 test? UPDATE
This year has been one of change and learning ~ and the necessity of a COVID-19 test has been no exception. Information we were using to determine next steps when a child is absent has been clarified both through West Irondequoit and the Monroe County Department of Health. I am attaching the guidelines below that were updated on September 18th.
- A child has a POSITIVE SCREENING if they are called in sick to the office/or sent home from school with any of the current COVID-19 symptoms.
- If a child has their Daily Health Screen at school (i.e. they arrived on a bus) and has a temperature above 100.0, they will be taken to the Raphael Room to await pick up by a parent/guardian.
- If a child has a POSITIVE SCREENING (i.e. temperature) they will either remain home, stay in their car and return home or be sent home from the Raphael Room and be referred to a health care provider.
Then either of the following will occur:
- There is an Alternative Diagnosis or No Diagnosis
- There will be a Confirmed Positive Test Result
Next steps to return to school for students with an Alternative Diagnosis or No Diagnosis:
- Student must be symptom free
- Must have an evaluation document from a health care provider, clearing the student
- Must have a lab-confirmed negative COVID-19 test result
Next steps to return to school for students with a Confirmed Positive Test Result:
- Monroe County Department of Public Health will place the student in isolation for a minimum of 10 days
- Student can return to school after being released from isolation by the MCDPH
- Student must be symptom free
If your child is sick and will not be attending school that day, please call the office at (585) 467-8730 after 7:30am. You can call before 7:30am and leave a message for office staff when they arrive.
Share with your friends ~
We have availability in Preschool 3's and Kindergarten - 5th grade
Want to get $500 off your tuition? Click the link below to find out how ~
Please contact us with any questions you may have regarding the Registration or Financial Aid process.