RMS Weekly Event Calendar
August 14 - 18
What's going on this week!
It was a great first week at Russellville Middle School. The first few days went extremely well...thanks to all of you for your help. I am confident this week will go even better! It is going to be a busy week as we begin the week with our Back-to-School night. It is a great time to share with parents your expectations, grading system, and classroom management plan. We are very excited to have our parents in our building and becoming involved in what their child is doing in school.
Let me also encourage you to take the time, especially these first few weeks, to get to know your students. Getting to know your students allows you to understand their strengths, weaknesses, and interests so that you will be better equipped to help them academically. Knowing your students as learners lets you anticipate the support that students will need to be successful and also allows you to build on the strengths that students demonstrate.
In addition, it is important that you get to know your students as people...people with feelings, needs, emotions, and fears. It is important to students for teachers to be aware when they are upset, having a difficult time, or dealing with problems. Students also love to know that their teachers know their interests, hobbies, and things that are important to them.
Students also desire to feel that their teachers love and respect them. They respond to teachers who are kind, caring, and interested in the student first...the learning second. They need to know that their teachers listen to them, value their opinions, and recognize that they have something to contribute.
I has the great opportunity this past week to observe a "Getting To Know" you activity in Mrs. Smith's classroom. As you can see from the picture above, the students were highly engaged in an activity that allowed them to talk with other students as well as their teacher. In fact, I even got to participate in the activity. Their excitement was contagious!
The article below provides additional information on the importance of getting to know your students. I encourage you to take a look.
Monday, August 14
- AMSTI Meeting - Math Department - Lunetta Reyer will be here today to work with the math department. Please plan to come during your instructional period.
- Back-to-School Night - 6:00 p.m. - Parents will have the opportunity to go through their child's scheduled classes. Each class will last 8 minutes with 3 minutes of transition between classes. Please be in your classrooms no later than 5:45 p.m.
Tuesday, August 15
- Science Meeting - The science department will be meeting during your instructional time.
- Faculty Meeting - RMS Media Center - Immediately after school - We will have a short meeting for the RMS budget committee to present the proposed 2017-18 budgets to the faculty.
Wednesday, August 16
- Safety Meetings - Mrs. Warhurst will be meeting with faculty/staff during instructional periods to discuss the RMS Safety Plan. Please bring your Faculty Handbook to the meeting with you and plan to attend during your instructional periods.
Thursday, August 17
- Faculty Meeting - RMS Media Center - Immediately after school - We will have a short meeting for the faculty to vote on the 2017-18 proposed budgets. Please bring a pen/pencil with you to the meeting.
- Community Solar Eclipse Event - RCS Board Room - 6:30 p.m. This is a community event to discuss the upcoming solar eclipse.