September 20, 2020
Monday, September 21 is an A Day!
Please take a moment to review this week's edition of the Falcon Flyer. It contains important information about both VirtualEd and In-person Distance learning. Watch for additional communications throughout the week updating you on the latest news impacting the school community. Enjoy the remainder of your weekend and have a wonderful week!
Dr. Trent Stern
Attendance is Required in VirtualEd and Distance Learning
In-Person (currently from a a distance) Education Information
If you need more information about In-Person Learning, please see the link below. It provides further information.
Change to VirtualEd Electives Schedule
In an effort to increase both student/teacher contact and instructional time during virtual electives for middle school, the elective course schedule has been adjusted as follows:
- Students will benefit from increased instructional time in Spanish/French, providing more opportunities for oral language proficiency. Students will now attend class with their virtual teacher Monday through Friday.
- To add increased instructional time, some students may have a Spanish or French teacher change.
- New class information will be available on Canvas this weekend and your student should receive an email from their teacher. Teachers will be speaking to students during class today to let them know of these changes.
- If a student’s teacher changes for Spanish/French, he/she will see revised classroom information and Zoom links/meeting times on Canvas tomorrow, Saturday, September 19.
Band and Strings:
- Students will now meet Monday, Wednesday and Friday at the previously communicated scheduled time. This provides an additional day of instruction.
- Band and strings teachers will update class information on Canvas to reflect this change.
All other Elective Courses:
- Elective Labs will replace all Office Hours and be offered the first 20 minutes of every Tuesday/Thursday. Students will individually choose which lab to attend based on their needs.
- This is an additional opportunity for students to connect with elective teachers for support and/or enrichment of virtual elective content.
All VirtualED elective classes will continue to have synchronous and asynchronous lessons. The new rotation below will begin on Monday, September 21.
Questions regarding VirtualED should be directed first to the VirtualED teacher or the home school designated VirtualED contact. A list of specific building contacts for VirtualED is provided via this link: VirtualED Building Contacts.
Please Pay Student Fees to Complete the Registration Process
Families, please remember to complete the registration process by paying student registrations fees. This is a critical step to ensure we have the appropriate staffing for both in-person and virtual education.
Completing registration now confirms that your child will attend school in September. Thank you for providing important information and parent permissions as part of the registration process. For more information about registration, visit www.bluevalleyk12.org/registration
Parent Access to Canvas
Generating a Pairing Code for Parent/Guardian in Canvas:
There are two ways to engage with Canvas as a parent or guardian: 1) using the Canvas website from a web browser on your computer or phone and 2) using the Canvas Parent App. Each account provides a slightly different experience because of the various features. Click here to find the steps to explain the process or to share with others. Please read carefully and choose the correct option based on your current situation.
Schedule Issues or Questions?
Melanie Watson, 6th grade M-Z and 8th grade ALL (email@example.com)
Roxanne Quinn, 6th grade A-L, and 7th grade ALL (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Flex & Intervention
For VirtualEd, students will also have an opportunity to use this time to connect with teachers. Virtual teachers will roll this out in the next week and will also communicate details directly with students.
Immunizations for Incoming 7th Grade Students
If you have questions, please contact our nurse, Brittany Petrich, at email@example.com