OPES Environmental Club Newsletter
September 15, 2014
Take a look at pictures from our first meeting!
Thursday, September 18th
1. Have your child find items that they would like to use to decorate their shoe. We have encouraged them to pick a theme. Get creative! For example,
- old discarded legos
- silk flowers and leaves
- random hardware pieces--washers, nails, bolts, etc
- water bottle/coke bottle labels/candy wrappers
- yarn pieces
- fabric pieces
Please send their items in a baggie. Keep in mind, we will have items that students can use as well.
2. Second, we will also have the students create posters and and create a short infomercial to advertise the event!
International Walk to School Day--October 8th
Please click the link to learn more about International Walk to School Day!
How You Can Contribute!
We Need You!
Fact: 1,000,000 pop tabs raises enough money for 20 free nights of lodging at a Ronald McDonald House!
Register to win a bench made from recycled materials as part of the "Give Your Garbage Another Life" campaign. If your family wins, we ask that you donate the bench to OPES and we will customize it with your family's name and the year!
- B2--Breathe Better Program through DHEC
- The Million Pop Tab Challenge through Ronald McDonald House of Charlotte
- Crayola's Color Cycle Recycle Marker Collection
- Recycling Program with York County Recycling
- Working to revitalize/plant school gardens/habitats
- Vermicomposting--fancy word for worm farms!
- World-Wide Water Monitoring Challenge participants
- Field Trips
- Many other fun activities!
Please click the link to see all of the things teachers and students have been doing to Go Green!