October 17, 2021
It's UIL week! The band has had some wonderful performances at marching invitationals and festivals, and now it's time for our official UIL evaluation this Wednesday evening. The UIL Region 3 Marching contest will be a ratings-only contest similar to concert band UIL. All bands that earn a first division rating will advance to the UIL Area contest on Saturday, October 30th.
Senior night is next week. ALL seniors need to submit their information for their slide by tomorrow afternoon. See info and link below.
Band Fee Payment #3 is due.
The next installment was due Friday, October 15th. See more information about payments below.
Senior Night - Form is DUE TOMORROW
Our Senior Night football game is coming up at the end of the month on Thursday, October 28th. Every year, we display a slide for each senior on the stadium jumbotron with their picture and post-high school plans. We need the following form submitted for each senior so we can put their slides together in time for the game.
All seniors need to submit this form by Monday, October 18th!
As soon as I have details about the evening and family involvement, I will update everyone.
Use this link to sign up to help at one (or more) of our events.
After School Region Sectionals
- What: Marching band rehearsals will end and we will begin holding weekly sectionals to help students prepare for the TMEA Region 3 Band Auditions.
- Who: All students in the Wind Ensemble and Wind Symphony. Students in Symphonic Band and Concert Band may also attend.
- When: Sectionals will begin the week of November 1st. Students will only need to attend one sectional per week. Specific schedules will be posted soon.
Elementary School Tour - Friday, November 5th
- What: We will take a portion of the marching band on a tour to all 8 elementary schools in the LCHS cluster and perform for their students and staff.
- Who: Wind Ensemble, Wind Symphony, and Battery Percussion students. (Unfortunately, we cannot take the entire band)
- When: Friday, November 5th 7:30am-4pm. Students will be excused from all classes.
GISD Middle School All-District Band Auditions - Saturday, November 6th
- What: LCHS will host the Garland ISD Middle School All-District Band Auditions on our campus.
- Who: Student Leadership Team and AS MANY PARENT VOLUNTEERS AS POSSIBLE.
- When: Saturday, November 6th 7am-5pm (Adult volunteers can help for any portion of the day. You do not have to be able to commit to the entire day.)
9th Grade Region Band Auditions - Saturday, November 13th
- What: 9th grade band students will travel to North Mesquite High School to audition for the Region 3 9th Grade Band.
- Who: All 9th grade students in the Wind Ensemble, Wind Symphony, and Symphonic Band. Students in Concert Band may audition if they would like.
- When: All day on Saturday, November 13th. Specific times for individual students will be announced soon.
High School Region Band Auditions - Saturday, December 4th
- What: Students will travel to Sachse High School to audition for the TMEA Region 3 High School Band.
- Who: All students in the Wind Ensemble and Wind Symphony. Students in Symphonic Band and Concert Band may audition if they would like.
- When: All day on Saturday, December 4th. Specific times for individual students will be announced closer to the event.
Marching Band Schedule
You can find our full calendar on our website: http://www.lchspatriotband.net/ and in the Band App.
Note: All members of the Patriot Band must attend every rehearsal in order to participate at football games and other band performances. Rehearsals are a graded, cocurricular part of every student's band classes. Any absences must be communicated by a parent to Mr. Hudler and must comply with the Patriot Band Attendance Policy in order to be excused.
UIL Region Week
Monday, October 18th
- 3:45pm - Call time
- 6:30pm - Rehearsal ends
Tuesday, October 19th - Stadium Rehearsal
- 3:15pm - Call time
- 6:30pm- Rehearsal ends. Students are picked up at HBJ stadium.
Wednesday, October 20th - UIL Region Contest
- 3:10pm - Run through begins
- 4:15pm - Uniform check out begins
- 4:35pm - Uniform check out ends
- 4:45pm - Inspection in the cafeteria
- 5:00pm - Depart LCHS
- 5:20pm - Arrive at Mesquite Memorial Stadium
- 6:10pm - Warm up
- 7:00pm - Performance
- 7:30pm - Students eat dinner (provided)
- 8:15pm - Ratings announced
- 9:00pm - Approximate return to LCHS
Thursday, October 21th
- 3:45pm - Call time
- 6:00pm - Rehearsal ends
Friday, October 22nd - Game Day
- 3:10pm - Run-through begins
- 4:10pm - Run-through ends. Students are released for dinner.
- 5:00pm - Uniform check out begins
- 5:20pm - Uniform check out closes
- 5:30pm - Inspection in cafeteria
- 5:35pm - Load buses and depart for Wylie Stadium
- 7:00pm - Game begins
- 10:45pm - Approximate return to LCHS. Students will need to unload equipment and return uniforms.
Marching Band Attendance Policy
Attendance at all marching rehearsals is critical for safe and effective performances. For this reason, it is the policy of the Patriot Band that students who have an unexcused absence from a marching rehearsal will not be allowed to participate in that week's football game. Absences will be excused for the same reasons the school might excuse an absence such as illness or family emergency. Absences must be communicated by email to Mr. Hudler in order to be excused. Communication must be from a parent or guardian.
Students who are unable to participate at a football game due to unexcused absences will be given an alternate written assignment that must be turn in on the next school day in order to receive credit for the performance.
Picking Up Students After a Game or Contest
When the band has loaded buses and departed to return to LC, an announcement will go out through the Band App. Parents/Guardians, please make sure you have downloaded the app and signed up for the following groups:
- LCHS Patriot Band (for everybody): https://band.us/n/a8ae5dt2H6q0A
- LCHS Band Boosters (for parents/guardians): https://band.us/n/aca75btfH5W3y
DO NOT PARK OR STOP in any of the bus or fire lanes to pick up your student. This is a safety and legal issue for our students and volunteers. The student parking lot gets very busy after games and contests and it is dark. Buses and box trucks need clear paths to drop off students and equipment and students need clear, safe paths to get to their rides. Please park in a parking space and wait for your student to come to you. This will help ensure that students are picked up safely and will be much faster for everybody if all travel lanes are kept clear.
Grades for our band courses are partially based on participation at all of our events (rehearsals, games, contests, concerts, etc.) and partially based on playing performance tests.
Our performance grades are evaluated using a mastery learning model. Students have multiple opportunities to perform and improve material until it is mastered. We use a very specific rubric to evaluate student performances. Scores are divided into three ranges and grades are based on those ranges. (Yellow= 60%, White= 80%, Blue= 100%) A copy of the rubric is attached for reference.
Fees will soon be available for payment through Skyward. Fees can be paid online through skyward or in the band office with cash or check made out to "LCHS Band."
The following are the fees that will be assessed:
- GISD Band Activity Fee: $200.00 **All Band and Color Guard
- Instrument Usage Fee $100 **Any student who uses a school-owned instrument, including percussion.
- Accompanist Fee: $40.00 ** Winds Only
Fees may be paid all at once or on the following schedule:
- August 15th, 2021 : $100.00
- September 15th 2021 : $100.00
- October 15th 2021 : $100.00
- November 15th 2021 : Remaining Balance
If you cannot make a payment by the due date, please contact the Director of Bands through email to make alternate arrangements. The Patriot Band will not exclude any student because of their family’s financial situation, but communication with the Director of Bands is essential.
We are asking that all students and parents/guardians download this free app and sign up for our group. When you sign up, please register with your first and last name.
We strongly encourage all members of the band to take advantage of private lesson opportunities this year. Lessons are incredibly beneficial to every student from Concert Band to the Wind Ensemble. They help students grow and improve individually, which is the best and fastest way for our band to grow and improve as an organization. This week the band staff will be reaching out to families who expressed interest in private lessons to help set them up and answer any questions. More information about private lessons can be found on our band website along with student applications and contact information for our amazing private lessons staff.