The Greatest There Ever Was
Vice President: Thomas Jefferson (anti-federalist, 3rd president)
Election Opponents: Thomas Jefferson & Aaron Burr (killed Hamilton in a duel)
Key People of the Presidency
Secretary of State: John Marshall (Chief Justice, made big changes for Judiciary Branch) & Timothy Pickering
Secretary of Treasury: Oliver Wolcott Jr. & Samuel Dexter
Secretary of War: James McHenry & Samuel Dexter
Attorney General: Charles Lee
America At This Time
-still having conflict with France and England
---France: XYZ affair
---England: led to Embargo Act
-A lot of anti-foreign acts coming about concerning immigrants/citizenship
-America becoming more integrated, with the expanding of the right to vote, participation in public events, and overall mixed public spheres.
- Was a Federalist: supported a bigger, national government, higher taxes, and centralized banks.
- Removed the excise tax on whiskey.
- Began to build a bigger military, needed funding.
- Pro-England , sort of Neutral-France: France; Revolution, XYZ affair , England; led to Embargo Act.
- I guess you'd say he kind of feared foreign nations, because he built up bigger military/navy.
- Alien + Sedition acts: Alien) Made the citizenship year requirements higher, so as to prevent immigrants to be able to vote for Anti-Federalists. Sedition) Made it so that the president could deport nearly anyone if they were thought to be suspicious/dangerous.
The Virginia & Kentucky Resolution - The Democratic Republicans backlash to the A&S acts, which made it so the southern states could declare any law they didn't agree with null and void.