A Caring Learning Community Celebrating Diversity
A Message from Our Principal - May 26, 2020
Dear Dumfries families,
We hope you all took the time to relax and enjoy your families during the Memorial Day weekend!
It's hard to believe that we have been engaging in virtual learning for over a month now. We are using Microsoft TEAMS for our lessons now. If you need assistance with Microsoft TEAMS, please see the video in this newsletter. Our teachers continue to plan lessons and activities weekly. Please continue accessing new learning opportunities on Learning Choice Boards that can be found on your student's teacher's webpage. Learning Choice Boards will be updated Sunday evening and you can visit our school website at https://dumfrieses.pwcs.edu/ to access teacher pages.
We are working on a schedule for parents to come and pick up students belongings. Look out for a detailed newsletter outlining the plan later this week.
We hope you all continue to be healthy and well.
Daily Schedule and Learning Choice Boards
Please visit https://dumfrieses.pwcs.edu/ to see our daily schedule and go to class pages to see each grade level's Learning Choice Board for this week. Learning Choice Boards will be updated weekly on Sunday evening at 7:00 pm.
How to use Microsoft TEAMS
We are now using the platform Microsoft Teams for our virtual lessons. Our Instructional Technology Coach, Mrs. Locke, has created a "How To Use Teams" video to help you and your student navigate this platform. If you have any questions, you are welcome to contact your student's teacher so that we can assist you. You may click the link below to view the video!
EdPlan Connect For Parents of Students in the Special Education Process
Please see the attached link for how to set up your EdPlan Connect account if you have a student who currently receives special education services. During your next meeting, your child's special education teacher or Mrs. McFadden will speak to you about EdPlan connect and will gladly guide you through how to set it up. Please ensure that we have your most up-to-date email address so that you will receive notifications.
If you have any questions about setting up your EdPlan Connect account, please email Mrs. Xanthe McFadden at email@example.com.
Summer School Information
Please see the update below from PWCS regarding Summer School. More details will be sent to families in the coming weeks:
The Prince William County Public Schools 2020 Virtual Summer School Program and dates are as follows:
Elementary School Summer Program: July 6–24, 2020 (15-day program)
Registration for the Elementary School Summer Program will run through Friday, June 12, 2020 at 4:30 pm. Parent(s)/Guardian(s) will receive communication to complete registration using a Microsoft form.
Due to COVID-19, there will be no late or on-site registration. All registration forms will be processed by the Summer School Office. Summer School Principals will communicate information regarding the Virtual Summer School program to families by Wednesday, June 24, 2020.
Registration for the 2020-2021 School Year
Registration is now open for the 2020-2021 school year! All registration will take place online with our school buildings remaining closed. Look out for our postcards and share the information with a neighbor or friend!
- Please click this link to register a kindergarten student: https://www.pwcs.edu/cms/One.aspx?portalId=340225&pageId=775554 then click on Enrollment Information to begin your online registration.
- Please click this link to register a student in grades 1-5:
The following documentation is required at the time of registration for a new student:
- Your student's original birth certificate or certified copy (with a raised seal.) For purposes of official business, you'll want to obtain a certified (raised seal) birth certificate from the Department of Public Health or Vital Records Office where the student's birth took place. This is also often described as an "official" copy. If you do not have a certified copy of your student's Virginia birth certificate please visit the Virginia Department of Health website for assistance.
- A deed or lease for your home or a contract for a new home (if you do not have a deed, lease or contract please read Regulation 711-3 for more information about documenting your residency in Prince William County).
- Two additional documents to prove your residency selected from the following:
- Valid Virginia driver’s license with current address
- Car registration
- Utility bill or utility hook-up documentation
- Personal property tax bill
- Bank statement
- Payroll stub
- Voter registration
- Car or Homeowners Insurance policy statement or card
- Other documentary evidence sufficient to prove residency
- Proof of Required Immunizations
- Negative results of a tuberculosis screening test for students who have been outside the United States or U.S. territories for three or more consecutive months during the five years prior to the registration date. Click here for more information.
- A comprehensive physical examination for students in grades K-5 performed within 12 months prior to the date the student first enters public school. The Virginia Department of Education and the Virginia Department of Health require documentation on the School Entrance Health Form MCH 213G (PDF) prior to enrollment. For more information visit:
- A copy of the current Individualized Education Plan (IEP) for students receiving special education services.
- Custody documents, if applicable.
You must have an email address and a ParentVUE account. If you do not have a ParentVUE account, the portal will direct you to create one. All documents may be uploaded into the registration portal. Registration begins online and is followed up with a mandatory in-person registration appointment to verify required documents, such as parent identification, proof of residency and the student’s birth certificate (original or certified copy). Dates and locations for in person verification have yet to be determined.
If you have any questions about the registration process, please contact Ms. Smith at firstname.lastname@example.org or at (703)634-3301.
Dumfries Elementary Family and Student Support Team
Dumfries Elementary School has created the Dumfries Elementary Family and Student Support Team to help support the socio-emotional needs of families during this time at home. They will be sending out a newsletter to families and staff twice a month with information about topics such as stress reduction, at home work habit skills, general mental wellness, and positive discipline/behavior support. They will also be available to assist and consult with families, as needed. Please feel free to reach out to any of them for support. Their contact information is listed below.
Michelle Clover, Full-time school counselor (Monday - Friday)
Office Hours: Wednesdays 2:45 - 3:15 and Fridays 10:45 - 11:15
Phone: 571-249-3362 (available during office hours)
Brittney Aladetohun, Part-time school counselor (Wednesdays & Thursdays)
Office Hours: Wednesdays 2:45 - 3:15
Phone: 757-295-8941 (available during office hours)
Tiffiny Edwards, School Social Worker
Work Hours: Mondays, Thursdays, and Fridays 8:30 - 3:30
Phone: 202-681-1954 (available during work hours)
K. Lindsay Campbell, Multi-Tiered Systems of Support Specialist (MTSS)
Office Hours: Mondays and Tuesdays 1:00 – 2:00
Jennifer West, Multi-Tiered Systems of Support (MTSS) Behavior Intervention Specialist
Office Hours: Tuesdays and Thursdays 1:00 – 2:00