Welcome Back Cougars!
We have several new things starting January 4th. We will be welcoming our students who have been learning virtually back into our building as Temporary Virtual Learning ended on December 17th. We look forward to seeing all of our students again in person. Also, we are excited to allow parents and guardians to join their children for lunch again beginning on January 4th. Please see below for specific information about visiting for lunches.
On January 8th, our Candy Cane Fun Run will take place. If you have not already registered, please review the PTO links below to register for this fun, family event!
Happy New Year! We hope the 2022 year brings you and your family health, happiness, and encouragement!
Keith Elementary Educators of the Year
January Family Calendar
Each month, we would like to take a moment to “Shine a Light” on our amazing teams at Keith! In this edition of the Cougar Connection, we want to share a little bit about our First Grade team!
Keith Elementary is fortunate to have nine remarkable staff members teaching our first graders. These ladies love making learning fun! They call themselves the “Fab Firsties” and they truly put that title into action each day! Whether they are wearing headbands and shirts that match the lesson for the day or dancing with the students to help the learning stick, you never know what kinds of fun you will find when you visit first grade. This team has a combined total of 81 years of teaching experience and it shows when you walk through their classrooms. "When you are working with little ones, keeping them engaged is key, and this team does it well," Mrs. Clements asserts, "They are constantly innovating to encourage student learning." One unique thing about this team is that they are welcoming two new babies to our Cougar family this year. Mrs. Francis and Mrs. McDevitt are both having babies this winter! Check out @KeithFirsties1 on Twitter to see some of the awesome things this team does each week!
1) Parents and guardians are invited to join their children for lunch. Any other adult who would like to attend lunch with a student must provide a hand-written, signed note from the parent or guardian inviting them to attend lunch with the student EACH time he or she comes to lunch (even if that person is listed as an emergency contact).
2) Parents, guardians, and parent-invited, responsible adults may provide food for their children during lunch periods, but are not permitted to provide food for any other students.
Please keep in mind that lunch is a great opportunity for your children to practice their social skills which are important in their overall development. When parents visit for lunch, students are not able to sit with their peers and practice these skills. With that in mind, we encourage parents to make visiting for lunch a special occasion and not an everyday occurrence.
1) Join Our Team at http://www2.heart.org/goto/KeithHasHeart or download the FREE Kids Heart Challenge App for Apple or Android
2) Take the Challenge to Be Active or Be Kind and you’ll earn a FREE KHC Wristband PLUS you’ll go into a drawing for a prize on kick-off day!
3) Complete FINN’S MISSION in your headquarters to learn Hands Only CPR, how to spot a stroke F.A.S.T., and how to help spread awareness by connecting to social media.
Message from the PTO- Light Up the Night Glow Dance Party
PTO Members get first access to purchase tickets! We expect to sell out for this event. Before purchasing tickets, it is imperative your child's info is updated in Toolkit in order for your tickets to be delivered to you!
*SALES BEGIN JAN. 3RD FOR PTO MEMBERS & JAN. 10TH FOR NON-MEMBERS*
Credit By Exam
Students in grades K-5 will have four opportunities during the school year to use “credit-by-exam” to accelerate to another grade level. Students will only have one opportunity to test for each grade level considered.
To apply to take the test to skip kindergarten, a student must be 5 by September 1, and registered in a CFISD school. To apply to take the test to skip grade 1, a student must be 6 by September 1, and enrolled in a CFISD school.
Students who earn scores of 80% or better on each component of the credit-by-exam will qualify to advance one grade. Only one grade level may be “skipped” each year. No retests will be given.
If you are interested in getting more information about credit-by-exam, please contact Lisa.Sudtelgte@cfisd.net