Emergency Certificated Substitute
Tonasket School District
Becoming an Emergency Certificated Substitute
If you have experience working with children, we invite you to apply to Tonasket School District to work as an Emergency Substitute.
What if I don’t have a teaching certificate?
As an Emergency Substitute, you can qualify for a school district initiated conditional certificate, valid for up to 3 years.
How much will I be paid?
Emergency Substitute pay is $130.00 for a full day which is 7 hours. If not working a full day, the hourly rate is $18.57.
Will there be training?
Yes, the Tonasket School District will provide training for Substitutes at time of hire.
How do I apply to become an Emergency Substitute?
The steps to become employed as an Emergency Substitute are outlined below.
- Contact the Tonasket School District Office to check the availability of substitute positions.
- Contact the district office for a certificated application.
- Submit the application back to the district office. Please indicate in your letter of interest that you are interested in working as an emergency substitute and your experience working with children in grades kindergarten through grade 12. This experience can be paid or volunteer experience.
- An interview will be set up for you with a district administrator. Upon their recommendation to hire you as a substitute, you will then complete a fingerprint background check and apply for your Emergency Substitute Certificate.
- Speak to the district office about information on how to complete a fingerprint background check to submit to OSPI: http://www.k12.wa.us/ProfPractices/fingerprint/Procedure-Fees.aspx. Fingerprints will be valid for all school districts in the state of Washington.
- Set up an account on the Education Data System to access E-Certification (where you will apply for the certificate): https://eds.ospi.k12.wa.us/Login.aspx and user guide http://www.k12.wa.us/Certification/e-Cert/E-CertEducatorUG.pdf
- Speak to the district office about requesting you as an Emergency Substitute teacher in the system.
- The districts that are requesting you as an emergency substitute will find you in the E-Certification system and add the request online, to your profile. This should send an email to the username you attach to your account.
- When you have received this notice, you can sign into your account and access E-Certification to claim the request.
- You should see the option to “Apply for Your District Request Here,” which you select and then hit the “Begin” button to the far right in order to start the application process. Only apply for one of the requests submitted if multiple districts are requesting you. Make sure all requests have been submitted before applying.
- Fill in the required information and criminal history questions. You will be asked for information on 3 character references. The fee payment is at the end of the application (it will ask for credit/debit card information; we are unable to accept American Express).
- Once the application has been submitted, you can check the review status on your E-Certification profile.
- You will receive an email when the certificate has been issued and will be able to print/download a copy of the certificate from your profile.
- Once you have received notification that your certificate has been issued you will need to call and notify Anitra Atchison at the district office or print a copy of your certificate and deliver it to the district office.
15. You cannot work until the district receives your fingerprint background check results.
You will then receive a contact from the district office regarding scheduling an appointment to complete hiring paperwork and orientation.