CES Weekly Communicator
Communicator #5: September 2, 2022
Emergency Medical Forms
Please take a moment to complete the Emergency Medical Authorization form. Classrooms that have 100% returned forms on infinite campus will earn a popsicle party and a movement break with the leadership team! This form is NOT just for field trips. It is a form that tells us who to call in case of emergency.
Here is the link to infinite campus to log in and complete it for EACH student:
The safety and security of our students and staff is our top priority at Chapelfield. We are constantly reviewing our safety procedures and protocols in order to keep everyone safe.
- Professional development for teachers is ongoing in the security/safety discussion. Our staff met with Gahanna Police Department last week to review safety protocols.
- All doors to the school are always locked, never propped open with children present.
- Visitors must have a reason to visit. Visitors must come through the front office only with the exception on breakfast with buddies.
- A Driver's license must be provided if you are coming to school to visit or volunteer. Please come prepared.
- Volunteers working with students need to have a background check prior to working with students. *This is a new district policy. Please contact your child's teacher or Mrs. Miller for the link to complete for the background check .
- We practice ALICE Drills: Alert, Lockdown, Inform, Counter and Evacuate. We practice these drills 3 times a year and parents/guardians are notified at the conclusion of the drill via an email from Mrs. Miller. We had our FIRST practice drill on Monday, September 29.
- We also practice fire drills and tornado drills with our students throughout the school year.
MAP TESTING LETTER-from the desk of Tia Holliman; Director of Curriculum
Dear GJPS families,
Beginning this fall, students in kindergarten through tenth grade will take the NWEA Measures of Academic Progress (MAP) Assessment as a universal screener in the areas of reading and mathematics. The MAP Assessment measures student achievement and academic growth over time. It also compares student, class and grade level performance with other students’ performance across the country. The MAP Assessment is web-based and adaptive to measure your child’s instructional level. If your child answers a question correctly, the next question is more challenging. If they answer incorrectly, the next question is easier. The results are one data point that will help to provide a more complete picture of what your child knows and is ready to learn, helping staff better plan instruction to meet their needs.
The MAP Assessment will be given three times a year (fall, winter, and spring) to grades 1-5 for benchmarking. Kindergarteners will take the MAP Math assessment twice a year (winter and spring). Your building principal will share the specific dates for your building before testing begins. Following each testing window, you will receive a report showing your child’s performance and growth. For more information about MAP Assessments, check out the Family Guide to MAP and NWEA Family Toolkit. If you have questions, please do not hesitate to contact your child’s teacher or building principal.
PLEASE SEE OUR DATES IN THE CALENDAR AT THE END OF THE NEWSLETTER.
Tia P. Holliman
Director of Curriculum
Gahanna-Jefferson Public Schools
Family Letter - Spanish version
Family Letter - Somali version
Family Letter - Nepali version
Hello Chapelfield families! If your family is in need of extra food on the weekends, please fill the GRIN form linked below to receive the GRIN Weekend Snack Packs. Your name/your student's name will not be shared with GRIN. Fill out the form here. If you have any questions, please contact me at 614-643-0765.
Also, we have the opportunity to have small groups focusing on anxiety; executive functioning (organization skills); and social skill groups with Mary Kathleen Crimmel. Please fill out this form if you feel that your child would benefit from this opportunity: https://forms.gle/NTDCREJmBV8mz3Gi8
I hope you all have a great long weekend!!
GJPS Approved School Calendars
The following school calendars were approved at the August GJPS School Board Meeting.
2023-24 GJPS School Calendar (PDF)
2024-25 GJPS School Calendar (PDF)
2025-26 GJPS School Calendar (PDF)
The GJPS calendar for this current school year (2022-2023) is linked below for your reference:
2022-23 GJPS District Calendar (PDF)
2022-23 FOOD SERVICE: BREAKFAST AND LUNCH
For the 2022-23 school year, the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) has ended the nationwide program which allowed students to receive school meals at no charge for the past two years.
While breakfast and lunch will still be available to all students in our cafeterias, the meals will no longer be free. Students who do not qualify for free/reduced-price meals will pay the following prices for breakfast and lunch:
- K-12 Breakfast: $1.50 *Breakfast begins at 7:40 AM at Chapelfield Elementary.
- Elementary School Lunch: $2.75
- Middle School Lunch: $3.00
- High School Lunch: $3.00
If you believe your family may qualify for free/reduced-price meals, please apply online for free or reduced-price meal benefits with these easy steps:
- Sign in to your Infinite Campus Parent Portal.
- Choose "MORE" in the left-hand column
- Choose "MEAL BENEFITS".
Free/Reduced-Price Meal Benefits Online Application Tutorial (PDF)
Here is what is happening in PTO:
Mum Flower Sales starts August 29 to September 12 (paper order) September 19 (online ordering ends). Pick up for Mum Sale is September 28. Catalog will go home Monday August 29 with students.
Come for our first PTO meeting of the year on Tuesday, September 13 in the library & babysitting in the gym from 7-8 p.m.
Thursday, September 22 from 6-8:30 p.m. @ Skate Zone 71. Come hang out with new and old friends!
September Important Dates
Monday, August 29-Wednesday, September 14: FALL MAP TESTING WINDOW for 1-5th grade
Monday, September 5: LABOR DAY; NO SCHOOL
Tuesday, September 6: 2nd grade MAP testing-Reading
Wednesday, September 7: 2nd and 4th grade MAP testing-Math
Thursday, September 8: 1st & 5th grade MAP testing-Reading
Friday, September 9: 1st & 5th grade MAP testing-Math
Saturday, September 10: Restaurant Nights for PTO @ Whit's
Monday, September 12: School Pictures
Tuesday, September 13:
- 3rd Grade MAP testing-Reading
- PTO General Meeting; childcare provided
Wednesday, September 14: 3rd grade MAP testing-Math
Thursday, September 22: PTO Skate Party @ Skate Zone 71 from 6-8:30 p.m.
Friday, September 23: Progress Reports Published
Thursday, September 29: Parent Teacher Conferences 3-7 p.m.
Friday, September 30: Food Truck Friday's: Hogback BBQ Pit from 11-1 p.m.