The Gayman Gazette
What's happening in and around Gayman Elementary School?
Upcoming Important Dates
- Friday, March 22nd – Early Dismissal @ 11:55 AM (PM Kindergarten Reports for AM Session)
- Thursday, March 28th – Portfolio Conferences from 8:00 AM – 4:00 PM (No School)
- Friday, March 29th – Good Friday Holiday (No School)
- Monday, April 1st – Kindergarten Portfolio Conferences (No School for Kindergarten ONLY)
- Tuesday, April 2nd – Kindergarten Portfolio Conferences (No School for Kindergarten ONLY)
- Thursday, April 4th – Portfolio Conferences from 4:00 PM – 8:00 PM
- Friday, April 5th - Young Author's Day
- Tuesday, April 9th - Tuesday, April 16th - PSSA Testing (Grades 3-6 Reading & Math)
- Monday, April 22nd & 23rd - PSSA Testing (Grade 4 Science ONLY)
- Friday, April 26th - Staff vs. Staff Pillo Polo Fundraiser @ Tohickon Middle School
Welcome Miss Bertman
As you may be aware, our art teacher, Mrs. Alderfer, is expecting her first child very soon. We wish she and her husband well as she begins her maternity leave on Monday, March 18th. Mrs. Alderfer's anticipated return date is Wednesday, June 12, 2013.
I am pleased to announce that Miss Andrea Bertman will be our long-term substitute during Mrs. Alderfer's absence. Miss Bertman earned her Bachelor of Arts degree in Art Education from Kutztown University and her Masters degree in Art Education from The University of the Arts. Most recently, she worked as a long-term subtitute in the Pennsbury School District. Please join me in welcoming Miss Bertman.
Leprechaun visits Kindergarten
Kindergarten had a surprise in their classrooms waiting for them when they arrived on Friday! They discovered that the leprechauns had visited while they weren’t there and had made a mess of their rooms-even the bathrooms! The leprechauns had also taken their pot-o-treats that their teachers had made for them. A very special, helpful, leprechaun arrived to help them find their treasure by leading them on a treasure hunt around the school complete with rhyming clues! At the end of the hunt the students were thrilled to find their pot-o-treats and thanked the helpful leprechaun for leading the hunt!
Gayman parents have been invited to attend the NOVA Cyberbullying Program being held at Linden Elementary on Thursday, March 21st, at 7:00 PM.
Does your child have access to a cellphone, computer, notebook, tablet, ipad, xbox, or any device with internet capability? Are you aware of the many ways in which your child is able to send and receive messages through the “world-wide web”? How familiar are you with the many social media sites? Instances of inappropriate cyber-communication and cyberbullying are growing at an alarming rate. Research shows that the BEST protection a child has against this type of damaging contact is a well-informed parent. PLEASE don’t miss the opportunity to attend this valuable and timely program presented by the knowledgeable staff from the Network of Victim Assistance.
Kids Care Club "Jared Box" Project
On Thursday, March 21st Kids Care Club will be making "Jared Boxes" to help brighten the lives of hospitalized children at St. Christopher's Children's Hospital. Students will be filling shoebox size plastic storage boxes with small gifts,toys, cards, and games. A donation box will be placed by the front office from Friday, March 8th - Tuesday, March 19th.
To participate in the Kids Care Club project click here.
operation helping hand
food drive april 10, 2013
You CAN make a difference in Bucks County. Bring a donation to school on Wednesday, April 10, and help your community be a stronger, happier, healthier place. Donations are distributed to various agencies and pantries in Bucks County. For complete details click here.
Food Guide by grade level (Please check expiration date before donation.):
Kindergarten - Canned Vegetables, Cereal
1st Grade - Cereal, Nonperishable Milk Products
2nd Grade - Canned Fruit, Tomato Products
3rd Grade - Peanut Butter, Jelly, Canned Meat
4th Grade - Canned Fruit, Juice, Cereal
5th Grade - Spaghetti Sauce, Canned Tomatoes
6th Grade - Tuna, Canned Meat, Stew, Rice
Roxy Reading Event - May 4, 2013
Roxy Reading is having their very first fundraiser on May 4th, 2013. It is going to be a dog walk/parade through Doylestown. There will be a hat contest (for both dogs and their owners), vendors, animal rescues. Many of the Doylestown merchants and restaurants are donating a percentage of their sales that day to Roxy Reading. Our goal is to raise money so that we have the funds to provide grants or financial assistance to CBSD students in need.
Gayman students have been, or are involved in, the Roxy Reading program. The Gayman community is invited to be a part of this event! Please click here to view the flyer.
School Board Briefs
At the March 12, 2013 School Board Meeting, the Central Bucks School District School Board:
1. Heard the Holicong Select String Ensemble performance before the school board meeting.
2. Heard the Superintendent’s State of the District presentation and the I.U. Board Committee Report.
3. Approved School Board Minutes.
4. Approved the Aramark Contract extension and the Water Tank Hydrostatic Coating Contract for Gayman Elementary School.
5. Approved School Board Policy 806 – Child Student Abuse.
6. Approved various personnel items, student trips, and staff workshops.
7. Received a Sabbatical Leave of Absence and the Board Calendar as information items.