East Side Press Family Newsletter
April 4, 2021
Graduation Information 2021
- Final assessments June 1-4, 2021
- Friday, June 4, 2021: final day for senior attendance and classes
- Graduation practice: Friday, June 11. Time TBD
- Graduation weekend: Saturday, June 12 at 11:00 am at Tosa West. (Rain date June 13, same time /location. Tosa East's ceremony will be held at 11:00am; Tosa West's ceremony will be held at 2:00pm.)
- Seniors should have picked up cap, gowns, and graduation materials last week. Remaining items are available in the office.
Where is graduation?
- We are planning for an outdoor graduation this year at Wauwatosa West.
- Hart Park is not available all weekend and the north field at East does not have adequate bleacher seating. Indoor graduation does not appear to be feasible.
How many tickets can we get?
- At this time, we do not know exactly how many tickets students will be given but attendance will be limited. I estimate 2-4 tickets per graduate.
Will it be streamed?
- We are planning to have graduation streamed live for those who can not attend.
Graduation planning will continue to evolve as we get closer to the event. We are working hard to provide a graduation ceremony for students and families that will celebrate the accomplishment of our students and meet the community guidelines and district parameters for a large event.
Wauwatosa Aquatic Center Virtual Grand Opening
On Monday, March 29 we held the virtual grand opening event of the Wauwatosa Aquatic Center at Wauwatosa East High School. The event was streamed live on Facebook and featured speeches from School Board member Mr. Shawn Rolland, Superintendent Dr. Phil Ertl, Wauwatosa East Principal Mr. Nick Hughes, and our generous donors, the Morgridges, as well as a ribbon cutting and ceremonial first dive and first lap in the new pools.
Songs For a New World
Tech Ed Open Shop
Tosa East Unity Garden
This grant writing and organization was spearheaded by four Tosa East seniors: Michela Miller, Maggie Kasdorf, Ellie Cady, and Sienna Daniels. These young women worked hard to write out their plans, communicate with stakeholders in the building, district, and Wauwatosa community to make their vision a reality. The hope that we have for the unity center is to establish a greater sense of belonging among students and staff at Tosa East.
The unity center will be an ongoing project throughout the years. In our first year, we have plans in place to build garden beds and benches for the courtyard. Tosa East student council looks forward to working together as a school community to make the vision for the courtyard space a reality.
(Pictured from left to right: Ellie Cady, Sienna Daniels, Michela Miller, and Maggie Kasdorf).
Upcoming Important Dates
Please note the following upcoming dates.
Monday, April 5 - classes resume
Friday, April 16 - no classes (JK-12); teacher professional learning day; staff COVID-19 vaccine clinic
Friday, May 28 - no classes (JK-12)
Students can use the following troubleshooting steps if they have issues with login:
- Make sure the account is activated. The activation process is very simple and is demonstrated here.
- Make sure the student is not logged in to Zoom with another account.
- Check that the student is using the Zoom app (not just the website).
- Ensure the student is using the "Sign in with Google" button on the app.
Canvas Observer Accounts For Families
- Needing a little support with your Wauwatosa Virtual Academy (WVA) courses? Check out this resource sheet.
- Don't forget that our Academic Resource Center (ARC) staff is available to provide support. Please check out their schedule here.
- If you are unable to attend your live virtual class, please make sure that you call the East attendance line (414-773-2002) to report the absence.
Class of 2021 High School Graduation
The Wauwatosa School District intends to hold graduation ceremonies in-person for the class of 2021. Ceremonies will be held outdoors on Saturday, June 12, 2021. Should we be unable to hold the event due to inclement weather, ceremonies will take place on Sunday, June 13, 2021. Wauwatosa East’s graduation ceremony will begin at 11 am; West’s ceremony will begin at 2 pm. Additional information will be provided as we approach these dates.
Senior Cap and Gown
Jostens has collected the in school orders for graduation materials. If you missed the opportunity, you can complete the order packet and send it directly to Jostens. There is also an online ordering opportunity. Please use the steps below to order items:
- Go to jostens.com and choose the tab for “Shop High School”
- Enter your correct school name and choose it. (Wauwatosa East High School)
- Choose the “Graduation Tab”
- From there you can go to available packages or scroll down to individual items
Virtual Peer Tutoring Program
With the help of upperclassmen, the Student Services Department is rolling out a Virtual Peer Tutoring Program. Hour-long tutoring sessions via Zoom are available at various times and days. If students have questions, they should reach out to their school counselor.
Student Services Team
Mrs. Bratcher - School Counselor
Mrs. Carter - School Counselor
Mr. Linscott - School Counselor
Ms. Merg - School Counselor
Ms. Phillips - School Social Worker
Ms. Schmidt - School Counselor Intern
Mrs. Morgan - Administrative Assistant
Mrs. Taylor - Career Center Coordinator
Interested in joining a club? Contact an advisor today!
- American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU): Ms. Alizah Ross
- Amnesty International: Mr. McHugh or Mr. McDaniel
- Black Student Union (BSU): Mrs. Bratcher or Mrs. Keenan
- Book Club: Mrs. Hamilton-Parulski
- The Cardinal News (School Newspaper): Ms. Sampson or Ms. Salerno
- Chess Club: Mr. White
- DECA: Ms. Ann Ross
- Gay Straight Alliance (GSA): Mr. Etter
- Girls Who Hike: Ms. Merg
- HOSA (Future Health Professionals): Mrs. Loving
- International Friendship Club: Ms. Schmidt
- Key Club: Mr. Olsen
- Linguistics Club: Mr. Kolpin
- Philosophy Club: Mr. Kolpin
- Psychology Club: Ms. Dederich
- Student Council: Ms.Tierney
- Tosa East Environmental Club (TEEC): Ms. Oliver
- Tosa East Players: Ms. Jaskulski
- Yearbook: Ms. Dono
Library Resources Available
Our high school libraries have a new streamlined way for students to conduct research called EBSCO One-Search. Once students put in a search term, it will take them to all our content and databases that are indexed and organized in one spot.
If students are working from home, they can go to East Library Website and EBSCO One-Search box and log in with their Google credentials.
Reminder: Spring Athletics Registration
Try-out/practice start dates for our Spring sports will be a little later this year than normal. The WIAA has given schools that opted out of fall sports a chance to have a mini fall season beginning in March.
Here are the start dates for this year:
- April 12: Lacrosse
- April 19: Boys & Girls Track, Softball, Baseball and Boys Golf
- April 26: Girls Soccer
- May 3: Boys Tennis
In order to be eligible to participate on the first day of your Spring sport practice, ALL student athletes must have each of the following:
- If this is your first sport of the school year, complete the registration process on the athletic website (http://tosaeastathletics.com) by clicking on the “More” button and then the Registration button and following the instructions given. If you have already created your parent account, simply add your Spring sport. If this is your second sport of the school year, please go in to your parent account, select sport/season and grade level. Make sure all information is still correct and click submit to finish the registration.
- A current physical on file with the athletic department. If this is your second sport of the school year, we already have this on file for you. The $50 per sport athletic participation fee is due.
- A clearance card (issued when your physical is verified, online registration completed and the $50 athletic fee is paid) to be given to the coach on the first day of practice. Clearance cards will not be issued for a Spring sport to any Winter athletes that have not returned their complete uniform and any equipment to the athletic department.
Please contact Sue Flatley in the Athletic Department at 773-2032 with any questions.
Wauwatosa District Athletic and Spectator Procedures and Policies
As a reminder, only 2 family members per athlete are allowed at most events.
TOSA EAST STAFF
Wondering where to direct your question(s)?
Main line: (414) 773-2000
Tosa East Administrative Team
- Principal: Nick Hughes; (414) 773-2010
- Associate Principal (students with last names A-K): Betsy McGinnity; (414) 773-2011
- Associate Principal (students with last names L-Z): Jordan Stein; (414) 773-2012
Additional Staff Resources
- Athletic Director: Michelle Guyant-Holloway; (414) 773-2014
- Attendance: Gina Obscherning; (414) 773-2002
- Infinte Campus Parent Portal Access: Liz Hughes; (414) 773-2005
- School Fees (including athletic fees and enrollment fees): Sue Flatley; (414) 773-2032
- Student Services (transcripts, address changes, etc.): Janice Morgan; (414) 773-2030
Our Tosa East Main Office is open Monday-Friday from 7:00am-4:00pm
From School Exec Connect: Superintendent Search Update
The School Board approved the New Superintendent Profile this week. The Profile is a one-page description of the qualities, talents, and leadership experience of our next superintendent. The Profile has taken shape over the past 2 months from the feedback provided by the community survey (800 responses) and from the 14 focus groups where 130 staff, parents, students and community leaders contributed. The Profile will inform the assessment, selections, and final decisions as we choose our new school leader. You can see the New Superintendent Profile by clicking here.
Applications were accepted until March 26. Our consultant team has been evaluating the 30+ candidates using the Profile and will select approximately six to meet with the School Board the week of April 12. The school board will then select 3 finalists; each finalist will spend a full day of engagement with the school community the week of April 19. Plans are being developed to create a series of meetings, interviews, and a community presentation to provide parents, students, and staff an opportunity to hear from each finalist. The day will close with an extensive interview with the school board.
The School Board will make the selection the week of April 26 after fully vetting the chosen candidate and completing contract arrangements. An announcement of the next Wauwatosa School District Superintendent is expected the week of May 3. The new Superintendent will begin the role on July 1.
Mask-Wearing in District Buildings
On April 5, 2021, Wisconsin’s mandatory mask mandate is set to expire. Regardless of state- or city-wide mandates, proper mask-wearing will continue to be required of all individuals who enter Wauwatosa School District buildings until further notice. All individuals must wear a face covering that covers both their mouth and nose when they are in the same room as another person. This includes hallways, cafeterias, conference rooms, restrooms, etc. Individuals may remove their mask when eating and drinking. Exceptions may be made for medically-based reasons. Students and families should contact their school nurse if an individual need exists. Masks will be provided for individuals who do not have one. More information can be found here.
USDA Summer Food Service Program
The Wauwatosa School District is pleased to announce the sponsorship of the Summer Food Service Program. As part of this program, free meals will be made available to children 18 years of age and under. Individuals 18+ years old who are determined by a state or local public educational agency to be mentally or physically disabled and who also participate in a public or private non-profit school program during the regular school year may receive free meals as well. This summer, meals can be picked up at Whitman and Longfellow Middle Schools on Wednesdays from 9 - 11 am. Click here to place meal orders or see the Virtual Learners Lunch Request Form in the Quick Links section of the district website (www.wauwatosaschools.org). Meals are provided to eligible children regardless of race, color, national origin, age, gender or disability and there will be no discrimination in the course of meal service. The district will continue serving the free meals for the remainder of the school year. More information about the Summer Food Service Program can be found here.
2021-22 School Year: At-a-Glance Calendar
As we approach the 2021-22 school year, you can find the year’s at-a-glance calendar here. The calendar can also be found in the Quick Links section on the district website and on each school’s website.
Last Day of School
The last day of school is Friday, June 11, 2021 which is scheduled as a half-day of school. Please note the following arrival and dismissal times:
High School: 8:00 - 11:30 am
Middle School: 8:10 - 11:40 am
Elementary + Montessori School: 8:20 - 11:50 am
The Summer Activity Guide is available to view here. Check out the Recreation Department website for all Summer Activities Registration dates. With warmer spring weather around the corner, why not get out on the golf course and sharpen up your game?! Click here for Adult Golf classes available for registration.