August 19, 2016
Join us for Curriculum Night!
Dyer Curriculum Night
Kindergarten - 2nd grade:
Wednesday, August 24, 2016
3rd grade - 5th grade:
Thursday, August 25, 2016
We are especially thrilled to have you join us this year. Our teachers are excited to provide you with an opportunity to experience a day in the life of your student here at Dyer Elementary! We recommend that students remain at home. However, if this not possible, your child may attend and enjoy the evening at your side.
Education is inspiring one’s mind and that is what we strive to do here at Dyer!
Come out to see what our teachers are doing to prepare our students to think critically and creatively.
We look forward to seeing you all next week
“Expect Excellence in Everything!”
Donuts with Dad
When: Friday, August 26th, 2016
Time: 7:45-8:15 a.m.
Who: Dads* and Dyer Students
*If dad is not available, another adult may attend with a student.
Start your day with a delicious donuts and put a smile on your child's face. Dyer Elementary PTA will serve members FREE donuts, coffee and juice in the cafeteria! Not a member? Join today on MyPaymentsPlus or that morning, at the door! Remember to bring your PTA Membership Card; they will be coming home at the beginning of next week, please be sure to check your child's bookbag.
**We are looking for some Moms (or anyone!) to help serve our Wonderful Dads during this event: Donuts for Dad Please click the link if you can help out!**
Dear Dyer Elementary Parents,
Hello! My name is Dawn Garner, and I am the School Counselor at Dyer Elementary School. My goal is to provide services and support that will allow each child to achieve success. The counseling program consists of three major components:
- Classroom Lessons: Topics for these lessons are based on the Gwinnett County Public Schools Guidance and Counseling Standards and Competencies and include topics such as anger management, impulse control, empathy, problem solving, career awareness and test-taking skills. Lessons are done every three weeks.
- Small Group Counseling: Groups meet weekly to solve or cope with concerns that may affect school performance. Teachers, administrators or parents may make referrals. Students may also refer themselves. Group participation is voluntary and parents will be notified.
- Individual Counseling: Individual students meet with the Counselor if needed to discuss coping with concerns that affect their daily life. School staff or parents may make referrals. Students may also refer themselves. If a child needs more than a few sessions, the Counselor may provide a list of professionals in the area for parents to consider using.
I strive to work closely with parents and staff on any issues affecting students. One such issue is attendance. Please be sure to always send a note with your child explaining the reason for an absence. I often work with students and their parents when there are excessive absences or tardies.
Please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or concerns. Have a great 2016-2017 school year!
Dyer Media Center
Dear Parents and Guardians,
Welcome to the new school year at Dyer Elementary. Isn’t it amazing to watch your children learn to read? It is a pleasure for us to have the opportunity to share the love of reading with your children and to support the joy of reading by making good books available to your child to read. Below, you will find a few tips for helping your child’s library experience be successful.
· Help your child find a safe place to keep library books.
· Remind your child to protect the book from pets and younger children.
· Be sure your child has clean hands while reading the books.
· Remind your child not to color or write in library books.
· Remind your child to keep the book dry.
· Read the book to your child or with your child. Take time to talk with your child about the book to see what they liked about it and to check for the understanding of the story.
· Remember that your child can understand a book far above his or her reading ability, so continue to read aloud to your child.
· Help your child to remember to bring back the library books on time.
There are no fines for overdue library books. However, a child cannot check out a new book until the overdue books have been returned to the Media Center.
If a book is lost or badly damaged, then the book must be paid for before another book can be checked out to your child. The cost of lost and damaged books:
· $15 for a hardcover book
· $5 for a softcover book
There are examples of children who quit reading because as they learned to read better, their parents stopped reading aloud to them. Please don’t make this mistake with your beginning readers. Remember that they like to hear books that they cannot possibly read to themselves for several years. We hope that you will let your child see you enjoy reading, too, so he or she can see that people of all ages appreciate reading a good book. Reading opens the door to a lifetime of learning.
Shirley Langford Jennifer Burnette
Media Specialist Media Clerk
For more information, visit our Media Center website:
Attention General PTA Membership:
Due to an oversight on the Bingo Plan of Work, the posted budget needs to be adjusted by $200 in the Bingo Expense Category. Thank You for your understanding. ~ Dyer PTA
Mark your calendars for these upcoming events!
August at a glance
24th - Curriculum Night: Grades K-2
25th - Curriculum Night: Grades 3-5
26th - Donuts for Dads
30th - Sonic Spirit Night
Looking to September
1st - Muffins with Moms (Grades K, 2 & 4)
1st - Boy Scout Sign Ups (7-8:30PM)
2nd - Muffins with Moms (Grades 1, 3 & 5)
2nd - College Spirit Wear Day
5th – Labor Day (No School)
6th – Room Parent Meeting
7th – Bruster’s Blue Ice Day
8th – Grandparent’s Lunches (GradesK, 2 & 3)
9th – Grandparent’s Lunches (Grades 1, 4 & 5)
9th - Fundraiser Orders Due
9th - NFL Spirit Wear Day
9th - PTA Bingo
12th PTA Board of Director’s Meeting
12th School Council Meeting
13th – Chili’s Spirit Night
16th – PTA Hat Day
21st – 23rd CogAT – Grades 1, 2 & 5
26th – Book Fair Begins
27th – School Pictures
27th - Zaxby’s Spirit Night
28th & 29th – Early Release
30th – United Way Pajama Day
30th - Last Day of Book Fair
Please Consider Serving - See Opportunities Below!
There are so many wonderful things planned for this school year, and we would love for you to be a part of them! None of our events could not take place without the help of our fabulous volunteers. There are several opportunities to serve Dyer listed below. Please consider signing up to help out! Any amount of time you have to offer is incredibly valuable, and much appreciated!
Dyer @ Gwinnett Braves- Sunday- August 21st at 2:05pm
We are looking for some Volunteers to help distribute tickets before the game: Dyer Elementary at the Gwinnett Braves Please click the link if you can help out.
Curriculum Nights Wednesday 8/24 & Thursday 8/25
We are looking for some Volunteers to help during Curriculum Nights: Dyer Bears Curriculum Night Please click the link if you can help directly before or after the event.