The Red Bird Express
Building Our Future... One Child at a Time
November 16 - 20, 2015
Quote of the Week...
"You can teach a student a lesson for a day; but if you can teach him to learn by creating curiosity, he will continue the learning process as long as he lives." ~ Clay P. Bedford
Redford the Red Bird Recipients - Margaret Pelletier & Maria Shannon
Great Things Are Happening at Cardinal Forest!!
Veteran's Day Salute
Melissa Kirkendall used poetry to help her students show their appreciation for our Veterans!
Our students love writing personal narratives!
One Day After School...
This student is off to a great start with her personal narrative. We can't wait to read the rest of her story!
Veteran's Day Salute
Focusing on Our SIP - Mathematics Teaching Practices
The National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM) publication, Principles to Actions, highlights a core set of high-leverage practices and essential teaching skills necessary to promote deep learning of mathematics. This week's practice focuses on the importance of using math tasks:
- Implement tasks that promote reasoning and problem solving. Effective teaching of mathematics engages students in solving and discussing tasks that promote mathematical reasoning and problem solving and allow multiple entry points and varied solution strategies.
When planning for instruction, remember that mathematical tasks can range from a set of routine exercises to a complex and challenging problem that focuses students attention on a particular mathematical idea.
CFES Expectations and Reminders
- Teachers and Instructional Assistants may not leave the building during lunch time based on your contracted time of 7.5 hours in which you are paid during your unencumbered lunch time. If you must leave the building, you are required to fill out a leave slip to account for the time you are out of the building.
- Call the main number, 923-5200, if you need to contact the office. With the new phone system, the office staff is unable to pick up private lines. Please use the main number when calling the front office.
Red Bird Tech Bit
- @NoVAEdChat, #novaEdChat - Are you on Twitter? If so, check out this feed to learn abut what educators in our region are doing to engage students in the classroom.
- Tech Trainings This Week on Tuesday: 8:10-8:35 am/ 4:00-4:30 pm - “Setting up your Twitter and Google Plus Accounts: Locating Great Classroom Resources”
- Have you wanted to get your students on a coding site that doesn’t requires a username and password? In preparation for the Hour of Code week, December 7-13, here is a great resource that students in K-6 can do.
Farewell to Lisa Cureton
We bid a fond farewell and good-luck to Lisa in her new custodial position in North Carolina. Her last day at Cardinal Forest will be Thursday.
A Special Thank You to...
- Kristi Baeseman, Samantha Lewin, Melanie Krotz, Margaret Pelletier, Rebecca Wright, Maria Shannon, Baillie Rechin and Joe Maniscalco for a fantastic Veteran's Day performance. Parents loved it and thought this performance was the best one they had ever seen!
- Jamie Thompson for the wonderful patriotic silhouettes that framed the set of the Veteran's Day performance and the hand print flag in the front lobby. She orchestrated the artwork in the hallways and display case for our parents to enjoy during the performances.
- Fred Allard for helping grades 3 - 6 with securing the technology we needed for the first round of eCART testing!
- Kid Talk Meetings (9:25 - 3:50)
- Team Leaders Meeting (8:00 - 8:45)
- 5th Grade Field Trip to Green Springs Garden (9:30 - 12:30)
- FECEP Family Breakfast (9:30 - 10:15)
- Thanksgiving Luncheon - Grades K, 2 & 5
- SCA Meeting - Officers and Representatives (in the library from 1:05 - 1:35)
- Thanksgiving Luncheon - Grades 1, 3, 4, & 6
- Turkey Trot (3:10 - 3:30)
- Turkey Bingo (6:00 - 9:00)
- FECEP Family Meeting (9:15 - 10:15)
- FLE Parent Preview Night (6:00 - 7:30)
- Make up Pictures (9:30 - 11:00)
- Preschool Thanksgiving Play (2:30 - 3:45)
- Two Hour Early Closing @1:55
November 26 - 27
- Thanksgiving Holiday (No School)