Information for the ORHS Wildcat Nation! 8/8/2022 #220
WELCOME TO OUR. NEW ADMIN ASSISTANTS!
OR has made changes this year in order to accommodate our students in a better way.
- OR will run concurrently with lunch.
- Attendance is mandatory, and skipping OR will be treated as a class cut.
- Parents will receive an automatic text message when the teacher enters the missing assignment. Students will receive an email as well.
- OR will be on an alternating A/B day schedule. Juniors and Seniors will attend on A days. Freshman and Sophomores will attend on B days.
- Participants will be dismissed early from 2nd block to pick up their lunch and report to the Amphitheater to do their work.
- Students will stay the entire hour regardless of when they finish. Do your work on time.
- Students making up tests and quizzes will be allowed to leave once the assessment is completed.
Thank you for partnering with us in improving the culture where ORHS is a place that students learn through completing assignments.
NEW & IMPROVED OPEN HOUSE - AUGUST 11TH
Teachers will be positioned throughout the building, and parents may move through their child’s schedule at their own pace rather than following a bell schedule as we have done in previous years. Please bring a copy or a screenshot of your child’s schedule.
Parents will also have a chance to get signed up for Skyward/Canvas access if needed and to meet the ORHS counselors and administrators. We look forward to seeing you there.
OPERATION RESTORATION CALENDAR - AUGUST
CLASS OF 2023 FAMILIES - VERY IMPORTANT INFORMATION!
Click here for the Class of 2023 Newsletter: https://www.smore.com/kc3se
The newsletter is full of information for seniors and their families. Please mark your calendars for these important upcoming dates:
- August 1 – November 1, 2022 – TNPromise Scholarship Application Open. Apply at www.tnpromise.gov
- August 25, 2022 - Senior Seminars for Students – ORHS Amphitheater. Students will be called down by alphabet throughout the day. Topics include applying to college, sending transcripts and requesting letters of recommendation.
- September 1, 2022 6:00 pm - Senior Seminar for Parents - ORHS Amphitheater
- September 20, 2022 - Community College Day for Students- September 20 – ORHS Amphitheater. Students will receive assistance applying for the TNPromise Scholarship and applying to a Community College.
- September 20, 2022 5:30 p.m. - College Admissions Evening - ORHS Amphitheater (Representatives from UT Knoxville, Maryville College and Roane State will discuss the admissions process for a 4 year public college, a 4 year private college and a 2 year college).
- September 22, 2022 5:30 p.m. - Financial Aid 101 - ORHS Amphitheater (presentation by TSAC - TN Student Assistance Corporation)
- September 26, 2022- 5:30 p.m.-7:30 p.m. - College and Career Fair- Wildcat Arena
- October 18, 2022 - ACT Senior Retake Date - The ACT will be given during the school day to all 12th graders. This test is FREE.
- November 1, 2022 - TN Promise Scholarship Application Deadline
- November 10, 2022 5:30-7:30 Financial aid completion night - ORHS Media Center/Library
- December 13, 2022 3:40 p.m. – Mandatory TNPromise Meeting for Students - ORHS Food Court
- January 24, 2023 5:30-7:30 Financial aid completion night - ORHS Media Center/Library
- March 1st – FAFSA deadline for the Class of 2023 (fafsa.gov)
LADY WILDCAT SOCCER SEASON STARTS THIS WEEK!
As the Lady SoccerCats’ embark on the 2022 season, Coach Donnie Green’s roster will be full of fresh faces for the second season in a row, as the squad lost eight starters from the 2021 team. Yet, with a sizable roster of 37 players — 14 freshmen among them — Green sees the potential for a new wave of talent and excitement for the Lady Wildcats soccer program.
LOTS OF NEW FACES AT OAK RIDGE HIGH SCHOOL
OPPORTUNITY FOR MEXICAN FOOD AND LADYCATS VOLLEYBALL AT THE SAME TIME!
WILDCAT SWAG AND SUPPORT NJROTC!
NJROTC is having a Fan Cloth fundraiser, please consider supporting your favorite cadet. The sale closes August 19th. Below is just a SMALL sample of what is available. Mens, Womens, and Youth items are available.
DRESS CODE EXPECTATIONS
- Hats or hoodies on the head are NOT allowed in the building.
- Shorts, Skirts, Kilts, etc. must be fingertip length.
- Students may have holes in jeans; however, holes must meet the fingertip length requirement.
- Midriffs, or clothing reveal the abdominal area, are NOT allowed.
- Pajama pants are NOT allowed.
- Chains and Spikes are against dress code.
If a dress code violation occurs, the student will be given one lunch detention even when the violation can be immediately corrected. Students who cannot correct the violation will go to ISS until appropriate clothing can be obtained.
We encourage parents to read the entire dress code policy in the Oak Ridge Schools Code of Conduct manual. Dress code expectations can be found on pages 15, 16, and 17. Click the link below to be directed to the website.
UCORE - GREAT OPPORTUNITY FOR STUDENTS
STUDENT ID BADGES ARE REQUIRED
- Safety - Most importantly - to identify students who should be in the building
- Entry into the building - it's a key card
- Entering the Library
- Printing at the various printers around the school
- Signing into Operation Restoration
- Coming to Counseling for an appointment
IMPORTANT STUDENT LUNCH INFORMATION
While families may not plan to take advantage of free school meals, many families will qualify for services far beyond meals such as reduced ACT and AP test costs. This information is strictly confidential and can be sent to Julie Brockwell in the Main Office or directly to Dr. Larissa Henderson, Pupil Services.
NO OUTSIDE FOOD!
WORKIN' AT THE CARWASH
MASQUERS - DATES HAVE BEEN UPDATED
Glue Dots (Props) Meets in CS224 every Tuesday from 3:15-5.
Fixer-Uppers (Costumes) Meets in the Dressing Rooms every Tuesday from 4-5:30.
Ghosts (Teck – sound, lights, set) Meets on the stage every Wednesday from 2-5.
Important Dates: Updated Dates
August 8th – Improv Rehearsals start on Monday August 8th and continue on most Mondays.
September 15th, 17th & 18th – Performances of The Curious Savage.
*September 26th – Auditions for the Fall Showcase
October 1st – Secret City Improv Festival
*November 14th – Interest Meeting for the Spring Musical(The Lightning Thief: The Percy Jackson Musical)
*November 21st & 22nd – Auditions for the Spring Musical (The Lightning Thief: The Percy Jackson Musical)
*November 28th – Callbacks for the Spring Musical (The Lightning Thief: The Percy Jackson Musical)
January 3rd-March 2nd – Rehearsals for The Lightning Thief: The Percy Jackson Musical
January 5th-April 21st – Rehearsals for Atomic Acts (Mondays Improv and Wednesdays for Scenes until tech week)
March 3rd-5th – Performances of The Lightning Thief: The Percy Jackson Musical
April 22nd – Atomic Acts Performance
*Very important Dates
OAK LOG SALES FOR 2022-23
Purchase the Oak Log for your Wildcat from our multi-year award winning Journalism team led by Becky Hale.
Please ask that any students or parents who have pictures of the following please submit them to the Eshare app:
- Summer vacation and travel
- Summer jobs
- Summer camps (band, Scouts, sports training and practice, Governor’s School, etc.)
- Summer music favorites or concerts
- Summer trends
- Summer adventures off your bucket list
MEN'S BASKETBALL 25TH ANNUAL GOLF TOURNAMENT
JUNIORS & SENIORS - IT'S TIME TO PAINT IT UP!
Details are in the flyer below.
CITY OF OAK RIDGE CHRISTMAS PARADE INFO!
WHO IS YOUR ADMINISTRATOR??
Executive Principal - Drayton Hawkins email@example.com
SENIORS - David Foust firstname.lastname@example.org
Juniors - Stephanie Thompson email@example.com
Sophomores - Russ Wise firstname.lastname@example.org
Freshman - Beth Estep email@example.com
Curriculum Principal - Jennifer Milligan firstname.lastname@example.org
SCHOOL COUNSELING SUPPORT TEAM!
Seniors - Class of 2023 Brianna Ottinger - email@example.com
Juniors- Class of 2024 Heidi Foster - firstname.lastname@example.org
Sophomores- Class of 2025 Ashley Bennewitz email@example.com
Freshman - Class of 2026 Paige Taylor - firstname.lastname@example.org
Social Worker: Alison King email@example.com
Guidance Administrative Assistant: Amy Campbell firstname.lastname@example.org
Link to Website: https://www.ortn.edu/highschool/academics/school-counseling/
Follow our team on Instagram:
Watch for announcements on Twitter: @ORHSCounseling
MEDICATION FOR THE CLINIC
Please reference School Board Policy 6.405 Medications
DOES YOUR TEEN NEED AN SF-1010 FORM FOR THEIR DRIVER'S PERMIT?
OTHER WAYS TO SUPPORT OAK RIDGE HIGH SCHOOL
WE NEED YOUR HELP!
DO YOU SHOP AT FOOD CITY??
- Visit http://www.foodcity.com/schoolbucks
- Click the blue “Login” button under Customer Login
- Enter your username and password for your Food City online account.
- At the top of the page click, “My Account”. This will load the customer dashboard page.
- Below the Fuel Bucks section, you will find “My School Bucks” section. (The total school bucks earned will show here as well)
- Click the “Update School” link listed below. Select the school and click, “Save”
School Bucks-Store Level Enrollment
- Stores can enroll schools from VC Enroll for customers who do not have access to the internet. (Only HRCs and HCs have authorized access.)
- To do so they enter the customers ValuCard number, selected “Look UP” and select the school the customer has chosen in the School Bucks field.
- Why is my school not on my receipt? Schools are no longer listed on receipts but can be managed anytime from their online account.
- When does this begin/end? The program runs from September 2, 2021 thru May 10, 2022.
Deadline to register is December 31, 2021.
Total awarded amount: $700,000
**PLEASE HELP OUR CLASS RAISE $$ BY REGISTERING!! Share w/ everyone you know!
Follow These Steps to Link your Kroger Card
• Sign into your Kroger account at Kroger.com or set up an account with your Kroger card if you haven’t registered your card before
• Click on your name to access your information (“My Account”)
• Choose account summary
• At the bottom of the page, you will see “community rewards”
• Click “Enroll”
• You are now officially linked to our account to earn money for the school through your purchases.
If you are using the app to enroll, click the three bars and choose "Rewards" then"Community Rewards."
If you have any problems, please call Kroger at 1-800-576-4377
WE ALL SHOP AMAZON - SUPPORT AN ORHS ORGANIZATION AT THE SAME TIME!
The following ORHS organizations have an Amazon Support account:
ORHS - Band Boosters
ORHS - PTSO
ORHS - Orchestra Booster Club
ORHS - Wildcat Football Boosters
ORS - Public School Education Foundation
Amazon Prime membership benefits are the SAME. The only difference is Amazon makes a donation to your chosen organization. Share this information with your friends, grandparents, alumni, and anyone who shops Amazon.
• Go to Amazon.com and login to your account or set one up if you will shop on Amazon.com
• Search for amazon smiles charity choices
• Click Change Charitable Organization at the top of the page
• Now click on #1 Sign in to smile.amazon.com on your desktop or mobile phone browser.
• On the right hand side you will see pick your own charitable organization:
• Type in Oak Ridge School and click search
ORHS GRADE LEVEL LEADERSHIP TEAMS
Ways to Connect and STAY INFORMED
Website - http://www.ortn.edu/highschool/
Daily Bulletin - http://www.ortn.edu/highschool/daily-bulletin/
Channel 15 at 7:50 AM - Watch the announcements each morning by our Crew! YouTube Streaming: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL9N_azmWeQByrIW6pWLBlQ
Live in Knox/Anderson/Roane - If you live throughout Anderson/Roane/Knox counties and have ATT Uverse you can find us on Channel 99 – just select the Oak Ridge Schools option.
Skylert Messages and Emails - Please make sure your current email address and phone numbers are up to date!!!
PTSO Newsletter - PTSO distributes a VERY detailed quarterly newsletter to inform parents of upcoming events and LOTS of counseling information! This comes to your email! They also have a presence on the website: http://www.orhs-ptso.org/news-information with tons of information! PTSO also has a Facebook presence, and we encourage you to "LIKE" their page! https://www.facebook.com/ORHSPTSO/
Twitter - Follow the accounts listed below