Buckingham Elementary School
The Mighty Knight Connection - May 2013 - Issue 9
Central Bucks: Kindergarten-Sixth Grade Registration
Do you have an incoming Kindergarten student or First-Grader? Does your neighbor? Spread the word! Early registration helps with future planning and contributes to more accurate class size allocations. Please be sure to register with Central Bucks School District Registration Department for any child starting in Central Bucks next year! CLICK HERE for more details from Central Registration.
Buckingham Kindergarten Orientation will be held on the morning of August 28th prior to the start of school. More information to follow!
Planning for 2013-2014 School Year
Buckingham provides parents with the opportunity to complete a Parent Input Form for their child. The purpose of this form is designed to gather parent input about your child that may help us in our planning for the 2013-14 school year. Parent Input Forms for students are optional and available in the Buckingham Main Office -or- can be printed from our website. Deadline to complete and return the form is May 17th.
Information & Upcoming Events
- May 2 - PEN Field Trip - 6th Grade - Law Day
- May 3 - Buckingham Africa Walk (Raindate - 5/10)
- May 3 - PSSA Make-Up Assessments Conclude
- May 4 - Roxy Reading: Strut Your Mutt Event
- May 7 - National Teachers Day
- May 7 - iRun-4-Life - After School
- May 8 - National School Nurse's Day
- May 9 - 5th Grade Field Trip - Constitution Center
- May 10 - Think Grey Day - Wear Black & Grey
- May 10 - 4th Grade PEN Field Trip - Invention Convention - Doyle Elementary
- May 10 - Radcliff 6th Grade - Clean Streams
- May 12 - Happy Mother's Day!
- May 14 - iRun-4-Life - After School
- May 14 - CBSD School Board Meeting - Educational Services Center - 7:30PM
- May 16 - 1st Grade Choral Program - 6:30PM; 2nd Grade Choral Program - 7:30PM
- May 17-19 - CB District Art Show - Mill Creek Elementary
- May 21 - iRun-4-Life - After School
- May 23 - Buckingham General PTO Meeting - 9:30AM (Elections)
- May 23 - Buckingham's Rita's Spirit Night - 4:30PM-6:30PM
- May 24 - 1st Grade Field Trip - Working Farm
- May 24 - 2nd Grade Field Trip - Lost Caverns
- May 27 - NO SCHOOL - Memorial Day
- May 28 - Vollman/Williams 6th Grade - Clean Streams
- May 28 - iRun-4-Life - After School
- May 28 - CBSD School Board Meeting - Educational Services Center - 7:30PM
- May 29 - 1st Grade Field Trip - Storybook Musical Theater
- May 29 - Bus Driver Appreciation at Buckingham
- May 30 - 3rd Grade PEN Field Trip - Architecture - Doylestown
- May 31 - Buckingham Field Day (Raindate - 6/7)
Buckingham - Liberia Walk-a-Thon - 5/3
This year, Buckingham will again support another Walk-A-Thon on Friday, May 3rd, 2013. This summer, 100% of the donations will support a school project in Liberia, Africa. The project will consist of the construction of a new school building for primary students. In addition to building the school structure, a solar-power system will be installed that will allow women to learn how to read and write in the evenings. Be sure to check the weather and to dress appropriately! Wear your Red, White, and Blue!
To see last year's event and how Buckingham positively impacted others - Click Here! Pasword - Africa
Strut Your Mutt with Roxy Reading Therapy Dogs - 5/4
Think Grey Day - 5-10-13
Many CB Schools, like Buckingham Elementary, will be celebrating the Matthew Renk Foundation's Think Grey Day. A Central Bucks School District student, Matt fought a courageous battle against his disease. The Matthew Renk Foundation is a non-profit organization that was started to generate awareness of childhood brain cancer and to provide support for families facing this challenge. The foundation will undertake programs to help educate the public about childhood cancers, fund research and provide direct support to families grappling with the exorbitant health care costs needed to treat the disease. Along with seeking corporate support, the foundation is introducing a “think GREY” (grey is the color that corresponds to brain cancer awareness) sporting apparel to further generate funds and awareness. For more information, visit www.matthewrenkfoundation.org.
May is National Brain Tumor Awareness month. On Friday, May 10, 2013, Matthew and others will be honored to promote awareness on a day we call “think GREY” Day. Proceeds to the shirt sales goes to the foundation, as well as, the partnership which the foundation has made with The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia. Checks should be made payable to The Matthew Renk Foundation.
Please CLICK HERE for an order form and bring to the Buckingham Office.
District Art Show: Hands On - May 17-19
Save the date! The opening night of the District Art Show 2013 is on May 17th from 6:30 - 8:30 p.m. at Mill Creek Elementary. Every year, many of our Buckingham students are featured. Why not gather your family and check out the incredible talents of students across the district?
To order a T-Shirt to support the District Art Show, Click Here for an order form.
Help Retire US Flags at Buckingham
Young Authors - Kay Winters Visits Buckingham
Buckingham Elementary was proud to host children’s book author, Kay Winters, on Friday, April 19th. Over the past few weeks, the students have been very busy getting ready for her arrival.
Kindergarten and 1st Graders read, Our Teacher For President, and talked about what would make their teacher a good president. 2nd and 3rd Graders read both Tiger Trail and Wolf Watch and then went onto the Online Encyclopedia to research more facts about tigers and wolves. 4th Graders read, Abe Lincoln: The Boy Who Loved Books, and created a PowerPoint slide including three book-jackets of their favorite stories. The 5th and 6th Graders read Colonial Voices: Hear Them Speak and Voices of Ancient Egypt in order to create an Audacity recording. They then used a digital camera to capture a page of one of the stories to import into a PowerPoint and include the MP3 of their Audacity recording. Kay Winters was so impressed with the hard work that went into the technology components of these projects, that she incorporated a few of the students’ finished products into her assembly presentation!
During Kay’s presentations she shared her background and her love of reading and writing stories. Students and teachers were asked to interact throughout the assemblies. Mrs. Kraus and Mr. Funseth even ended up with “the chicken pox,” which was a featured poem in her first published book, Did You See What I Saw: Poems About School. Kay finished her visit by signing books for students and Buckingham's library collection. She also autographed the Author Quilt hanging in our library with other children’s book authors that have visited Buckingham over the years. Throughout the day, Kay repeatedly commented on how well-behaved and engaged the students were during the assemblies, as well as how friendly they were in the hallways.
Great job to our Mighty Knights for their wonderful behavior and thanks to everyone that helped make Kay Winter’s visit so much fun!
Mrs. Kraus - Librarian
Buckingham - Reading Olympics 2013!
Three teams of Buckingham fifth and sixth graders read collectively over 40 books and answered questions in the Bucks County Reading Olympics on Tuesday, April 23rd at Mill Creek Elementary School. These teams met many mornings during the school year to prepare for this event, and there were many hours of reading done individually by each child. Our teams won two blue ribbons and a red ribbon for their efforts, and we are proud of their teamwork, responsibility and respect during the Olympics as they were fine representatives of Buckingham Elementary!
Buckingham Celebrates Earth Day!
5th Grade's Adventure at the Ropes Course
Fifth Grade visited the Elbow Lane Camp at Experiential Dynamics this past week. Children completed group problem solving activities which emphasized the spirit of team building. Students challenged themselves to work through their fears, use good decision-making skills, and participated in experiences designed to increase self-esteem and self-reliance.
Administrative Professional's Day
Buckingham Presents: 3rd Grade Wax Museum!
Buckingham Science Fair
CB Cares Boomerang Nominations
May: #40 Positive View of Personal Future -
Young person is optimistic about his or her own future and strives to reach his/her goals. They have hopes, dreams, enthusiasm and plans. He/she demonstrates strong efforts to achieve their goals, whatever they might be
Students/Parents/Teachers, please nominate a Buckingham student by clicking here! In your paragraph, include how your nominee exemplifies this month’s asset. Nominations are due to Mr. Rosica by May 20th.
School Board Briefs
At the April 23, 2013 School Board Meeting, the Central Bucks School District School Board:
1. Heard the Tamanend Jazz Band performance before the school board meeting and via video, the Pledge of Allegiance was led by Mrs. Kovnot’s 1st grade Jamison class.
2. Heard the Academic Spotlight about “Training Peer Mentors”. This is a video created by Lindsay Smith and Renee McErlean, teachers at Bridge Valley Elementary School, along with their students demonstrates what they have learned about Autism and what they have learned about being a friend.
3. Heard the Superintendent’s Report, Curriculum, Finance, Human Resources, Operations, IU Board, and MBIT Committee Reports.
4. Approved the School Board Minutes.
5. Approved the Treasurer’s Report.
6. Approved the Resolution for the 2013-2014 Proposed Final Budget. The proposed final budget for 2013-2014 is $290,683,982. There will be a “zero” increase in Real Estate Taxes for the 2013-2014 school year. The school board will take action on the final budget adoption at the May 28 meeting.
7. Ratified the transfer of $23 million from the General Fund to the Debt Service Fund.
8. Approved Purchasing Items for the following subject areas: General Teaching, General Art, Secondary Art, Physical Education, Science, Tech Ed General Hardware, Team Sports Supplies.
9. Approved Construction Contracts as follows:
- Emergency generator at the Ed Services Center to Pinnacle Electrical Construction - $262,400
- Roofing replacement at the Ed Services Center to Laurant Construction Co. - $199,695
- Roofing repairs and installation of a new single ply membrane at the Transportation Annex to Union Roofing Contractors - $98,000
10. Tabled School Board Policies Use of Medications and Electronic Signatures so that the proposed policies can be posted on the CBSD website for public review.
11. Approved School Board Policy 902-1 – Cable Television.
12. Approved various personnel items and student trips.
13. Received a Sabbatical Leave of Absence as an information item.
Buckingham Elementary School
Buckingham, PA 18912-0158
Principal, Karl Funseth
Principal's Secretary, Janice Petrie