January 13, 2014
Mrs. McEachern's Message
What's Happening in First Grade?
Reading - The story Whistle for Willie by Ezra Jack Keats. We will be focusing on the following skills:
- identifying story elements (characters, setting, problem and solution)
- retelling with details
- relating to characters in the story
Writing - The students will begin to write and publish their own story. They will begin the writing process.
- brainstorming an idea
- using a four square graphic organizer to generate the different parts of their story
- write a draft and conference with teacher
- more than and less than comparative number stories
- solving number stories
- addition fats using doubles
- fact strategies
- Where is my Gingerbread person? ( Using our map skills to find where our Gingerbread person has visited)
- Exploring weather (clouds and water forms)
January 16th - Scholastic Book Order due online. Our class code MF2R4.
January 20th - No School - Martin Luther King Jr. Holiday
- CB Cares Martin Luther King Jr. Day of Service @ Gayman Elementary
January 24th - Early Dismissal - End of 2nd Marking Period
January 27th - No School
Monday - Library - Return library books
Tuesday- Gym - Wear Sneakers
Wednesday - Art
Thursday - Music
Friday - Computer Lab
*THURSDAY- SCHOOL STORE OPEN BEFORE SCHOOL
*If weather permits the students will be going outside for recess. Please dress your child appropriately for outside play!
100 BOOK CHALLENGE
Just a reminder to log any book your child reads on their pink Reading log paper. When they have completed the log please return the paper to school. Your child will be recognized for reading 100 books with their pictured displayed on the First Grade Reading Challenge bulletin board.
We are hallfway through the school year and our class supplies are running low. If you could please replenish the following items for your child it would be greatly appreciated.
- pencils ( No mechanical - Please!)
- glue sticks
- crayons ( ask your child if they need new ones)
- colored pencils
- dry erase EXPO markers
- wipes ( we use them each day to clean our desk after snack)