October 19 - October 23, 2020
In Otter News...
Tuesday, October 19 - November 2
Sign up for 21 Day Challenge
Saturday, October 24
Medical Disposal Day
Monday, October 26
Student Holiday - No School
Tuesday, October 27
Watch D.O.G.S. Pizza Party
Thursday, October 29
PTA Membership Zoom Meeting and Fall Online Event!
PTA Reflections Program Extended Deadline - October 30th
Thursday, December 3
Saturday, December 5
Holly Jolly (virtual) Fun Run & 5K
Communication between the home and school is valuable in creating a learning partnership to support the academic growth of students. Each year, Allen ISD designates a specific window of time for teachers to conduct formal conferences with parents regarding student progress. Traditionally, this is scheduled on campus during the last week of October. This year, elementary teachers will communicate with parents on academic progress through a variety of methods. Communication will occur during an extended period of time from now until mid-November and may include formal conferences, personalized phone calls, or academic reports. As always, if you have specific concerns, you are encouraged to reach out to your child’s teacher.
PTA Reflections Contest - Deadline Extended!
We need your help to have Olson Elementary well represented, and there are MANY ways to participate! This year's theme is "I MATTER BECAUSE..."
- Here is the link for the Reflections flyer on the PTA Website: https://olsonpta.membershiptoolkit.com/reflections
- The Categories are:
- Visual Arts
- Film Production
- Music Composition
- Dance Choreography
- Please submit digital files of your work by Friday, October 30th to the Reflections' chair at email@example.com. Originals will be required for the Visual Arts and Photography categories if advancing to the state level.
- A great way to share your film, music or dance choreography file is to upload it to your Google Drive and share the link with the PTA Reflections chair at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For additional information, visit the Texas PTA's Reflections Eligibility and Participate page. Please include the Student Entry Form with your submission.
- Special Artist Division: Students who identify as having a disability may enter in the Special Artist Division or grade division most closely aligned to their functional abilities.
- If you have any questions, contact your Olson PTA Reflections Chair: email@example.com
Show your school spirit with a yard sign
LET'S GET HEALTHY TOGETHER!
MEDICATION DISPOSAL DAY!
THANK YOU FOR SUPPORTING OUR ONLINE FALL BOOK FAIR
- Thank you so much for supporting Olson's Online Scholastic Fall Book Fair. Your purchases will keep kids reading and our school thriving!
- Congratulations to all of our 2020 Fall Book Fair Winners:
- $50 Tiff's Treats "Milk & Cookies" Grand Prize: Emma Chesnut - 3rd Grade/Jensen
- The Very Hungry Caterpillar Butterfly Growing Kit Grand Prize: Claire Kacer - 4th Grade/Landers
- Daily Student Book Winners:
- Monday, Sept 28: Adelyn De Villez & Manreen Parhar
- Tuesday, Sept 29: Mlek Yidez & Lucas Chesnut
- Wednesday, Sept 30: Journey Sparrow & Jayden Wu
- Thursday, Oct 1: Aarav Nair & Juan Quintanilla
- Friday, Oct 2: Avery Smith & Irmias Bekele
- Monday, Oct 5: Jedidiah Palmer-Frels & Piper Lewis
- Tuesday, Oct 6: Avery Johnson & Yuhan Han
- Wednesday, Oct 7: Kamryn Gill & Micko Salipuran
- Thursday, Oct 8: Mia Hernandez & Jesse King
- Friday, Oct 9: Chandler Lewis & Alessandro Ramirez
STORYBOOK CHARACTER PUMPKIN DECORATING CONTEST
- Get into the Fall Spirit by decorating a pumpkin! Olson PTA is hosting the Storybook Character Pumpkin Decorating Contest! Contest rules and information will be posted soon to the Olson PTA Facebook page, so start brainstorming ideas. The winner will be announced at the Olson PTA Membership Zoom Meeting, Thursday, Oct 29th.
CALLING ALL WATCH D.O.G.S.
We still need dads to sign up for
our virtual Watch D.O.G.S. program.
Each week, 2 dads will be spotlighted
in Olson's Weekly Announcements.
Participating dads should submit a video of
themselves answering the provided questions.
Please see the sign up genius for instructions.
2020 HOLLY JOLLY VIRTUAL FUN RUN & 5K
HOLLY JOLLY 5K AND FUN RUN (VIRTUAL)
One of Allen's most exciting holiday events, the annual Holly Jolly 5K and Fun Run (formerly the Rudolph Run), is now virtual!
This family-friendly competition is open to all ages and skill levels. The top 3 runners for each gender and age division of the Holly Jolly 5K will receive a medal. Prizes will be awarded to the top overall and Master's (40+) male and female winners.
Holly Jolly Fun Run (VIRTUAL FOR 2020!)
Holly Jolly 5K (VIRTUAL FOR 2020!)
Track and submit your virtual 5K race time
If you're participating in this year's virtual 5K and you want to track and submit your race time/results, you have two options to do this.
For more information, please call 214.509.4810 or email Athletic Program Supervisor Joey Ramos.
SPIRIT SHOP IS NOW LIVE
- Spirit wear shop is live on the PTA home page. Order - your masks and shirts today!
Allen ISD Student Nutrition Department
· Reimbursable meals served in elementary and middle schools and at the 4 curbside pickup locations (Rountree, Boyd, Ereckson and Curtis) are FREE through December 31, 2020 regardless of eligibility.
· Students are allowed one free breakfast and one free lunch per day. Parents should not pick up meals for students eating at school. Meals can be preordered for the student and siblings ages 1-18 years of age for pickup at the 4 curbside locations only. Curbside pickup can be ordered by clicking here.
· If you think you may be eligible for the free or reduced lunch program, please compete the application for this school year even though meals are currently free for elementary and middle school students. Free or reduced meal application link: https://www.allenisd.org/Page/50163
OLSON CAFETERIA MONITORS NEEDED
HI Otter Families,
I wanted to reach out to our community to recruit two cafeteria monitors for the Olson lunch room. Lunch room monitors supervise our students from 10:30-1:30 while they eat lunch. In addition to student safety, primary duties include handing out sporks and napkins and visiting with our students! If you or someone you know might be interested in the position, please apply through the Allen ISD job posting link here .
FROM THE NURSE
Please make sure you are screening your child for COVID - 19 symptoms each morning before sending them to school each day. Click here for tips and tricks from the CDC for how to wash hands and wear a mask!
School Hours: 7:45 am - 2:55 pm
The building opens at 7:30. Student supervision begins at that time. Please contact the office no later than 2:30 if there are changes in how your child will be picked up. Please email or call the school office in the morning if your child is absent or leave a voicemail 24/7 at 972-236-0600, ext. 1800. When your child returns to school, he/she will need to bring a signed note with the reason for the absence.