The Region Report
Region 5 Updates - March 2021
From the Desk of Dr. Triscilla Weaver
The Return to Face to Face Instruction
Superintendent Cheryl Watson-Harris announced our plan to safely reopen schools. In Phase Two and Phase Three, cohorts of students will participate in hybrid, in-person learning based on their choice to attend school. Pre-kindergarten, kindergarten, first grade, second grade, sixth grade, and ninth-grade students began in-person learning on Tuesday, March 9, 2021. Cohort A for the remaining grade levels will start on Monday, March 15, 2021 and Cohort B for the remaining grade levels will begin on Thursday, March 18, 2021. All students return on March 29, 2021; however, Wednesdays will remain independent learning days. Please check your school's website for transportation information.
As we plan to reopen schools, it will take the cooperation and commitment from all stakeholders to be successful and safe of COVID-19 as we utilize and reinforce the mitigating strategies outlined by CDC.
School was Different Today by Dr. Lisa McGhee
Racing to get dressed and fed
I could hardly wait to see my friends and my teacher too
But before leaving out, there are a few additional things that I must do
I grabbed some hand sanitizer and my mask
Practicing safety measures is the new task
I waited at the bus stop with much anticipation
School, was my next destination
I got on the bus to look for my friends
With one person per seat, I must ask, "will this ever end?"
I walked in the classroom and saw an X on my desk
I went to one row and my friend to the next
Six feet apart to keep our distance from others
Made it hard to talk to one another
We followed the rules everywhere we went...Restroom! Cafeteria! Gym!
Just to give you a hint
Things were not the same
Everybody looked different and we have COVID-19 to blame
Everywhere I turned, I saw signs and arrows directing my way
I must say, school was DIFFERENT today!
Read Across America
Several of Region V schools including E.L. Bouie Theme School and Flat Rock Elementary School planned activities for Read Across America week to promote reading.
"Reading is dreaming with open eyes."
Congratulations to Region V 2021 DCSD All-Region Basketball Players and Coach!
5A Girls All-Region
· Player of the Year: Adrieena Brownlee - Southwest DeKalb High School
· Coach of the Year: Kathleen Walton-Richey - Southwest DeKalb High School
6A Boys All-Region
· Player of the Year: Zyair Greene - Miller Grove High School
TESTING! TESTING! TESTING!
The Georgia Milestones Assessments (EOG and EOC) testing calendar has been amended. Please make note of the changes.
Georgia Milestones: End of Grade (EOG) SPRING
- Tues/April 20 ELA Section 1
- Thurs/April 22 ELA Section 2
- Fri/April 23 ELA Section 3
- Mon/April 26 Mathematics Section 1
- Tues/April 27. Mathematics Section 2
- Thurs/April 29 (Science 5 & 8)Science Section 1
- Fri/April 30 (Science 5 & 8) Science Section 2
- Mon/May 3. MAKE-UP DAY
- Tues/May 4 (Grades 8)Social Studies Section 1
- Thurs/May 6 (Grades 8) Social Studies Section 2
- Fri/May 7 MAKE-UP DAY
Georgia Milestones: End of Course (EOC) SPRING
Middle School Students
- Monday/May 3 Coordinate Algebra/Algebra I Parts I and II *(MS only) –One Day
- Friday/May 7 Physical Science Parts I and II *(MS only) –One Day Administration
High School Students
- Mon/April 19. US History Part I (11), Biology Part I (9)
- Tues/April 20. US History Part II (11), Biology Part II (9)
- Thurs/April 22. Coordinate Algebra Part I (9)/Algebra Part I (9)
- Fri/April 23. Coordinate Algebra Part II (9)/Algebra Part II (9)
- Mon/April 26. MAKE-UP DAY
- Tues/April 27. American Literature Part I (11)
- Thurs/April 2 American Literature Part II (11)
- Fri/April 30 American Literature Part III (11)
- Mon/May 3 MAKE-UP DAY
SAVE THE DATE!
Class of 2021 Graduation Dates*
Location: James R. Hallford Stadium
*Dates are subject to change.
- Miller Grove High School: May 22, 2021 @ 4:00 p.m.
- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. High School: May 25, 2021 @ 9:00 a.m.
- Southwest DeKalb High School: May 27, 2021 @ 9:00 a.m.