Mrs. Hepburn's Class Newsletter
November 18th-22nd, 2013
News this week
Castlio Elementary is a community of generous families. This week Student Council is selling turkey feathers for .50 each. Each classroom has a featherless turkey until the students purchase turkey feathers to clothe the class turkey. It's a fun event for the kids to see their class turkey grow exponentially throughout the week with the feathers they have purchased. The best part of this event is the money-raised purchases Christmas gifts for needy children through the Toys for Tots program.
Announcements this week:
The third grade students will switch their Spectra day with the fifth graders this week. The fifth grade students have a special event-taking place on Tuesday; therefore we changed days to accommodate their event.
All students have library on Wednesday.
The second graders will have Spectra on Thursday.
Third Grade English Language Arts
Phonics for the week: Suffixes -ful, -less
breathless, replace, priceless, unlikely, endless, uncover, unlawful, carefully, rebound, painful, thoughtless, forgetful, cheerful, hopefully, fearlessly, humorless, regretful, teaspoonful, boastful, unhealthful
organism-a form of life like an animal, plant or fungus
pollute-to make unclean or dirty, especially wit harmful chemicals or waste products
- write an opinion piece about which natural disaster would be the most destructive to their ecosystem
- describe relationships and cause & effects events in science using real life events such as oil spills, climate changes, pollution, etc.
- research food chains
- create a book trailer on the biography Who is Jane Goodall?
- build relationships with grade level peers by create Glogsters comparing and contrasting themselves with someone they do not know very well
Paige mixing paint for her ecosystem project
Students learning how to create book trailers
Anna trying to decide on the paint colors she would like for her ecosystem project
Second Grade Common Core English Language Arts
Phonics for the week: Vowel Team -al
final, central, metal, animal, fatal, several, medical, annual, corral, hospital, cereal, petal, normal dismal
product-something that is sold
geography-the physical characteristics, especially the surface features, of an area
landmark-an object that marks the boundary or location of something
- research the 7 continents
- determine important facts vs. just facts
- use text features to locate information more quickly
- identify main purpose of a text and text structure using A Breakfast Story, Biblioburro, The Magical Garden of Claude Monet and Seeds of Change: Wangari's Gift to the World
- create a book trailer on the text A Dog's Life
- create an interactive website using their "Flat Me's
Third Grade Math
- *Interpret whole-number quotients of whole numbers, e.g., interpret 56 ÷ 8 as the
- Use multiplication and division within 100 to solve word problems in situations involving equal groups, arrays, and measurement quantities, e.g., by using drawings and equations with a symbol for the unknown number to represent the problem.
- Determine the unknown whole number in a multiplication or division equation relating three whole numbers. For example, determine the unknown number that makes the equation
- true in each of the equations 8 × ? = 48, 5 = __÷ 3, 6 × 6 = ?.
Second Grade Math
- add and subtract two-digit numbers
- regroup numbers while adding and subtracting
- complete single and double digit word problems