September 22, 2022
Notes from Mr. Heddinger
To start the year I completed "minute meetings" with students in grades 3rd, 4th and 5th. The idea is to briefly meet with as many students as possible to start the year on a positive note, explain my role, and discuss any ways that I can help students at school. Additionally, while meeting I was able to collect some data that makes me very proud to be a part of the Hanawalt community!
- 96% of students reported that they have at least one adult they can talk to if they have a problem
- 99% of students reported that they feel welcome in their classroom
- 73% of students report that they already have a goal set for themselves entering this school year
This month in counseling class we are starting our Second Step Bullying Prevention Unit for Kindergarten through 5th grade. This unit consists of 4 lessons focusing on the following key concepts:
- Recognizing what bullying looks like, sounds like, and feels like
- Learning what reporting is and identifying safe, trusted adults to report to
- Learning assertive ways to refuse bullying
- Bystanders and the impact that bystanders have
If you have any questions, feel free to reach out.
Hanawalt Community Notes
Thanks for Attending the Annual Hanawalt Block Party!
We had a great time and great attendance at this year’s block party. Thanks to all who attended and the great volunteers who made it happen.
Save the Date: Parent Meet and Greet
Join us Tuesday, October 11 at Viva Mexican Restaurant from 5:00-7:00 pm to meet other parents, learn about plans for the year and find ways to get involved. This will be an informal gathering, stop by any time.
Sign Up Now to Volunteer
We have so many fun plans for this year and we need your help! Sign up now for volunteer roles. Be sure to check out our Read-a-thon committee. Planning will be underway soon!
24: One Run @ Botanical Gardens
29: No School
30: No School
11: Picture Re-takes
31: No School