Week 12, Day 1: Introduction to Solutions
Great job to the following students for an exceptional performance on the Module 8 test. I am proud of you all! Keep up the great work!
Module 9 is due this Friday, April 15 by 11:59 PM.
To Do (based on Pacing Guide):
- Complete any missing work from Modules 6, 7, & 8.
- View M9L1N1 . Complete the Guided Notes for Lesson 1.
- View M9L1N2 . Add any new notes / ideas to the Guided Notes for Lesson 1.
- Complete M9L1N3. Add a screenshot showing that you put the steps in the correct order to the Guided Notes for Lesson 1.
- Download the M9 Science Journal Download. You will submit this along with the Guided Notes for Lessons 1, 2, 3, & 4 at the conclusion of this module.
- Complete M9L1P. Add to the Science Journal.
- Submit M9L1 Quiz. Take until you get a "100."
Solutions are homogeneous mixtures (they appear the same throughout)
Today, you will begin solutions. A solution is a homogeneous mixture (this means that it appears to be all one substance since all its components are thoroughly mixed together). Solutions have two parts: Solute & Solvent.
- The Solute is the substance that is dissolved and is usually present in a smaller amount.
- The Solvent is the substance that does the dissolving and is usually present in the larger amount.
In this module, most of our solvents will be water. When water is the solvent, we describe the solution as being AQUEOUS and often will write (aq) to indicate that water is the solvent. To learn more about solutions, view the screencast below.