Youth Mental Health First Aid
Hosted by State Support Team Region 5
Join us for a new learning opportunity!
Then join us for this this learning opportunity designed to support adults working with youth ages 12-18 years old. Participants will complete a 2-hour self-paced online course followed by a 6 hour live virtual training. The training will focus on recognizing the patterns of thoughts, feelings, behaviors, and appearances that show there might be a mental health challenge rather than focusing on a specific illness.
Mental Health First Aid
Wednesday, May 19th, 9am-3pm
This is an online event.
- Describe the purpose of Mental Health First Aid and the role of the Mental Health First Aider
- Identify the impact of mental health and substance use challenges
- Describe the principles of safety and privacy for both the Mental Health First Aider and the person receiving first aid
- Explain the 5 steps of ALGEE Action Plan
- Recognize the signs and symptoms of mental health challenges
- Evaluate the impact of early intervention on mental health and substance use challenges.
For questions about registration, please contact Brenda Lawrence at Brenda.Lawrence@SSTR5.org
Did you know?
1 in 5 youth lives with a mental health condition
Half of all mental illnesses begin before the age of 14
Suicide is now the 2nd leading cause of death for adolescents
64% of youth with major depression do not receive any mental health treatment
Half of all substance use disorders begin before age 20.