Delran High School Broadcast
February 6, 2020
A Message from Mr. Finkle!
I can't believe that the school year is half-way gone. It just seems like yesterday that the students returned from Summer Break! Below you will find important information about the happenings here at DHS:
- Back in December, a security update was completed by Realtime Information Technology for our Parent and Student Portals. As a result, all portal users were prompted to reset their passwords when entering the portal for the first time. Please be assured that there was no security breach of our student database and that this security update was strictly routine. Posted below is the notification we received from Realtime apprising us of the imminent update.
- Congratulations to all the students who attained Principal's List and Honor Roll for the second marking period. The Principal's List students were rewarded with breakfast for their hard work and dedication in achieving academic excellence yesterday. Just a friendly reminder that the passes that students received for obtaining the Principal's List and Honor Roll cannot be used for the Spring Musical due to copyright laws. Also, the cards that were sent out have the incorrect expiration date; however, the ticket-sellers have a list of the Marking Period 2 Honor Roll awardees.
- A Message from the Diversity Club: Members of Delran High School’s Diversity Club spent time Tuesday reflecting on the impact versus the intent of our kick-off to Black History Month. Our goal as members of the Diversity Club is to appreciate and celebrate the rich racial, ethnic and cultural heritages that help form our identities. We want to intentionally celebrate the cultures and diversity of DHS students and staff by going beyond simple bulletin board displays. This year we attempted something new, hoping to create a celebratory buzz as we entered into February. We also wanted to get the word out about two upcoming movie nights at the high school. We quickly realized that the candy gram movie advertisements created a range of impacts; some of which we had not anticipated. Regardless of our intention, we acknowledge that some students felt uncomfortable, some students were confused, some students were appreciative, and some students felt left out. We are sorry that our well-meaning intentions fell short of our actual goal. We pledge to work to do better as we move forward in our mission of learning about and appreciating the diversity that makes Delran special. We are looking forward to the school’s Black History Month themed movie nights. We are hoping to see many of you there as all are welcome and no tickets are required. There will be light snacks, but feel free to bring some of your own as well. The first movie night will be Thursday, February 13th from 6:00 - 8:30 pm in the high school cafeteria. The movie will be The Hate You Give. A movie discussion will follow the film. Thank you. Members of the DHS Diversity Club
- Graduation Cap and Gown measurements for all seniors will be held on Wednesday, February 12th at 6:00 pm in the cafeteria. A meeting for parents of seniors traveling to Disney will be held immediately after Gap and Gown measurements at 7:00 pm in the Performing Arts Center. This meeting is mandatory as a great deal of information will be disseminated and all of your questions answered. Please mark your calendars!
- School will be closed on Friday, February 14th for a Staff In-service Day and on Monday, February 17th for President's Day. Happy Valentine's Day and enjoy the long weekend!
- As scheduling continues, please be reminded that the last day to submit a Scheduling Waiver Form for academic courses is Friday, February 28th. There will be no exceptions to this date. Click here for all the necessary information.
- You are cordially invited to our Spring Musical, Mamma Mia, which will be held on February 28th, 29th, March 6th, 7th at 7:30 pm and March 8th at 2:00 pm. Detailed information is posted below. We are looking forward to our students' performances!
If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact me at email@example.com or (856) 461-6100 x3005.
DHS Calendar of Events
- 2/7 Bear - 3
- 2/8 ACT
- 2/11 PTA Meeting, 7:00 pm
- 2/12 RCBC Accuplacer
- 2/12 Senior Cap & Gown Measurements, 6:00 pm
- 2/12 Senior Trip Parent Mtg., 7:00 pm
- 2/14 School Closed - Staff In-service Day
- 2/17 School Closed - President's Day
- 2/18 DHS Science Fair
- 2/21 Activity 4
- 2/22 Detention
- 2/28 Spring Musical (Mamma Mia), 7:30 pm
- 2/28 Qtr. 3 Mid Quarter
- 2/28 Waivers Due
- 2/29 Spring Musical (Mamma Mia), 7:30 pm
- View Full Calendar
Congrats Principal's List & Honor Roll Students
Principal's List Students
Congratulations January Students of the Month
Congratulations to Kylie Pietras and Lara Melowho were nominated to be our January Students of the Month!
Kylie Pietras is one of our Transition Project Vice Presidents and has done an amazing job making our Adopt-A-Family Program a huge success this holiday season! She organized almost twenty families to help and has done a masterful job keeping all parents and children's gifts in order. She even took it upon herself to create different trivia games, riddles, and word scrambles to keep each class entertained week after week after they were done planning for their assigned family. I have been around a number of special students in my 16 years as a teacher/coach/advisor, but Kylie is 1 of a kind. She is a prime example of what a Peer Leader and is extremely deserving of this award!
Lara Melo has shown academic excellence since she began at Delran High School. She is dedicated to not only doing the best work possible in science, but her grades are also outstanding in all of her classes. In addition, when asked about her reading habits outside of the classroom; Lara mentioned that she loves to read in both English and Portuguese. It was mentioned that the staff would like to consider adding Portuguese and Turkish written books to the summer reading lists. Lara enthusiastically embraced the idea. She worked to compile a list of appropriate and engaging books that were first written in Portuguese. She added a brief summary of each book to her list and added things to consider for those selecting summer reading books. This list was forwarded to the administration. Lara models what it means to be a top-notch learner both in formal and informal settings. She definitely deserves this recognition.
Congratulations Kylie and Lara!
Congratulations to Ahmed Johnson on officially becoming a Wagner Seahawk!
PTA Reflections Winners
Congratulations to the following County Reflections Winners:
Literature: Alyssa Marraffino, Corinne Langowski
Music Composition: Olivia Jones
Film: Nathan Spano
Photography: Gavin Moore, Emily Budzyn
Visual Arts: J'son Robinson, Skye Jung
Their pieces will be judged at the State level!
Read All About It
February 28th & 29th at 7:30 pm
March 6th & 7th at 7:30 pm
March 8th at 2:00 pm
Seniors & Children Under 10 $10.00
Tickets can be purchased online. Visit www.showtix4u.com. You can also purchase tickets in person beginning 1 hour before each performance.
**ONLINE TICKET SALES BEGIN ON WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 12TH!**
District Website Redesign
We are looking to redesign the district website using one of the following templates after feedback from our stakeholders. You are an important stakeholder in terms of using the website and we would like your input regarding which template is your favorite design. In a previous survey, stakeholders noted the district needs were the following in terms of the website redesign:
- Easy to navigate
- Accessible updated calendar
- Well organized format
- Visually appealing
Please take into account these needs when assessing each template. We appreciate your input! We ask that you complete the survey by 2/7/2020. The survey can be found HERE.
Director of Curriculum and Instruction
Affirmative Action Officer
Delran Township School District
RCBC Startup Stars Competition 2020
RCBC is excited to announce this year's revamped Startup Stars Competition at Rowan College at Burlington County! Startup Stars is an opportunity for high school students, RCBC students, and community members to submit business plans for an original startup idea. Competitors submit a plan using a provided template and finalists from each of the three populations will be selected to make a live pitch to a panel of judges for the chance to win prizes.
Details are available at rcbc.edu/startupstars. The deadline to submit is Wednesday, March 4th, 2020.
To help competitors prepare their proposals, we are hosting a resource fair and offering research support at the RCBC Mount Laurel Campus from 3:30 - 5:30 pm on Wednesday, February 12th in Laurel Hall 320. A flyer with more details will be posted to the Startup Stars website. Please feel free to reach to firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Scheduling for 2020-2021 School Year
We are in the process of scheduling for the 2020-2021 academic year. If you and your child would like to override the teacher's recommendation, a Waiver Form must be completed prior to Friday, February 28th. Guidance Counselors will begin meeting with students the last week of January through mid-March to review the teacher recommendations and electives they chose. Ninth graders will be seen first, followed by 10th and 11th graders. This is a change from years past; however, understand that these meetings are held only to choose the courses for next year. When a student meets with his/her counselor has no bearing on what courses are actually scheduled. Courses are not first-come, first-served. The scheduling program is designed to meet all student's needs.
DHS SAT Crash Course
Attention Junior and Senior Parents:
Don’t let your child miss out on Scholarship Opportunities! New scholarship information is posted as it is received and there are opportunities in many varied areas of study. Get the information you need to apply under the Guidance Department section of our website or have your student stop in the Guidance Office to inquire about available scholarships!
All students 10th -12th have an account.
Naviance is a web-based tool that allows your student to explore their values, personality, strengths and correlate them to career clusters. It directs them to colleges with suggested majors so that they can build a list of colleges to explore.
Seniors and Juniors can see upcoming college visitations and request to attend directly in Naviance.
All students should be building their personal activity resume.
Ask your student to share with you what they are doing in Naviance.
Is your senior ready to send out college applications this fall? Click here to review what to do this summer to prepare for college admissions.
Students at all grade levels are encouraged to begin exploring colleges. Build colleges of interest in Naviance and plan campus visitations.
Throughout the school year scholarships are posted on the Guidance webpage, listed in Naviance, search engines are in Collegeboard.org, and Fast-web.com.
Click here for currently available scholarships.
Mr. Guidotti's Newsflash
We are at the halfway point for Delran Winter Athletics and everyone is starting to think about playoffs.
The Boys’ and Girls’ Bowling team and the Unified Bowling team concluded their seasons yesterday at the BCSL Open at Laurel Lanes. Every student on each team had a great time and gave outstanding effort all year. The seniors on each team will be missed dearly. Congratulations on a wonderful season! You made the Delran community very proud.
The Girls’ Basketball team came away with a convincing 60-20 victory over Bordentown over the weekend. The girls are gelling at the right time and ready to start thinking about the playoffs. Their next game is Friday, February 7th against Pennsauken.
The Boys’ Basketball team improved their record to 12-5 with a victory at Buena on Monday, February 3rd. Senior Glenn Morrison scored his 1000th point during that game. Congratulations Glenn! Their next game is away at Pemberton on Friday, February 7th.
The Wrestling team defeated Rancocas Valley, 55-15, on Monday, February 3rd. Their next match will be Friday, February 7th at Sterling. In addition, the wrestling team earned a six seed in the NJSIAA state team tournament. Their first-round match will be Monday, February 10th at Rumson Fair-Haven High School. Good luck Bears!
The Swim team earned a 7 seed in the NJSIAA state team tournament. On Monday, February 3rd, the team competed against Red Bank Regional at the Neptune Aquatic Center in the first round. The result was not what they wanted but the team showed great effort in the pool and all season. Each member of the team should be very proud of their performance this Winter.
"Beyond The Scoreboard" - A video that explains the many benefits of participating in athletics.
If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact me at email@example.com or (856) 461-6100 x3000.
Spring Sports Physical Exams Due
If your child plans to play a Spring sport for Delran High School, please submit a valid physical exam to the Attendance Clerk or the Director of Athletics as soon as it is completed. Do not wait. Family ID for Spring sports is now open for registration.
Reminder: If your child uses an inhaler, an Asthma Treatment Plan Form must be completed by the doctor when the physical exam is being conducted. Asthma Treatment Plan Forms can be obtained online or in the main office.
If your child has vision in either eye of less than 20/40, he/she must get a note from an eye doctor clearing them for participation.
Watch Every DHS Game
Having trouble getting to Delran High School winter events? Subscribe to the Delran page on www.nfhsnetwork.com. Once you have subscribed, you can watch all basketball games and wrestling matches from the comfort of your home. The subscription is $10.00 a month or $40.00 for the entire Winter season. If you cannot watch the games live, they become on-demand options shortly after the contest. If you have more questions, please contact the Director of Athletics.
Class of 2020 Headquarters
DHS Blanket for Sale
It’s Not Too Late to Order a 2020 “Spirit” yearbook!
A limited number of yearbooks are available for LATE sales now until they are all sold. Only the basic book package is available at the late sale price of $90.00. Books can be purchased on this website www.jostensyearbooks.com or you can place an order with Ms. Justine Carey in Guidance. Checks must be made payable to DHS Special Funds - YEARBOOK.
Senior Parent Ads - Baby Pictures
Go to jostensadservice.com to build your ad. The yearbook staff invites parents of seniors to add their personal touch to our publication by submitting a baby and/or childhood photo(s) of your child through the years along with a personal message. This commemorative can be as small or as large as you need for incorporating your memory and message. Purchase a FULL PAGE and DHS YEARBOOK CLUB will give you a FREE yearbook. The deadline has been extended to Thursday, February 13th.
Want a FREE yearbook?
You can earn a discount on the purchase price of the 2020 yearbook by selling advertising space to local businesses. Download the advertising contract from our webpage and take it to community businesses and ask them to help support the students of Delran High School SPIRT by their participation in our advertising section.
Make sure to enter your full name at the top of the contract so that you earn the discount!
Your yearbook will be discounted based on the total amount of advertising sold:
FULL page: FREE
1/2 page: $41.50
1/4 page: $20.75
1/8 page: $10.25
If you have any questions, please contact me at (856) 461-6100 x3012 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ad commitments must be returned to Ms. Justine Carey by February 13, 2020.
Alumni Walk Information
Senior Calendar of Events
- 2/12 Cap & Gown Measurements, 6 pm
- 2/12 Senior Trip Parent Mtg., 7 pm
- 2/21 Senior Trip Medical Forms Due to the Main Office
- 3/9 Senior Trip Luggage Check, 6-7 pm
- 3/10-3/14 Senior Trip
- 3/20 Senior Big Picture Outdoors, 8:45 am
- 4/3 Prom Fashion Show
- 5/6 Mr. Delran Contest, 6:30 pm
- 5/7 Academic Awards Evening, 6:30 pm
- 5/29 Junior/Senior Prom
- 6/2 Senior Night, 6 pm
- 6/4 Scholarship Night, 6:30 pm
- 6/18 Graduation Rehearsal, 12 pm
- 6/19 Graduation Rehearsal, 9 am
- 6/19 Graduation, 7 pm
- 6/19 Project Graduation, 9:30 pm
DELRAN HIGH SCHOOL NITTY GRITTIES
Stay informed with Mr. Finkle's previous Broadcasts!