Revolutionary War by Caleb Kammerer
The British Victories
Who? British and Patriot Soldiers
The British won several battles. Here are a few of them.
- Bunker Hill
- Battle of Fort Washington
- The Battle of Long Island
- When the British retook Fort Ticonderoga
- First Battle of Saratoga
- The Battle of Brandywine
- A surprise attack on the Americans
- Battle of Germantown
- The Siege of Savannah
- Battle of Camden
- The Siege of Charleston
- Battle of Waxhaws
- Battle for Guilford and Eutaw Springs
- The Battle of Bunker Hill was fought on June 17,1775.
- The Battle of Fort Washington was fought on November 16, 1776.
- The Battle of Long Island was fought on August 27, 1776.
- On July 5, 1777 the British retook Fort Ticonderoga.
- On September 19, 1777 the First Battle of Saratoga was fought by the British.
- In September the Battle of Brandywine was fought by the British.
- On September 23, 1777, Cornwallis surprises Washington's troops and slaughters them.
- The British fought the Battle of Germantown in October, 1777.
- The British fought the Siege of Savannah on December 29, 1778.
- They fought for Camden in 1780.
- They battled the Patriots for Charleston in April 1780.
- The British battled for Waxhaws in 1780.
- They also fought the Patriots for Guilford and Eutaw Springs in 1781.
- The Battle of Bunker Hill was fought on Breed's Hill, Charlestown, Massachusetts.
- The Battle of Long Island was fought on Brooklyn Heights, Long Island, in New York.
- The Battle of Fort Washington was fought on Washington Heights, Manhattan, in New York.
- The Battle of Brandywine was fought in Near Chadds Ford, Pennsylvania.
- The first Battle of Saratoga was fought in Saratoga County, New York.
- The Battle of Germantown was fought in Germantown, Pennsylvania.
- The Siege of Savannah was fought in Savannah, Georgia.
- The Siege of Charleston was fought in Charleston, South Carolina.
- The Battle of Camden was Fought north of Camden, South Carolina.
- The Battle of Guildford House was fought at Guildford Courthouse, in North Carolina.
- The Battle of Eutaw Springs was fought in Eutawville, South Carolina.
Other Interesting Fact
- In every battle, except Lexington and Concord, the British captured at least 30 Americans.
- Out of 39 battles in the Revolutionary War the British won 14.
- In 1775, the British won 2 battles. In 1776, the British won 3 battles. In 1777, the British won 4 battles. In 1778, the British won 1 battle. In 1780, the British won 2 battles. And in 1781 the British won 2 battles.
“American Revolution: Northern Campaign, 1777.” Map. Britannica.com. N.p., n.d. Web. 17 Mar. 2016. <http://school.eb.com/levels/high/search/images?query=British%20victories%20in%20the%20american%20revolution&includeLevelThree=1&page=1>.
Battle of Charleston. By Edugator. youTube. YouTube, n.d. Web. 18 Mar. 2016. <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BD8gAgjzH4k>.
Butler, Jackie. “Battle of Long Island.” Pinterest. N.p., n.d. Web. 29 Mar. 2016. <https://www.pinterest.com/pin/191966002839116838/>.
Maestro, Besty. Liberty or Death. Illus. Giulio Maestro. New York: HarperCollins, 2005. Print.“Revolutionary Battles.” Colonial America. Colonial America, n.d. Web. 31 Mar. 2016. <http://www.landofthebrave.info/revolutionary-battles.htm>.